Official Week 10 2023 Chargers game day thread

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Rodgers would miss some of those. Got lucky it didn't bite them in the end.
But let’s be honest, Love has done that on a fairly regular basis this entire season. And that is still the big question I have about him, and I think up to this point, it is a legit question.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But let’s be honest, Love has done that on a fairly regular basis this entire season. And that is still the big question I have about him, and I think up to this point, it is a legit question.

So the crazy thing about his deep ball is sometimes it is gorgeous, like next level. It is why going into the game yesterday he had the most thirty plus yard passes in the entire league.

He however clearly prefers an under thrown to many ball type, where a play on the ball is always in play. He rarely ever on deep balls over throws his man - despite the arm strength being there. Only the staff and team know if that is intentional or if it’s truly a sign of weak arm strength or just poor gauge of placement.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the crazy thing about his deep ball is sometimes it is gorgeous, like next level. It is why going into the game yesterday he had the most thirty plus yard passes in the entire league.

He however clearly prefers an under thrown to many ball type, where a play on the ball is always in play. He rarely ever on deep balls over throws his man - despite the arm strength being there. Only the staff and team know if that is intentional or if it’s truly a sign of weak arm strength or just poor gauge of placement.
I don’t at all get the sense it’s an arm strength issue. He can get the distance and it even seems like he’s got enough “pure arm strength” to get it there without being totally set (a lot of guys really have to get a good leg plant to push the ball far enough; I feel like Love *can* push it far enough without being perfectly planted/set). So I don’t know if it’s an intentional thing or if it’s even just a mental error that’s causing him to put it short. But it seems like if the pass needs to be 40 yards, he’s throwing it 35. If it needs to be 30, he’s throwing it 25.

So just don’t know exactly. I wonder if he doesn’t feel like there’s more of a chance for a pick with a longer ball/one with more air under it? But my armchair-assessment makes me think it’s more of a mental thing than physical.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t at all get the sense it’s an arm strength issue. He can get the distance and it even seems like he’s got enough “pure arm strength” to get it there without being totally set (a lot of guys really have to get a good leg plant to push the ball far enough; I feel like Love *can* push it far enough without being perfectly planted/set). So I don’t know if it’s an intentional thing or if it’s even just a mental error that’s causing him to put it short. But it seems like if the pass needs to be 40 yards, he’s throwing it 35. If it needs to be 30, he’s throwing it 25.

So just don’t know exactly. I wonder if he doesn’t feel like there’s more of a chance for a pick with a longer ball/one with more air under it? But my armchair-assessment makes me think it’s more of a mental thing than physical.
I also would bet against a theory of weak arm, I have no doubt personally he has the strength.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also would bet against a theory of weak arm, I have no doubt personally he has the strength.
Watching da'Bears game (couldn't watch GB being in IL) Fields overthrew Moore in quarter2 by 2-3 yds. 3rd quarter same play & Fields hit Moore in stride for 6.

Maybe Love needs MORE shots downfield than 1 every 2 or 3 games?

IIRC, much of Watson's success last year were short to mid crossers where he could run away from defender. Don't remember many of those patterns in '23...mostly deep sideline patterns. Get the ball in hishands & watch him run.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When he goes deep to Watson; he certainly needs to get the ball off quicker imho.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching da'Bears game (couldn't watch GB being in IL) Fields overthrew Moore in quarter2 by 2-3 yds. 3rd quarter same play & Fields hit Moore in stride for 6.

IIRC, much of Watson's success last year were short to mid crossers where he could run away from defender. Don't remember many of those patterns in '23...mostly deep sideline patterns. Get the ball in hishands & watch him run.
One per every two or three? What?! He was leading the league in 30 plus yard completions!? You don’t do that rarely throwing deep.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Herbert showed arm strength. He fired ropes 15-20 yards down field the DBs didn't have time to get to. Love puts air under the same pass. He gets the ball 40 yards but it arches like a punt to get it there.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I remember that also. Rodgers hitting him in stride and then off to the races.