OFFICIAL RODGERS IS MVP THREAD

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This crap on being a "System" quarterback is ridiculous! Was Joe Montana a "System" QB? Must have been because Steve Young followed him and put up HOF numbers. Is Tom Brady a "System" QB? Obviously because the year he went down, Matt Cassell led the team to an 11-5 record and played well enough to get a long term deal with KC. I've heard this junk so often over the years that it makes me furious. Every team has a SYSTEM! You still have to be a damn good QB to be able to put up great numbers and win. Brett Favre left the Packers' "System" and went on to play very well with the Jets and Vikings till he got hurt. I'm positive Aaron Rodgers would be able to do the same.

Why can't people just accept the fact that Matt Flynn is possibly a very good QB. I guess we'll see next year when he gets a chance to be the top gun with another team.

Oswaldmk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing here but, Aaron cares million times more another Ring that a MVP award, let Brees with his trophy, we would get another ring!!

Oswaldmk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This crap on being a "System" quarterback is ridiculous! Was Joe Montana a "System" QB? Must have been because Steve Young followed him and put up HOF numbers. Is Tom Brady a "System" QB? Obviously because the year he went down, Matt Cassell led the team to an 11-5 record and played well enough to get a long term deal with KC. I've heard this junk so often over the years that it makes me furious. Every team has a SYSTEM! You still have to be a damn good QB to be able to put up great numbers and win. Brett Favre left the Packers' "System" and went on to play very well with the Jets and Vikings till he got hurt. I'm positive Aaron Rodgers would be able to do the same.

Why can't people just accept the fact that Matt Flynn is possibly a very good QB. I guess we'll see next year when he gets a chance to be the top gun with another team.

If that crap of "System QB" was true, even me, could start Divisional Playoff game as QB jajaja

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Dilfer just tore this "system quarterback" talk to shreds on the radio; said it made him angry, and called people advancing it "simple minds".

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love to hear some quotes from that. He's been in Rodger's corner for a while.

Rodgers and Dilfer are almost best buddies.

Dilfer is best friends with Jeff Tedford, who used to coach him at Fresno State. And Tedford, of course, coached Rodgers at Cal and introduced him to Dilfer many years ago.

So anything Dilfer says about Rodgers comes with bias.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and Dilfer are almost best buddies.

Dilfer is best friends with Jeff Tedford, who used to coach him at Fresno State. And Tedford, of course, coached Rodgers at Cal and introduced him to Dilfer many years ago.

So anything Dilfer says about Rodgers comes with bias.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ya I know it's definitely biased. But he wasn't afraid to point out when Rodgers was under performing in early 2010, or when he was holding the ball too long in 2009. So it's not like he just blindly praises Rodgers. Still your point is a very valid one, and I did not know that about him and Tedford.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL and The Associated Press will announce the annual league awards, including Most Valuable Player, in a two-hour prime-time special "NFL Honors" to air on NBC on Super Bowl eve, Feb. 4.
All seven AP NFL awards will be presented from 8 to 10 p.m. CST live from the Murat Theater in Indianapolis during a show hosted by "30 Rock" star Alec Baldwin.
The show will feature a live performance by Lenny Kravitz and appearances by Hall of Famers Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe and Steve Young.
The awards program will be preceded by a red carpet show on NFL Network from 7 to 8 p.m. CST.
In addition to MVP, the league will announce the winner of the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award, which recognizes a player's community service as well as playing excellence.
The other AP awards are Coach of the Year, Comeback Player, Defensive Player and Defensive Rookie, and Offensive Player and Offensive Rookie.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dilfer just tore this "system quarterback" talk to shreds on the radio; said it made him angry, and called people advancing it "simple minds".
Because it really is. Take a look at this, at these throws, and say that it's the system and not the QB: http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d825aeb0f/Unsung-Heroes-Magic-Matt

Flynn has some flaws, and he didn't play a perfect game, but for this "system" to work, there's no gimmies. Rarely the Packers throw screens and never bubble screens, and almost all of the short passes depend on what the defense gives the QB and how the DB plays. The Finley TD the prime example, that's not a slant route. That's a backshoulder route, but because the DB turned away from Flynn, and because the LBs gave Finley the inside leverage, Flynn threw the ball inside, and not outside.

People saying it's the system, 100% certain they didn't watch the game, and they haven't watched Rodgers play this season. Easy as that.

If you watched Rodgers play this season, if you watched the game against the Lions, there's no way in hell you say it's the system.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true that Dilfer has a relationship with Rodgers, but to say that his opinions on him are biased is just wrong. He's a professional.

Let me put it this way: it's ESPN. ESPN "asks" it's employees that they "defend" a side, when there's interest. So, if it's Packers Vikings on MNF, you can bet that there's gonna be redundancy and infatuation with Rodgers.

But if there's one thing that Trent Dilfer is painfully honest about, is QB play. He is THE BEST analyst out there, when it comes to judging QB play. He was the first on board the Cam Newton's train (I was firmly off of it, and was way off base), he didn't contain his punches when talking about Gabbert and him being afraid of the rush.

And it's not like Dilfer only praises Rodgers. Didn't he critique him and the team as a whole last year, saying they couldn't win close games because they lacked heart?

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
It seems a lot of people are desperately clinging to the "system QB" theory, however it just isn't true. Fair question, does anyone present any evidence other than Flynn's success to support the theory?

A "system" QB means just that, the QB plays the system and isn't allowed much leeway. Martz' system is a classic example of that, he expects the QB to fit his plays, his plan, etc. Thankfully for the Bears someone in the FO (Lovie probably) convinced Martz to start running the ball. Even more fortunate, Cutler pretty much told Martz to..."get stuffed," and wound up doing things his way (which won games).

Rodgers called the plays in the Detroit game, was he following a choreographed "system?"

There is countless hours of evidence on film (technically it's digital now but "film" sounds better) that shows Rodgers changing the play at the line when he sees something in the D he doesn't like, that rejects the "system" theory. Rodgers is one amazingly talented QB, one of the top three in the league today. His accuracy, ability to make precision throws off his back foot, etc., are monumental proof that rejects the "system" idea also.

If having good receivers is all it takes, Drew Brees and Tom Brady's backups will have awesome games when they start also. Plus, if Rodgers' success was all based on a system, many other teams would be playing that system also.

We simply do not know if Flynn is a great QB or not, he needs to be on another team running a WCO to find out. Fact is however, Green Bay is a Quarterback-building powerhouse. Between Tom Clements the QB coach and Mike McCarthy, Flynn, a seventh round draft choice, wasn't born with that much talent, he was trained to be that good. Might not be enough to go to another team and start breaking records but we're going to find out next season I suspect.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein says same as I have

Passer rating is better indicator of a q.b

Bress had multi int games, Rodgers none

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cris said on his website (Football Pros) that he was conflicted and wanted to vote for both but ultimately went with Rodgers. Personally I don't get why this is even a debate. Even without using homer goggles, Rodgers is the obvious choice. Rodgers was superior all season long, and Brees wasn't even in the conversation until the Packers lost their only game of the year. Way too much has been made of the Marino record falling.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts