Official Training Camp Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ Exactly my point. The Ahman from 06 is not the Ahman from 03 which is why I think the Packers can cope with that lost but he's still needs to be replaced and that's what I want Jackson to do. Replace Ahman running the ball first and then hopefully his ability to block can get better which I think it can.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SATURDAY NIGHT FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE

Scrimmage wrap-up

The last 2-minute drill ended the same as the first two -- with an interception. Will Blackmon picked off Paul Thompson on an ill-advised throw toward Robert Ferguson, ending the last team period.

The scrimmage closed with a field-goal competition between Mason Crosby and Dave Rayner, who finished 8-of-11 to Crosby's 9-of-11. Rayner missed twice from 52 yards and once from 36; Crosby missed from 38 and 49.

Final passing stats: Brett Favre 13-of-15, 156 yards, TD, INT; Aaron Rodgers 12-of-22, 134 yards, no TDs, one INT; Ingle Martin 2-of-7, 7 yards; Thompson 4-of-8, 45 yards, INT.

Leading rushers: Noah Herron 5-29, Brandon Jackson 6-20, DeShawn Wynn 4-12, Corey White 4-11. Total 25-94.

Leading receivers: Carlyle Holiday 5-55, Donald Driver 4-72, Greg Jennings 4-31, Robert Ferguson 3-24.

Leading tackles: Frank Walker 7 (6 solo), Tracy White 6, A.J. Hawk 5, Spencer Havner 5.

No practice Sunday. Players will be on the field at 2 p.m. Monday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No luck in 2-minute drill

The defense got even in the 2-minute drill, intercepting Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers in the end zone. Nick Collins picked off Favre on the starters' ninth play, a pass intended for Donald Driver. The No. 2 offense ran 10 plays -- and committed back-to-back penalties that put them in a second-and-goal situation at the 29 -- before Tramon Williams intercepted Rodgers on a long fade intended for Ruvell Martin. The penalties so far have been staggering, with eight in the 11-on-11 periods.

No. 1 defense allows little

The second-team offense managed only two first downs in its first two drives -- and one of them was on an interference call against safety Marquand Manuel. But with reserves rotating into the starting defense, Aaron Rodgers' group got moving, driving 70 yards in nine plays to set up a 23-yard field goal for Mason Crosby, who converted from the left hash. The inefficiency of the first two drives might have bought Rodgers more time on the field. Scheduled for 15 plays, they'd already run 13 before the final drive and finished with 22.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. 1 offense strikes first

Brett Favre and the Packers' starting offense was nearly flawless on its first two drives of the Family Night scrimmage. Playing against the No. 2 defense, Favre was 5-for-5 on the opening nine-play, 75-yard drive and hit Donald Driver for a 12-yard score. A long completion to Driver set up another score on the next drive, capped by a Brandon Jackson plunge after the defense was flagged on the previous play. Favre is 9-for-9 so far, with a couple of long balls to Driver and a tough completion in traffic to rookie running back Brandon Jackson. Yeah, he's throwing against a defense with Frank Walker and Will Blackmon at the corners, but he's sharp.

Woodson, Harris not in uniform

Cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris both are sitting out tonight's scrimmage. Neither had missed a mandatory practice in training camp, though Woodson had sat out some periods this week. The Packers got a little help for the scrimmage with the return of tight end Zac Alcorn, who sat out Friday because of foot problems. That gives the Packers three tight ends, including Donald Lee and former basketball player Joe Werner. Rookie Clark Harris (ankle) and Bubba Franks (eye) are not in uniform. Linebacker Rory Johnson (abdomen) and running back Vernand Morency (knee) also are out. Cornerback Antonio Malone (knee) is in uniform.

Scrimmage to last 1 hour, 45 minutes

Packers players will be introduced at 7:30. The live-tackling scrimmage will go from 7:45 until approximately 9:30. A fireworks show will end the festivities. Family Night is being televised on several FOX stations throughout Wisconsin.

4th straight sellout for Family Night

This marks the fourth straight year every available seat in the Lambeau Field bowl is sold out for Family Night. An official crowd total will be released later in the evening. Attendance at this event over the years includes:

1999 - 46,420
2000 - 50,240
2001 - 48,898
2004 - 60,217
2005 - 62,492
2006 - 62,701

Family Night was not held in 2002 and 2003 due to the renovation of the stadium.

Stands almost full at Family Night

The Family Night scrimmage doesn't begin until 7:45 p.m., but most of the crowd has arrived here at Lambeau Field. Players are set to take the field for warmups in about five minutes. The schedule for the scrimmage includes: 50 regular offensive plays, spread out over three drives; four 2-minute drills; and five special-teams periods. Mike Vandermause and I will have updates as things go along.

One quick aside as the Frisbee Dogs conclude their performance here -- think the Falcons will have a promotion like this before any games this season?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little warning that that was about family night woulda been great, cuz im trying to watch it at 10 without knowing how people do.

Cmon, Tophat.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey tromadz do you mind making another family night scrimmage vid like last year for all the people who cant watch it ? thanks

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the receivers looked good. The running game did not but then again they really didn't run the ball that much in the scrimmage. Jackson saw like a few carries as did Herron. Actually I haven't re watched it but off the top of my head Wynn carried the ball the most I think. I could be a little of there but it seems that way off the top of my head. That's one thing I hope McCarthy does next week against the Steelers. Run the ball.

Also the first drive by the offense was fantastic. Favre looked better there then he has since the 49er game.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the receivers looked good. The running game did not but then again they really didn't run the ball that much in the scrimmage. Jackson saw like a few carries as did Herron. Actually I haven't re watched it but off the top of my head Wynn carried the ball the most I think. I could be a little of there but it seems that way off the top of my head. That's one thing I hope McCarthy does next week against the Steelers. Run the ball.

Also the first drive by the offense was fantastic. Favre looked better there then he has since the 49er game.

Yeah, that first drive was great, although it lost some of its luster when I found out they were playing against the second team defense.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE: JSONLINE REPORTS

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=642659

Offense...make a good first impression

The widely doubted offense of the Green Bay Packers, especially quarterback Aaron Rodgers, had every reason to leave Lambeau Field on Saturday night feeling rather bullish about itself. For one of the first times in his career, Rodgers offered some tangible evidence that he is improving and might one day be a suitable successor to Brett Favre, and the offense moved the ball pretty much at will other than a pair of end-zone interceptions. With a crowd of 59,362 watching the intrasquad scrimmage on a beautiful midsummer night, Rodgers completed 12 of 21 passes for 138 yards in one of his best moments since arriving in the first round in 2005.

The evaluation process, however, was skewed. Quarterbacks weren't allowed to be touched, and the threat of physical violence can make all the difference in the world at that position. Still, any National Football League scout that paid for an $8 ticket to the event probably would have come away thinking Rodgers looks like a somewhat different player than the skittish youngster of the last two exhibition seasons. In general, coach Mike McCarthy saw reasons for optimism in the first exposure to live tackling for his second team in Green Bay. "I'll tell you this," McCarthy said. "I feel a lot better about our football team tonight than I did when I stood here last year."

Rodgers was far from perfect. Directing the No. 2 offense against the No. 1 defense, he was able to generate just two first downs and 16 yards in two possessions totaling 12 plays. He had a pass batted down at the line and he threw wildly to Carlyle Holiday on a ball that was nearly intercepted by safety Atari Bigby, but he also was under constant pressure. On his third possession, Rodgers drove the No. 2 offense 71 yards in nine plays to set up a 23-yard field goal by Mason Crosby. He faced a blend of first- and second-string defenders on that series. In that drive, Rodgers threw a 20-yard completion to the closely covered Holiday on a bootleg, hit James Jones in a stride on a crossing route for 21 and found Ruvell Martin for 11 on a slant. When the scrimmage shifted to two-minute drills, Rodgers led the No. 2 offense on a nine-play, 66-yard sortie against mostly a backup defense. Rodgers opened by coming off his second read and finding Holiday in the middle for 12. He zipped an out to Robert Ferguson for 11. On second and 10, he refused to vacate the pocket prematurely and, at the last instant, swung the ball out in the left flat to the wide-open Brandon Jackson for 23. Rodgers gunned a 9-yard touchdown pass to Martin in the back of the end zone, but it was nullified when Martin was penalized for pushing off. A holding penalty against tackle Orrin Thompson set up a second-and-27 at the 29 when Rodgers threw his interception.

Instead of looking elsewhere, Rodgers stayed with his favorite target, Martin, on a go route on the left side. Martin was alone against cornerback Traman Williams, but Williams came back for the interception. "Maybe more on the receiver," McCarthy said. "It was a one-on-one situation. Two guys went up for the ball. It was a two-minute situation and we had to have a touchdown. It really was more the result of penalties." Rodgers was more poised and decisive than in the past. He threw a live ball and generally was on target. And his body language was more that of a confident leader than someone who at times looked as if he were attempting to transfer blame. "He threw the ball very well," McCarthy said. "Aaron looked sharp. On the one sack he may have come out a little early. He threw the ball into tight spots. Our first two quarterbacks were very sharp." By the time Rodgers took the field, the No. 1 offense had two touchdowns in a rather startling performance.

Brett Favre, who missed five practices last week after the death of his wife's stepfather, was on fire, completing 13 of 15 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown. On a nine-play, 75-yard drive capped by Donald Driver's 11-yard scoring catch, Favre simply carved up the No. 2 defense. The pattern continued on the next possession when Favre put a long ball right on the money to Driver for 33 on a fade against Frank Walker. Then, he spotted Jackson flying down the left seam a step or two ahead of linebacker Tracy White and put it on him for 25 yards to the 1. Jackson powered over on the next play. Favre produced four first downs but then, on third and 1 at the 13, he looked left and then came right into the end zone for Driver against Will Blackmon. But safety Nick Collins was in the throwing lane, intercepted 3 yards deep and returned it 63 yards. "I'd say that was more of an underthrow," McCarthy said. "Brett had a play at the line. They were not on the same page." On the injury front, McCarthy listed fullback Brandon Miree (stinger), running back P.J. Pope (knee) and two players, linebacker Abdul Hodge and Bigby, with dislocated fingers.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=642660

Blackmon, Bush distinguish selves. CBs are impressive during scrimmage

There was a breakthrough in the crowded field behind Green Bay Packers starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson on Saturday night. A pair of second-year cornerbacks whom the Green Bay Packers have had high hopes for this off-season stood out during the team's intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field, the team's first live-tackling event of the summer. Will Blackmon and Jarrett Bush will sleep soundly after striking iron in a heated race to become the No. 3 cornerback in the Packers' secondary. Easily the two best athletes of the group fighting for position, Bush and Blackmon made the best of their live opportunity. "I was excited," said Blackmon, who had three tackles, an interception and pass broken up. "This week of practice was a little bit shaky, so I had to turn it on in game time. Fortunately, I showed them I can do my stuff." As a whole, it was a good night for the No. 1 defense, which held the No. 2 offense, led by backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers, to 16 yards on two series totaling 12 plays. The lone black mark was a 19-yard pass-interference penalty committed by safety Marquand Manuel that kept the second drive alive. Rodgers drove the offense 71 yards on nine plays against a combination of 1s and 2s in the third live period, but he had to settle for a field goal after Bush broke up a sharp throw to receiver Ruvell Martin in the corner of the end zone.

The No. 1s let starting quarterback Brett Favre **** and dunk them during the 2-minute drill portion of the scrimmage until the offense made it down to the 39-yard line. A questionable pass-interference call on linebacker A.J. Hawk, who seemed to have blanket coverage on tight end Donald Lee, got the offense to the 22. But the defense held when Favre either misread a coverage or had a bad route run on him and safety Nick Collins picked off his pass in the end zone. Collins returned the interception 63 yards. Bush has been having a very solid camp and got a chance to start alongside Patrick Dendy when coach Mike McCarthy decided to give Harris and Woodson the night off. It was clearly a calculated move on his part so he could get a good long look at his backups. Blackmon, meanwhile, made the biggest leap of any cornerback. He had started out slowly in training camp but came out ready to play both at wide cornerback and in the slot in nickel situations. Lining up with the No. 2s opposite veteran Frank Walker, Blackmon broke up a third-down pass to Robert Ferguson on third and 3 on his first series. Then after the offense converted and later faced a fourth and 8 from the defense's 47, Blackmon had excellent coverage on Ferguson's corner route and forced an incomplete pass. He had two interceptions in the scrimmage against the No. 3 offense, the first of which was negated when a coverage penalty was called on another player. But he ended a drive by jumping an out route and picking off fourth-string quarterback Paul Thompson late in the scrimmage.

After moving from cornerback to wide receiver his senior year at Boston College, the fourth-round pick missed almost all of last season with foot and rib injuries and struggled with some injuries during the off-season. But all along the Packers thought he had the size and athletic ability to be one of their top young cornerbacks. "Last year was like a redshirt year for me," Blackmon said. "Last year, I made my transition from wide receiver back to cornerback, so that was pretty tough. It was unfortunate I had that year off, but it also helped transform me back to a defensive back." Bush, meanwhile, didn't disappoint during his starting opportunity. He gave up a 5-yard crossing route to rookie receiver James Jones and was in good position to defend receiver Ferguson when Manuel made early contact and drew his penalty. He allowed running back Noah Herron to slip his tackle on a pass in the flat during the 2-minute drill but otherwise was up to the task of starting on the left side. "I made some plays on the ball and I made some tackles," said Bush, who had one tackle and pass broken up. "I'm busting my butt trying to get there. I have to keep working and keep grinding. I have to keep working and pushing. Just being a (rookie) free agent (last year), nobody is guaranteed everything, so I have to keep working."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=642658

Notes: Rayner, Crosby put best feet forward. Kicking battle starts to heat up

The battle for the kicking job between incumbent Dave Rayner and rookie sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby was on full display Saturday night during the Green Bay Packers' intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field.And the fight is on. The stadium announcer asked fans to make noise and do the wave while the Beastie Boys squealed about their fight for their right to party over the loudspeakers during the field-goal attempts. The cacophony was an attempt to create the kind of road atmosphere the kickers would face under pressure. It wasn't exactly as unnerving as a recent practice, when their teammates were asked to squirt water from bottles at them while they made their attempts, but it was distracting enough.

"I didn't expect it; we really didn't know what exactly to expect, that whole period," Rayner said. "We were just kind of told to be ready. I think it's good. Distractions are good as long it's not water bottles. Yelling and screaming, that's fine, because that's game like." Rayner was 8 of 11; he hit his attempts from 25, 28, 31 and 38 yards but missed a 36-yarder in the first round of kicks. Crosby was 9 of 11; he made all of his from 25, 28, 31, 36 and 38 in the first round. Then in the second round, after missing from 38 from the left hash, Crosby hit from 40, 49 and 52 twice, while missing once at 49 from the right hash. Rayner converted from 38, 40 and 49 twice, while missing twice from 52. Rayner wasn't overly upset at missing from 52 while Crosby made it. "I hit the ball well," Rayner said. "That last (52)-yarder, I hit that thing as pure as any in my life. It went right. . . . We only attempted three field goals over 50 yards all of last year." Crosby also made a 23-yarder for the second-team offense.

Their performances came on the heels of a subpar practice Friday. Then, Crosby converted 3 of 5 attempts, missing right from 41 and 44 yards. Rayner converted 3 of 6, kicking left twice and getting blocked on another. Both kickers began the scrimmage strong, kicking into the end zone. Rayner had kickoffs of 72 yards (3.87 seconds hang time) and 67 (4.13). Crosby had kickoffs of 72 yards twice (4.0 and 4.19). Newcomer Ryan Dougherty had an impressive high punt of 42 yards (4.59 hang time) in the punt coverage phase of the scrimmage. Jon Ryan punted a 48-yarder (4.38). Later in the punt return phase, Ryan booted a 44-yarder while Dougherty put up a 55-yard punt.

Special teams hints

Three key players were on the special teams kickoff coverage unit - receiver Robert Ferguson, who is coming off of back-to-back injury-riddled seasons; sixth-round pick Korey Hall, a fullback; and third-round pick Aaron Rouse, a safety. A player who can contribute to special teams has the best chance of making the final roster. Ferguson caught a couple passes from Aaron Rodgers with the second-team offense after having a solid week of practice. It was his first action since his season-ending foot injury Oct. 2. "My foot feels great; I feel comfortable," said Ferguson, who had three catches for 24 yards. "I've just been looking forward to getting out there and making some plays."

Return game

With Vernand Morency out with a knee injury, the Packers looked at Shaun Bodiford, DeShawn Wynn and David Clowney as kick returners. On the first, Bodiford was off to the races with a 30-yard return (54 not counting a penalty on the play). He was pushed out finally by Rayner. Clowney was tagged by cornerback Will Blackmon on his return, wiping out a touchdown.

First on turf

The Packers got their first feel of the new playing surface at Lambeau Field, called DD GrassMaster. The natural grass surface that is reinforced with man-made fibers was installed in a months-long project in the off-season, over a new drainage and heating system. "If it holds like it did out there, I think the field will be great," Rayner said. It is the same surface the team practices on at Clarke Hinkle Field. "The turf felt great," Ferguson said. "Pretty sturdy. Old field was a little loose. This felt great."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE: SUMMARY

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/2007/08/observations-on-family-night-scrimmage.html

Observations on "Family Night" scrimmage

The Packers held their annual "Family Night" scrimmage in Lambeau Field tonight. And, as always, 60,000 fans show up -- actually pay -- to watch the action. Only in Green Bay. And that's said with pride. Of course, for those who couldn't make it to Lambeau, the scrimmage was carried live on statewide TV. Only in Wisconsin. And, again, that's said with pride. A few observations, in no particular order:

Brett Favre directed two opening TD drives against the #2 defense, looking extremely sharp on his throws. Both Donald Driver and Gregg Jennings made some excellent catches. Later, in a two minute drill, Brett was intercepted by Nick Collins on a bad throw to the endzone.

Shaun Bodiford had a nice kickoff run back, finally being forced out of bounds by the kicker, Dave Rayner. David Clowney, rookie wide receiver, returned a kickoff for a TD. It should be noted in both cases, though, that there was no tackling allowed on special teams during the scrimmage. Still, both Bodiford and Clowney showed exceptional speed.

The #1 defensive line seemed to put constant pressure on backup QB Aaron Rodgers who looked, well, like Aaron Rodgers under pressure. When given time, however, Rodgers completed some nice throws...not including an ill-advised toss up interception in the endzone.

Third-year RB Noah Herron now is the "oldest" back on the team in terms of tenure with the Packers. Scary, isn't it?

Rookie QB Paul Thompson, a free agent signing out of Oklahoma, showed a live arm and exhibited good movement in and out of the pocket. He was picked off on a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage. If you want to know more about Thompson -- who knew the Pack even had him? Interesting prospect. Practice squad candidate? Or bumps Ingle Martin out of the #3 spot?

Tramon Williams, second year CB, delivered a huge hit on WR Chris Francies to break up a completion.

In the field goal kicking competition at the end of the scrimmage, incumbent Dave Rayner missed a couple, as did rookie Mason Crosby. The kickers kicked from both ends of the stadium, various yardages and placements, and also switched holders. Call it a draw.

So, it seems as if everyone got out unscathed with no injuries. That's the best outcome of all.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE: PACKERSNEWS REVIEWS

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/PKR01/708050707/1989

Moving forward. Offense looks much stronger than it did a year ago at this time

If nothing else, the Green Bay Packers look like they possess a much better offense than they did a year ago at this time. Not that the Packers' starting offense faced a starting-caliber challenge Saturday night in a 1½-hour scrimmage in front of 59,362 spectators at Lambeau Field. Quarterback Brett Favre faced the No. 2 defense twice in his two regular possessions, and in Favre's lone 2-minute drill, the starting defensive unit played without cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson, who were given the night off for rest. But the offense functioned noticeably better in the zone-run scheme than last year a week into training camp, or even several weeks into the season, for that matter. And the 37-year-old Favre looked sharp except for one bad underthrow in the 2-minute drill that was intercepted in the end zone by safety Nick Collins. "I feel a lot better about our football team than I did last year at this time," coach Mike McCarthy said. Not that the run game was dominant in the two touchdown drives Favre led in his regular possessions — it gained 22 yards on six carries in those drives combined. But rookie halfback Brandon Jackson showed signs of being a capable player as a runner and receiver....

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/PKR01/708050702/1989

Insider: Jackson can catch, too

Thumbs up

When it comes to catching passes, the best compliment a running back can get is that he looks like a receiver. That's exactly what rookie Brandon Jackson resembled when he made a diving catch near the goal line during a team period with the No. 1 offense against the No. 2 defense during Saturday's Family Night scrimmage. On first-and-10 from the defense's 25-yard line, the rookie running back stretched out and hauled in a pass from Brett Favre just short of the goal line. He showed remarkable timing and strong hands on a 24-yard gain that set up his 1-yard touchdown run two plays later. Jackson ran the ball effectively with the No. 1 offense and took another step toward possibly beating out the injured Vernand Morency for the starting job. With Morency (knee) out perhaps another two weeks, Jackson continued to gain valuable experience.... Until Saturday, it had been difficult to tell how effective Jackson — or any of the running backs — had been in practice because there has been no live tackling during training camp practices.

On Saturday night, Jackson passed his first test against living tackling. During the same team period in which he made his diving catch, he ran the ball effectively between the tackles and on the Packers' bread-and-butter play, the outside stretch. He plowed through a small hole for a 5-yard gain, then rushed for another 5 yards on an outside run. After getting stuffed for no gain on first-and-goal at the 1-yard line, he broke through on second and goal. Jackson had the most carries (six) among the running backs and gained 20 yards, second to Noah Herron (five carries, 29 yards). Jackson also finished with two receptions for 48 yards.

Thumbs down

It wasn't the all-out disaster it was during Tuesday's City Stadium practice, but the 2-minute period once again ended badly for the offense. Farve and Aaron Rodgers threw drive-killing interceptions in the end zone. In the drill, the offense started at its 25-yard line and trailed 10-6. Against the No. 1 defense (minus starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson), Favre got the No. 1 offense inside the red zone with less than 30 seconds remaining. On third-and-1 at the 12-yard line, Favre forced a pass to Donald Driver in the back of the end zone. Cornerback Will Blackmon had Driver blanketed, allowing safety Nick Collins to come up with an easy interception. Rodgers met a similar fate on the 11th play of his 2-minute drive. On third-and-27 from the defense's 29-yard line, Rodgers tried a deep fade to Ruvell Martin that was easily intercepted by cornerback Traman Williams. Rodgers' series was marred by two penalties — a holding call on backup left tackle Orrin Thompson and an offensive pass interference against Ruvell Martin.

Did you notice?

In the most intense kicking period so far in training camp, rookie Mason Crosby held a slight edge over incumbent Dave Rayner. Crosby made 9-of-11 kicks, while Rayner went 8-for-11. Crosby missed from 38 and 49 yards but was most impressive on the longest try of the night, when he drilled a pair of 52-yarders. Rayner missed twice from 52 yards — one wide right and one short and right — and once form 36 yards.

Shortly after Shaun Bodiford had a 53-yard kickoff return wiped out by an illegal block penalty on Jason Hunter, rookie receiver David Clowney returned a kickoff 103 yards for a touchdown.

Rookie defensive tackle Justin Harrell made an immediate impact. On his snap of the night, the first-round draft pick recorded a tackle, stopping running back DeShawn Winn for a 2-yard gain. On the next play, Harrell shed a block by left guard Allen Barbre and batted down a pass by Rodgers. Harrell wasn't in on any more plays the rest of the scrimmage. Paul Thompson may be closing the gap on Ingle Martin for the No. 3 quarterback job. Thompson (4-of-8 passing for 45 yards) looked more composed and threw the ball more accurately than Martin (2-of-7 for 7 yards).

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/PKR01/708050705/1989

Notebook: Cornerback has big hit of the night

The first live tackling of training camp provided several big hits, particularly in the 2-minute periods. Linebacker Abdul Hodge smacked Noah Herron on a running play, cornerback Tramon Williams twice got a good lick on Robert Ferguson, and safety Atari Bigby tattooed Carlyle Holiday over the middle. Later, during a regular drive, cornerback Frank Walker undercut Shaun Bodiford on a leaping catch. But the hit of the night came from Williams, who in the next-to-last 2-minute period teed up Chris Francies on a crossing route. He timed the blow perfectly to jar loose the ball on a throw from Ingle Martin. "It was amazing," Williams said. "We had a lot of energy out there." The Packers had no live tackling in their first nine practices of training camp. Coach Mike McCarthy has indicated he has none planned, except perhaps during goal-line work.

A little less tight

Tight end Zac Alcorn (blisters) was in uniform after missing Friday's practice, giving the Packers three tight ends for the scrimmage. But Bubba Franks (eye) and Clark Harris (sprained ankle) sat out, keeping the team notably short-handed at the position. Alcorn, Donald Lee and Joe Werner were the only tight ends available. Werner, a converted basketball player signed Tuesday, played sparingly with the first and second teams. McCarthy said more extra-receiver sets than normal were used because of the shortage. "It was better than I thought it was going to be," McCarthy said. Lee had two catches for 9 yards in the scrimmage, while Alcorn — whose feet remain "a mess," according to McCarthy — had one catch for 3 yards.

More injuries

Four players sustained injuries, McCarthy said, though only P.J. Pope's seems it could be serious. Pope injured a knee early in the scrimmage and did not return. McCarthy had no further information on the injury, which comes one week after starting running back Vernand Morency sustained a knee injury that is expected to sideline him for a large chunk of the preseason. Fullback Brandon Miree sustained a stinger, and linebackers Hodge and Desmond Bishop each dislocated a finger. Six players sat out all of practice and the scrimmage, including Morency and linebacker Rory Johnson.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/PKR01/708050706/1989

Woodson, Harris given night off

Starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris watched Saturday's Family Night scrimmage from the sideline, and their backups used the opportunity to make an impact. All three 2-minute periods ended in interceptions, two of them by cornerbacks. "I can't say enough (about the performance)," said Jarrett Bush, who started alongside Patrick Dendy with the first-team defense, "but … we've got to stay hungry." It was the first time Woodson or Harris has sat out entirely during a mandatory practice. When Harris reported a sore back Friday, McCarthy said, coaches decided to sit both starters for the scrimmage. "We just felt it was very important to get this young group of corners as much work as possible," McCarthy said. Will Blackmon rotated in as the third cornerback when the starting defense utilized a nickel package.

The offense had the upper hand in the initial team periods, but the defense stood tall in 2-minute with three consecutive series-ending interceptions. Safety Nick Collins started the streak with a leaping pick at the goal line as Brett Favre tried to thread a pass to Donald Driver, who was covered well by Blackmon. Aaron Rodgers and the second-teamers got to the 12-yard line before back-to-back penalties shoved them back to the 29. Rodgers then tried to get a fade to Ruvell Martin in double coverage, and cornerback Tramon Williams leaped and made an uncontested pick. The last 2-minute period ended with Blackmon stepping in front of an ill-advised Paul Thompson throw to Robert Ferguson, who fell down on the play. "Once we got in the flow of the game," Collins said, "we just got a chance to show off what sort of defense we're going to have for the fans. Williams also had several big hits, Frank Walker led all players with seven tackles, and Bush made a nice play to bat down a pass intended for Ruvell Martin in the end zone.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE: PICS

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/gallery.aspx?catid=765

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbc...PKRTRAIN&Lopenr=708040808&Ref=PH&Profile=1989

http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=664867

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TED THOMPSON & MIKE MCCARTHY: WATCH FAMILY NIGHT

PACKER FAMILY NIGHT ON FOX 11

PACKER FAMILY NIGHT WAVE

TRUE BRET FAVRE FAN

BODIFORD: "CLOWNEY OR ME FOR 6TH RECEIVER?"

ROBERT FERGUSON: "I AM NOT NAIVE"

LINEBACKERS: "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS"

A.J. HAWK: "WHERE'S MY CAP?"

DRIVER'S LAMBEAU LEAP

CLOWNEY KR TD: "SEND IN THE CLOWNS"

JUSTIN HARRELL: "RUSTY" DANCE

JACKSON'S FIRST LAMBEAU LEAP

BF AND MM TALK IT OVER

BRETT: "MMMM, BJ CAN CATCH."

RODGERS: "CAN I PRACTICE WITH 1ST TEAM OL"

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PICS: BF, DENDY, OL, DL, LBS, RBS, CBS....

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/

SECONDARY

RUN PLAY

RUNNING BACKS

QUARTERBACKS & WIDE RECEIVERS

PACKERS TEAM

PACKERS TEAM

OFFENSIVE LINE DEFENSIVE LINE

OFFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

LINEBACKERS

PACKERS BAND DRUMELINE

DONALD DRIVE TD & DENDY

JACKSON TD

BRETT RUNNING OFFENSIVE

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAMILY NIGHT REVIEWS

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/8/6/12833/37849

Family Night Scrimmage

It was an exciting Saturday night at Lambeau for the Packers annual Family Night Scrimmage. Of course it was probably one of the few, if the only, NFL scrimmage that was a sellout, so that is exciting too. Although there were some big hits, since it was still not full speed it was hard to tell what were screw ups and what was a player holding up. A few players really stood out on Saturday. LB Abdul Hodge had the biggest hit of the night. Moving to his left, he ran right by C Scott Wells and nailed the running back for a short gain. Still, Hodge showed his usual tendency to get hurt and cut his night short with a dislocated finger. CBs Will Blackmon and Tramon Williams both looked good, although both did it against the 2nd and 3rd team offenses. The biggest star of the night was rookie RB Brandon Jackson, who had two big receptions and showed great hands. Still, Jackson was not given an opportunity to show that he had improved his pass blocking which had been an ongoing problem all last week in practice.

WRs David Clowney and Shaun Bodiford each looked really good returning the ball and Clowney had a long TD run, but that was due to good blocking and poor kick coverage. That would have to be considered a push for the special teams overall. Ks Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby each showed a strong leg and accuracy. They should keep up this battle all preseason. QB Brett Favre looked really sharp on his first drive and then threw an awful, blown route interception to FS Nick Collins on his last pass. WR James Jones looked good on one crossing route during the City Stadium practice and again on a two passes during the scrimmage. So far he has shown the ability to break away from the initial defender, which is a rare ability among the current group of receivers. WR Carlyle Holliday and Bodiford showed good hands, while WRs Ruvell Martin and Robert Ferguson didn't do anything to impress.

Overall all the backs and receivers did a good job hanging onto the ball. LT Orrin Thompson is a converted college defensive lineman and is being given a long look at left tackle, and he looks awful. DE Cullen Jenkins ran at the quarterback like he wasn't even there, completely leaving him back on his heels on an inside move. In the 2nd half, Thompson let DEs Larry Birdine and Mike Montgomery apply a lot of pressure to the backup QBs. Starting NT Ryan Pickett is really in Mike McCarthy's dog house after showing up to camp out of shape. He played little, if at all, with the 1st team defense and finished up the night on the 3rd team. All of the backup quarterbacks looked bad. Right now it is hard to tell that QB Aaron Rodgers is the former 1st round pick and QB Paul Thompson is the undrafted free agent.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know if they're gonna have any feed of Family Night somewhere online? They had the whole thing on YouTube last year.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAMILY NIGHT SCRIMMAGE: TOP HAT'S REVIEW

GOOD: QB Favre looked sharp guiding 2 TDs drives. The 1st team O-Line didn’t allow the defensive line near Favre. However, they must improve on bigger holes for the running game. WR Driver made two crucial receptions including one for a TD. WRs Greg Jennings, Jones & Holiday had good nights. Rookie running back Jackson shined making good runs & impressive catches. He scored a TD getting his first lambeau leap. On special teams, WR Bodiford had good returns. Rookie WR Clowney returned a kickoff for an exciting TD. The 1st team defense looked strong with strong pressure, outstanding plays by LBs especially Hawk, & excellent secondary coverage with outstanding performances by Safety Collins & CBs Blackmon, Bush, and Williams. In a brief role, rookie DT Harrell made a good impact. K Crosby won the kicking battle making 9-11 including two 52 yarders.

MIXED: The offense continued to look sloppy & struggle during the two minute & red zone drills with two drives ending in interceptions. On offense, WR Martin & the TEs were almost nonexistent. With a horrible 2nd team offensive line performance, the 1st team defensive line put strong pressure on QB Rodgers. QB Rodger, looking like a pressured QB, had a a good performance. QB Martin had a bad night throwing errant passes. CB Walker got mixed reviews with a couple of good plays & the highest number of tackles. Safety Manuel continued to struggle, especially in defensive coverage. Overall, the backup looked unimpressive requiring quality competitive improvement in position battles for roster positions by opening day

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SCOUT WEEK REVIEW

http://packers.scout.com/2/664623.html

Early training camp impressions: the highs and lows of the first week of practices for the Green Bay Packers.

One week has elapsed since the Packers opened training camp and many things have happened already — good and bad. Some of the good includes rookie wide receiver James Jones making a positive impression, while one of the negatives was two defensive tackles reporting to camp out of shape. With this in mind, here are some notable developments through the first week of camp. Vernand Morency injured: He started camp as the team's No. 1 halfback but a knee injury could sideline him for most of training camp. This opens the door for second-round pick Brandon Jackson to become the starter. Jackson better be everything the Packers say he is when they drafted him. If not, and if Morency is out a while, the running back position becomes a serious issue. Knowing this, general manager Ted Thompson said he's not shopping around for a veteran like former Packers Tony Fisher, just in case. “Obviously we're disappointed Vernand is not going to be able to play in maybe the first couple of preseason games,” said Thompson. “We'll see how he goes after that. We also have some young fellows here we need to see play, and need to see practice, so that affords them an opportunity.”

James Jones: The third-round pick from powerhouse San Jose State (just kidding) has opened eyes so far. What does this mean? Nothing. Even if Jones performs well in the team scrimmage tonight he needs to step up against an opponent's top defensive backs, not training camp bodies. Hopefully the first preseason game at Pittsburgh will afford him a chance. Nonetheless, it's good to see a draft pick making strides, no matter the situation.

Kicking game: Incumbent Dave Rayner and sixth-round pick Mason Crosby are locked in a battle to be the kicker. Both have done OK so far, but the preseason will determine who sticks. Not only is making field goals a priority (Rayner was 74 percent last season), so is kicking off consistently to at least the 5-yard line. If they both match each other in field goal opportunities, kickoffs will be the determining factor. Keep an eye on it.

Donald Driver: The Packers' No. 1 wide receiver failed his physical due to shoulder injury, but he returned after a few missed days. Knowing the Packers' are thin at wide receiver, they should take this approach to the preseason with him: Sit him the first and fourth preseason games and play him in the other two. He's a 32-year-old veteran, who has good chemistry with Brett Favre. Also, he's invaluable in the passing game. Without him, the Packers are up the creek, something they need to avoid.

Offensive line: Remember last year when camp started and there was daily talk about the offensive line? We hear little of that now, as the youth added to the interior part of the line improved steadily in 2006, making this a position of strength. Knowing the offense is limited at the skill positions, it's imperative the line performs well to give Favre and Co. every chance to succeed. The line finished off 2006 strong and must start this year the same.

Charles Woodson: The veteran cornerback played through a shoulder injury last season and even returned punts. This year, through one week, the crafty vet has yet to sit out practice for an injury. This is a surprise. He comes off as a player who doesn't need all these practices and you would expect him to suffer a phantom hamstring injury at some point.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=center]WEEK SCHEDULE[/align]

[align=center]Mon. Aug. 6 • 2:00 p.m.
Tues. Aug. 7 • 8:45 a.m.
• 6:30 p.m.
Wed. Aug. 8 • no practice
Thurs. Aug. 9 • 8:45 a.m.
• 6:30 p.m.
Fri. Aug. 10 • no public practice
Sat. Aug. 11 • preseason game at Pittsburgh Steelers[/align]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONDAY SESSION

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Monday wrap-up

The Packers' depth chart, released today for Saturday's preseason opener at Pittsburgh, featured a handful of minor changes, most of which already have been reflected in practice.

-- Zac Alcorn has replaced Clark Harris as the No. 3 tight end;
-- James Jones has replaced Robert Ferguson as one of the No. 2 receivers (Ruvell Martin remains the other);
-- DeShawn Wynn has replaced P.J. Pope as the No. 4 running back; and
-- Korey Hall has replaced Ryan Powdrell as the No. 2 fullback.

All the replaced players dropped one spot. Also, Greg Jennings (not Charles Woodson) now is listed as the punt returner, and David Clowney (not Vernand Morency) has joined Shaun Bodiford as one of the top two kick returners.

Elsewhere ...

-- Tight end Bubba Franks wore a protective eye shield on his helmet during practice, but coach Mike McCarthy said he doesn't expect Franks to wear one during games. Frank would need permission from the NFL to do that.

-- Dropping 'em like they're hot: Donald Lee, Bodiford.

-- Converted basketball player Joe Werner had a couple of positive moments. Most notable was a play in 7-on-7 in which he got behind Patrick Dendy down the seam for a big gain. However, safety Nick Collins stripped him near the goal line. Werner still is well beyond a long shot to make the team.

-- And your passing stats (7-on-7 in parentheses): Brett Favre 22-for-29 (6-for-10); Rodgers 6-for-7 (12-for-21); Ingle Martin 5-for-7, INT (1-for-2); and Paul Thompson 1-for-1 (1-for-1).

Pope has knee surgery

Packers running back P.J. Pope had arthroscopic knee surgery and likely will miss a couple of weeks, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice today. Pope hurt the knee in Saturday’s scrimmage. With Vernand Morency also out with a knee injury, the Packers likely will have only three running backs plus fullback Corey White to carry the ball in Saturday’s preseason opener at Pittsburgh.

Other injury news:

-- Left guard Darren Colledge has a mid-back sprain. McCarthy said he hopes Colledge will practice Tuesday.

-- Receiver Greg Jennings dropped out of practice today because of a hip flexor problem. McCarthy said Jennings’ hip has been sore the past week. Jennings also missed time during OTAs with a similar injury.

-- Tackle Tony Moll has a shoulder stinger.

-- Lastly McCarthy said he was not sure why defensive end DeVon Hicks did not practice today.

Offense shows up defense in pass-rushing drills

The offense was the clear winner during one-on-one pass-rushing drills. The defensive linemen clearly won only four of 20 snaps. Johnny Jolly won two of those reps -- one vs. rookie guard Allen Barbre and the other against center C.J. Blomvall. Mark Tauscher and Aaron Kampman normally go up against each other once per day -- this time Kampman was the winner. First-round draft pick Justin Harrell took three reps but didn’t win any of them -- two against Tony Palmer, one against Pat Murray. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila lost both of his reps against backup left tackle Orrin Thompson. Starting left tackle Chad Clifton didn’t participate in the drill.

In another kicking drill, Dave Rayner converted on six of seven field goals, while Mason Crosby made seven of seven. Rayner’s miss was wide left from 28 yards.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barnett, Barbre get into wrestling match; Dendy lines up at No. 3 cornerback

-- The heat must be getting to some of the players. With temperatures hovering around 90 degrees and high humidity levels, linebacker Nick Barnett and rookie offensive guard Allen Barbre got into a wrestling match following a play during a team drill. Barnett had to be pulled away by teammate Charles Woodson while Barbre was on the ground and seen kicking Barnett during the scrum.

Patrick Dendy is lining up as the No. 3 cornerback during team drills today. Dendy had a nice play, knocking a pass from the grasp of Donald Driver on a slant route with Brett Favre at quarterback.

-- The defensive backs held the upper hand over the receivers during a one-on-one passing drill. Just seven of 15 passes were completed during the drill. Safety Tyrone Culver turned in the highlight of the drill when he recovered to break up a hitch route to Carlyle Holliday. Shaun Bodiford had the most impressive catch among the receivers, with an outstretched grab along the sidelines against cornerback Jarrett Bush.

-- The kickers were called back into duty with Dave Rayner making two of two from long distance. Rayner converted on field goals of 50 and 53 yards. Mason Crosby was one of two, missing wide right from 50 yards, but following up by making a 53-yarder.

-- Cornerback Will Blackmon forced a fumble against tight end Zac Alcorn. Blackmon stripped the ball, which flew up into the air and into the hands of linebacker Spencer Havner.

Punters, kickers go at it this afternoon

Punting from their own 25 downwind, Jon Ryan averaged 52.3 yards and 4.51 seconds of hang time on nine punts. Ryan Dougherty averaged 43.8 yards and 4.37 seconds of hang time, also on nine punts.
Rookie Mason Crosby converted on two of two field goals from 48 and 51 yards. Dave Rayner was one of two, missing wide left from 48 and making good on the 51-yarder.

Franks back at practice after eye injury

Tight end Bubba Franks is practicing today at Clarke Hinkle Field, six days after sustaining a scratched cornea at City Stadium. Guard Daryn Colledge and defensive end DeVon Hicks are sitting out for the first time. Linebacker Rory Johnson (abdomen) and running back Vernand Morency (knee) continue to sit out. Tight end Clark Harris (sprained ankle) and running back P.J. Pope, who injured his knee in Saturday's scrimmage, are not in attendance. Also back are cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris, who both sat out Saturday night’s scrimmage.

Packers greats inspire new Hall of Famers

No former Packers went into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, over the weekend, but they were there in body and spirit. In his induction speech, former Bills running back Thurman Thomas took a moment to remember the late Elijah Pitts, his position coach in Buffalo. They were close, and Thomas said that if Pitts were still alive, he'd be an NFL head coach, with Thomas as his running backs coach. Pitts died in 1998. In his induction speech, former St. Louis Cardinals cornerback Roger Wehrli shared an anecdote involving another former Packers player. "I was married my senior year of college. Started getting letters from pro teams about the draft. My wife, Gail, who really wasn't much of a sports fan unless I was playing, she heard about the draft. She thought they were talking about the Army draft in Vietnam. She was not ready for that. In fact, once we straightened her out on the draft, she said, 'You mean like the NFL with Bart Starr?' That's the only player she knew in the NFL. "Well, babe, I'm up here with Bart Starr, so maybe we made it," Wehrli said to laughter from the crowd. Indeed, Starr was on hand for induction weekend, especially at the private Friday gathering that has come to be known as "the Ray Nitschke luncheon."

Here are some excerpts from a story on the luncheon by Jarrett Bell of USA Today: Aside from a few exceptions, including commissioner Roger Goodell, Hall of Fame executives, trustees and selection committee members, the luncheon is open only to Hall of Famers. Ground rule No. 1: The newest Hall of Famers cannot speak when the microphone is passed around. They are there to listen, to soak in a few stories, to be scolded, advised and initiated into the group. Fittingly, (Deacon) Jones gets the microphone first. He warns the new class to keep their induction speeches short and to be on their best behavior. This is a role Nitschke used to play, complete with passionate speeches about what it means to be a Hall of Famer. That's why they dedicated the luncheon in his honor after he passed away in 1998. Jones tells the new class about Nitschke. "A little weird," he says. "A little crazy. Elevator didn't go all the way to the top. But that's who you wanted with you in a fight." The microphone was passed around for about an hour. ... Then Starr told the group how (coach Vince) Lombardi's words still ring true today. "He used to say," Starr relayed, " 'Heart power is the strength of America. Hate power is the weakness of the world.' "

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DEPTH CHART CHANGES

http://www.packers.com

OFFENSE:

WR -Jones moves up to 2nd team; Ferguson drops to 3rd team
HB - Wynn moves up to 4th team; Pope drops to 5th team
FB - Hall moves up to 2nd team; Powdrell drops to 3rd team

DEFENSE:

No changes

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Holder - Rodgers moves up to 2nd team; Martin drops to 3rd team.
PR - Woodson is no longer listed; next four move up one spot.
PR - Williams, Russell, Francies, Brewster removed.
KR - Morency, Jones, Pope, Russell, Francies, Brewster removed.
KR - Bodiford, Blackmon, Jackson, Clowney, Herron, & Wynn remain.
KR - Clowney has moved up to 2nd team; rest stay the same.

Reaction score
Re: DEPTH CHART CHANGES

Some observations from tonight's practice:

- Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly continued to look impressive in the one-on-one pass-rushing drills. Although he's mopping up against inferior competition, Jolly cleanly beat guard Pat Murray on two consecutive reps and also beat guard Adam Stenavich.

- Defensive end Cullen Jenkins claimed a victory over rookie guard Allen Barbre, while Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila put a speed rush on guard Tyson Walter.

- Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby each missed two kicks during a field goal drill. Rayner converted on 4 of 6 attempts, missing wide left from 43 yards and wide right from 47 yards. His successful kicks came from 30, 30, 34 and 37 yards.

Crosby made 6 of 8 attempts. A 47-yarder was blocked, and he missed another 47-yarder wide right. Crosby's successful kicks came from 30, 30, 34, 37, 43 and 47 yards. After practice, coach Mike McCarthy said that the block was due to a defensive player being offside, so it won't count as a miss.

- Bubba Franks made a nice catch over the middle even after getting drilled by linebacker Nick Barnett.

- Both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers slipped on the turf while planting their feet in the pocket during team drills.

- Donald Driver dropped a slant pass over the middle from Favre.

- The receivers put on a show as Carlyle Holiday hauled in a pass in the end zone over Charles Woodson. Holiday had to reach to reel in the pass while also keeping his feet in bounds. Late in practice, Donald Driver made an even better catch. Driver was falling on his back, fully extended, when he caught a touchdown pass from Favre in the corner of the end zone over Woodson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening workout:

Safety Nick Collins intercepted a Brett Favre pass early in Tuesday night's practice during a team drill when Favre was rolling to his left.

Rookie receiver David Clowney dropped a deep slant pass from Aaron Rodgers.

Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly batted down a Rodgers pass at the line of scrimmage.

-- Mike Vandermause, [email protected]

posted by PackersNews.com at 7:30 PM | 0 Comments
Punter battle
Punter Jon Ryan averaged 59.3 yards and 4.67 seconds of hang time on 6 punts.

Free agent Ryan Dougherty averaged 51.3 yards and 4.67 seconds of hang time, also on 6 punts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several sit out evening practice:

Not practicing at this evening's muggy workout were Donald Lee, Tony Moll, Orrin Thompson, Greg Jennings, Chad Clifton, Vernand Morency and DeVon Hicks,

Returning to practice were Junius Coston, Brett Favre, who wasn't at today's morning workouts, and Rory Johnson, who hasn't been on the field in a week.

Morning notes

In attendance but sitting out this morning: linebacker Abdul Hodge; offensive linemen Tony Moll, Chad Clifton, Orrin Thompson and Junius Coston; receiver Greg Jennings; tight end Bubba Franks; defensive ends Aaron Kampman and DeVon Hicks; safety Marviel Underwood; receiver Robert Ferguson; and running back Vernand Morency.

Tight end Clark Harris (sprained ankle) and guard Daryn Colledge (mid-back sprain) returned to practice.

Running back P.J. Pope, who a knee scoped Monday, and quarterback Brett Favre were absent.

Quick hits from practice ...

-- A day after Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly took all the first reps at defensive tackle with the No. 1 defense, Colin Cole and Corey Williams opened the no-huddle team periods with the 1s.

-- Tight end Zac Alcorn caught five passes during one semi-scripted no-huddle drill with the starters. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers, practicing in Favre's place, was 10-for-11 on the drive.

-- The offense committed three penalties during the no-huddle drills, which for the second time in camp included crowd noise pumped through speakers. Rookie guard Allen Barbre and utility lineman Tyson Walter had false starts.

-- Rookie Paul Thompson, splitting time with Ingle Martin as the second-team quarterback, made up for a fumbled snap on his first play by delivering a beautiful touchdown throw to Chris Francies. Frank Walker had blanket coverage on Francies, but Thompson fit the pass through a tiny window. He also had a nice touch pass to Donald Lee on a first-and-goal inside the 5-yard line.

-- Martin had a nice TD pass of his own, a fade to Lee that just cleared linebacker Juwan Simpson's coverage.

-- Linebacker A.J. Hawk came out of nowhere to bat away a pass to Donald Driver near the left sideline.

-- And your passing stats: Rodgers 16-for-20; Martin 4-for-4; Thompson 3-for-3.

Low-key workout continues, kickers attempt field goals

The drizzle subsided about a half hour into practice and the Packers continued to work out on Clarke Hinkle Field in shorts and no pads. The Packers spent extensive time on walk-through drills and practice was very low-key.

Kicker Dave Rayner converted on a 40-yard field goal as crowd noise was piped onto the field. Rookie Mason Crosby missed his 40-yard kick wide left.

Source (Packersnews)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we've got another TC thread, AADP. dont confuse the people

people = me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts