OFFICIAL Packers @ 49ers - Divisional Round

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's take a quick peek at the Niners losses, and see how and who beat them.
From most recent (Week 16 beatdown by Seattle), to longest ago.

Week 16, Lost 42-13 @ Seattle
The 49ers are clearly a physical smash mouth team. From the OL, RB, to all 3 levels on defense.
But Seattle gave them a strong, overdosage of their own medicine in this beautiful beatdown on NBC Sunday Night.
It was 28-6 at the half.
San Fran had just 1 sack of Seahawk QB Russell Wilson, a mere 1-yard loss as he almost made it to the LOS before Issac Sopoaga got him.

The key stat in the game was Seattle was 11-13 on 3rd down conversions. That's fantastic, and frustrating as hell for the defense.
Kaepernick was just 3-11 picking up 3rd downs.

Turnovers weren't the big factor really as it was 2-1 for the Hawks.
Russell Wilson had a 115.3 passer rating with a career high 4 TD passes, and Marshawn Lynch + Robert Turbin had 150 yards on 5 yards a carry. Frank Gore was held to 28 yards rushing, and Kaepernick had 31.
This was the game that Vernon Davis got plastered, cleanly with a flag thrown. And #2 or 3 WR Mario Manningham had his ACL taken out by a Dashon Goldson clone.

Week 15, Won @ New England 41-34
Patriots outgained them 520 to 388 total yards.
Patriots out-first downed them 32-19.
Total plays run were 92 to 65 for the Patriots.
But the turnovers were 4 by the Patriots to 2 by the Niners.
Kaepernick surprised Belichick with his arm, throwing for 4 TDs.
The Niners rushed for 180 yards.
They sacked Brady 3 times for -18 yards, and they pressured him into 2 Ints.
Still, once New England got down 31-3, they opened it up, spread out the defense, and went no huddle and aired it out.
Brady threw for 443 yards and brought them all the way back to 31-31, this without Gronkowski.
But they lost it at the end.
Still, it exposed the Niners a little bit as they could not stop San Fran in that 4th quarter once Brady got rolling.
But can our OL protect Rodgers in that type of deal?

Week 13, Lost 16-13 @ St. Louis
I really don't know how the Rams match up so well with them. The Rams also tied them earlier in the year in a game that either team could have won.
In this one, Legzilla Greg Zuerlein won it for the Rams with a 54-yard FG as overtime expired, after making a 53-yarder as time expired to force overtime.
Do you think Mason Crosby could do that? If so, I have some oceanfront property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you.
The 49ers really deserved this game as they had an overwhelming 8-19 to 3-16 edge on 3rd doen conversions and that is usually a very telling stat. The Rams, in 5 quarters in a windless dome, only had 293 total yards.
But the Rams held Franky Gore to 58 yards on 23 carries - DISCIPLINED TACKLING.
They did let the Greek QB Kaepernick get loose on a 50 yard run, which I fear we are capable of doing, even with Woodson in there. He can't be everywhere.
This game was in the Rams dome, and I'd sure like to play the 49ers in that dome with our passing offense.
Justin Smith was a beast with 8 tackles, 3 for losses, and 1 sack.

Week 6, Lost 26-3 at home vs NY Giants
The Giants outrushed the Niners 149-80, a dose of their own medicine. Eliw as efficient but not spectacular. Just had 193 yards, and 1 TD. But no ints.
That's unlike Alex Smith who threw not one or two, but THREE interceptions.
This crept into the back of the mind of Harbaugh and even after Smith had a great stretch, before his concussion, it was there... so when Kaepernick looked great in that one game, that was it for Alex.
Ahmad Bradshaw was a workhorse little guy with 116 big yards on 27 carries. Rookie David Wilson chipped in 35 yards on 7 carries.
If our OL can block like theirs did, whether it's for Harris, Starks, Green, or Grant, we have a chance too.
Here is the key though. Eli Manning was NOT SACKED AT ALL. In 28 pass attempts.
Can you imagine Rodgers throwing it 28 times with no sacks? Holy Cheese, he might complete 25 or more of them.
The Giants had 6 sacks. There was your ballgame, beatdown. I wish we had Pierre Paul for this one.

Week 3, Lost 24-13 at Minnesota
It wasn't Adrian Peterson by himself, as the strong Niner defense held him to 86 yards on 25 carries, 3.something per carry. Far better than we have ever done.
But here's the KEY again: The Niners got ZERO, NO, NONE sacks on Christian Ponder. As a result, Ponder threw ZERO interceptions, with 2 TDs.
The Vikings sacked Smith only 3 times, but that helped pressure him into an Int during the game, as well as a lost fumble by Smith and one by Frank Gore.
The stout Vikings defense limited the Niners to 280 total yards for the game, limited the Niners ground game to a long run of 11 yards on the day. IMAGINE THAT.
Third down conversions were 4-10 for San Fran, and 7-14 for Ponder and the Vikings.
The Vikings also were 1-1 on 4th down.
The zebras only called 1 penalty on the Vikings I see, LOL..... they never get called for holding on those edges somehow....

So learning from this, PASS PROTECTION IS THE KEY.
They sacked Rodgers 3 times back in week one. Who knows how many were the OL fault and how many were Rodges for taking so long.
But think about this: Rodgers completes 2/3 of his passes usually, so those 3 big losses (24 yards) not only lost 24 yards, but they prevented 2 possible big plays.
Our OL has to stand strong, and by inserting EDS at center, sticking with Barclay at RT, they seem to be betting that we can. I worry a ton here.

Also, the opposing defenses didn't let Vernon Davis get deep on them, nor let Frank Gore go wild.
With our recent focus on tackling Peterson, maybe they can carry that over on Gore.
But these guys have a lot more variety and dangerous targets than those Vikings did, plus a great OL who somehow are all still healthy. As are their LBrs and DL (Justin Smith hobbled, but he's still there).

For us to win, we need to see some numbers like this:

3rd down conversions:
San Fran 4/11
Packers 8/14

time of possession
San Fran 28:30
Packers 31:30

1st downs
San Fran 17
Packers 22

total yards
San Fran 325
Packers 390

sacks by
San Fran 1
Packers 3

ints by
San Fran 0
Packers 1

That's with 0-0 in turnovers. Each turnover will sway the game, so if they're even zero, with the numbers above, we win about 24-17.

Actually a pretty good analysis.

A few things...

Niners have issues with the Rams and Seahawks because 1) they know each other so damn well, and 2) They are similarly constructed. Punishing running game, very good D. Thats the mold of the new NFC West.

Pats game...Niners dominated that game in the beginning. It was 31-3. They then eased off the gas. HUGE mistake. As soon as they did that New England got on a roll, started running no huddle with just over 20 seconds between plays and completely GASSED the D. They couldn't breathe for most of the second half. The Pats ran 90 freakin plays in that game. The pass rush on Brady was non-existant because they couldn't catch their breath. It was really an impressive strategy by the Pats and my hats off to them for being able to run an O like that. They also were 5 of 6 on 4th down and 3 of 16 on 3rd down. Had they not been down by so many points, they wouldn't have been going for it so much on 4th down and wouldn't have put up so many yards or points.

The next week in Seattle, they were still gassed and it showed. The defense never got off the bus. The O wasn't much better. Add to that the biggest home field advantage in the NFL and the fact that the 'hawks are pretty damn good and you get that final score. They ALMOST sacked Wilson 7 or 8 times...but that dude is special when he's escaping the rush.

Add to this the infury to Justin Smith...who is probably the most important player on the entire team. Seriously.

Again tho...the teams that give the Niners fits are the ones that are built the same way they are. Balanced on offense, great D and in particular a good pass rush.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course I'm in your house. I'M not talking trash. Have I said a word about the Packers? Have I even predicted a winner?

I havent seen every post of yours..But you stated Pack fans were talking trash to me..Wasnt sure if you were complaining or what you were doing..

Just wanted to point it out...But CLEARLY now I see you understand

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havent seen every post of yours..But you stated Pack fans were talking trash to me..Wasnt sure if you were complaining or what you were doing..

Just wanted to point it out...But CLEARLY now I see you understand

No worries.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again tho...the teams that give the Niners fits are the ones that are built the same way they are. Balanced on offense, great D and in particular a good pass rush.
We had a good pass rush and potentially great D, if we had OLB Nick Perry and ILB Desmond Bishop back.

goldstandard333

49ers Fan
Reaction score

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. Well, this should be an interesting game. The sting of those games in the 90's still lingers for a lot of the 49ers fans I'm sure. Honestly most of the 49ers fanbase is more concerned about Seattle at this point. Maybe because they just played the Redskins and the 49ers hate the Seahawks as division rivals. Not sure what to expect in this game. Wouldn't be surprised if either team one and if either team just dominated. Well, I guess I'd be surprised if the 49ers dropped an egg at Candlestick. I'm not as nervous about this game as I was last year when the Saints came to town.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For us to win, we need to see some numbers like this:

3rd down conversions:
San Fran 4/11
Packers 8/14

time of possession
San Fran 28:30
Packers 31:30

1st downs
San Fran 17
Packers 22

total yards
San Fran 325
Packers 390

sacks by
San Fran 1
Packers 3

ints by
San Fran 0
Packers 1

That's with 0-0 in turnovers. Each turnover will sway the game, so if they're even zero, with the numbers above, we win about 24-17.

So... what you're saying is for us to win, we need to out-play them?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few responses to 9er fans, making no distinction between the good and not-so-good ones posting on here:

• Packers are not nearly as 1-dimensional as they were in week 1. Packers offense is FAR better now than then. In week 1 we had no running game and our offense was anemic in general.
  • The idea that SF is going to shut down any running attack we have and smother Rodgers with a 4-man rush, I'll take that bet. SF defense is undeniably great, but so is the Packer offense at this moment.
  • Kaepernick has won games for you guys and he's lost some. He has been brilliant and he has been mediocre. This is his first playoff game. I expect him to make some great plays on Saturday, and I also expect him to make a few mistakes. Will those mistakes be enough to cost SF the game? /shrug
  • Alex Smith made some perfect throws in the 1st meeting. Our defensive secondary was terribad to start the season and has improved steadily with the emergence of Casey Heyward as well as Sam Shields getting healthy again. Jeron McMillan at safety has also been a very pleasant surprise. Packers' secondary does continue to make some bad mistakes (see the blown coverage near the end of the Vikings game), but they are much better.
  • Facing AP 3 times in the last 6 weeks doesn't hurt when it comes to trying to contain a punishing runner like Frank Gore.
At this point I'm leaning ever so slightly to the Packers to win this game but would not be the least bit surprised if SF wins.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Actually, in every single game you mentioned those teams had balanced, physical offensive attacks.

The Vikings game, Ponder was able to repeatedly beat our secondary.
The Giants game, you are mistaken. Bradshaw put up 116.
The Seahawks game you are mistaken, yet again. Lynch had 111 yards (where are you getting your number?).
The Rams are a run first team that played a physical, short passing, balanced attack against us.

If you're not balanced, things will be difficult for you, unless your defense shows up.

All I can read here Ron is BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Lets see how the game goes.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We have to watch out for #38, a cheapshot artist back there.... he's good but cheap. Dashon. Goldson.

He leads with his head a lot, will go after receivers heads as he doesn't care about the personal foul calls.

Like Louis Delmas, I've seen this safety try to take out a lot of guys ACL's before.
I hate guys like that and wonder why what happened to clean Nick Collins can't happen to these cheapshot artists instead.

I just found a couple of them.....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Those ACL-shots I DO have a BIG PROBLEM with. I want Goldson to concuss himself, or break his neck. Not die, that would be cruel. Just a small vertebrae is fine. I kid. But really, why did Nick Collins career end to a neck, and he just had someone jump over him? And why did Sterling Sharpe's career end early due to a neck, but guys like this don't go down?

I really hate this guy... I have no problem with the big hits from Justin, Aldon Smith, Bowman and Willis. But this guy Goldson? I wish bad things on this guy, he ax for it. He a thug.

Donte Whitner also tries to knock heads off.

I must be a complete novice here Frank, that looked like a legitimate tackle to me. I don`t think he led with his head. Just my opinion of course

The low tackles are something else

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is that justin guy from the 49ers d-line playing?.... if not i think we should have a chance for some big plays from the offense

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that "Justin guy" will be suiting up. He's been practicing since last week. He won't be at 100%, but he's going to play.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts