NFL Weekly Predictions Contest: Week 14

OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask her about tourtière, and if her family served it at Christmas. It's an easy enough dish to make, and she might like the tradition. Some people don't, but our family does like it.

My family's roots go back into the 1600s, in Lachine, which is a suburb of Montreal. In fact, in 1689, a couple of my ancestors were killed when the Mohawk Indians attacked Lachine in 1689. My roots go back to a French soldier who was an Acadian. When he mustered out, he went to the Montreal area, where he married, and raised a family. I was even able to track him back, to France, and his parents, and beyond, believe it or not. In fact, I found lineage all the way into the mid 1500s.

Ancestry is interesting. On my wife's side, very interesting. A second cousin of Princess Diana on the Spencer side, and roots dating back to England and the early settlers of Virginia on the other. In fact, she has direct lineage to two soldiers, one an officer, who fought beside George Washington in the American Revolution, and a whole lot of relatives who fought on both sides, during the American Civil War.

On my second side, migration from Germany, back in the latter part of the 1880s, and settling in Northern Wisconsin, where my Grandfather was nicknamed "The Johnny Appleseed of The Midwest," by a writer for Ford Times, when an article was published about him and his work in stocking lakes with fish, long before anyone else was doing it. When he was still in Germany, he was a soldier, and a body guard for Kaiser Wilhelm, but was sent to the US by the Kaiser, because his life was threatened when he knocked one of the Kaiser's political enemies on his rear when he tried to touch the Kaiser. The man essentially put a contract out on his life, and the Kaiser liked him, so he gave him some money, and sent him away for his own protection.

Genealogy is fun, but it takes up a lot of time. It can also be very expensive. I'd suggest also doing DNA to go with it, because when you combine the two, you can get the facts correct, because DNA don't lie.
Lachine is in between Montreal's main airport and the downtown. A Voyaguer, back in the day, would have had to be wary of the Lachine Rapids which might swamp his canoe.
Acadia (Acadie) consisted of what is now New Brunswick (where I am), Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and part of Maine. In 1763 after the 7 Year French English War it was ceded from the French to Britain. Meat pies are still a tradition among French families here. New Brunswick is about one third French speaking.
My family is of German, Dutch, English origins, as far as I know. Among them was an ex-American who blew up a munitions magazine in Poughkeepsie, NY before heading northeast.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lachine is in between Montreal's main airport and the downtown. A Voyaguer, back in the day, would have had to be wary of the Lachine Rapids which might swamp his canoe.
Acadia (Acadie) consisted of what is now New Brunswick (where I am), Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and part of Maine. In 1763 after the 7 Year French English War it was ceded from the French to Britain. Meat pies are still a tradition among French families here. New Brunswick is about one third French speaking.
My family is of German, Dutch, English origins, as far as I know. Among them was an ex-American who blew up a munitions magazine in Poughkeepsie, NY before heading northeast.
Interesting. Any idea why he blew it up? Accidental, or intentional? When? It sounds like you have a little rebellion in you. ;)

OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do the Steelers lose this after the Pats got shutout at home 4 days ago? It gets me more perturbed as to how we could have lost to this Steeler team.
Mil, As you know that's just the way the NFL is. Careful, it can perturb you to near the point of madness, or drive you further mad.:confused:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Any idea why he blew it up? Accidental, or intentional? When? It sounds like you have a little rebellion in you. ;)
One of those Loyalists he was, or just looking for trouble. I believe that it was during the Revolutionary Wartime. The Americans were the rebels back then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Being of French Canadian descent, that warms my heart. I still follow some of the old family traditions, like tourtière for Christmas. :)

My family migrated to the US from Hawesbury, Ontario, in the late 1800s. My Brother and I are the first generation that isn't bilingual, French and English. I remember my Great-Grandmother (Mémère was what I called her in French), sitting in her rocker in front of a large bay window in her home in Menominee, Michigan. She'd try to mix in some English with her French when she'd speak to me. She was so kind, and had a big smile. She lived to nearly 100, and my Grandmother (her daughter) lived to 106. I'd sit on the floor, next to her, and she'd rest her hand on my head, sometimes stroking my hair.

@Voyageur
Je Parle un peu Francais mai Pas beaucoup.
Ou est La salle de bain? That’s pretty much what I asked when I wanted to go sailing with some French people. Boy did I get some dirty looks. Although I was sort of aggressive and kept repeating it because they looked dumbfounded and kept pointing a different direction like they wanted to get rid of me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Voyageur
Je Parle un peu Francais mai Pas beaucoup.
Ou est La salle de bain? That’s pretty much what I asked when I wanted to go sailing with some French people. Boy did I get some dirty looks. Although I was sort of aggressive and kept repeating it because they looked dumbfounded and I guess I was frustrated they wouldn’t let me go with them.

:eek::laugh:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you were saying you didn't know any French and needed a bathroom. LOL

If you kept repeating it, they probably thought you had diarrhea! They didn't want you taking a dump on deck, or all over them. They must have thought you had a serious problem..... ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you were saying you didn't know any French and needed a bathroom. LOL

If you kept repeating it, they probably thought you had diarrhea! They didn't want you taking a dump on deck, or all over them. They must have thought you had a serious problem..... ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
Ohhhh! Geeesh do I feel embarrassed. I knew I shouldn’t have stopped French after 2 Semesters.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vous avez échoué en français écrit.

Je parle un peu français, mai pas beaucoup. Ou est la salle de bain?

Confession: I needed to look up the verb échoué: to fail.;)
I think you're saying he failed his French test? LOL

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohhhh! Geeesh do I feel embarrassed. I knew I shouldn’t have stopped French after 2 Semesters.
The first time we went to Spain, we were sitting around drinking wine with friends, and us men were smoking Cuban cigars. When the niece of one of our Spanish friends came in and was introduced, I commented that the girl was quite lovely, a real fox.

Everyone stopped talking and looked at me, their mouths dropping open. Then they explained to me that they refer to prostitutes as foxes........ I was embarrassed, and explained it meant a pretty girl in American slang. I chose my words very carefully after that.

Reaction score
Tampa Bay 20 @ Atlanta 23
Detroit 30 @ Chicago 20
Indianapolis 23 @ Cincinnati 28
Jacksonville 13 @ Cleveland 20
Carolina 12 @ New Orleans 20
Houston 20 @ NY Jets 16
LA Rams 23 @ Baltimore 34
Minnesota 21 @ Las Vegas 23
Seattle 23 @ San Francisco 31
Buffalo 27 @ Kansas City 26
Denver 20 @ LA Chargers 24
Philadelphia 24 @ Dallas 27

Monday
Tennessee 19 @ Miami 33
Green Bay 26 @ NY Giants 17

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mil, As you know that's just the way the NFL is. Careful, it can perturb you to near the point of madness, or drive you further mad.:confused:
Right! And that madness can cloud my crystal ball and my weekly expertise will evaporate and I could lose my lead.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa Bay 20 @ Atlanta 23
Detroit 30 @ Chicago 20
Indianapolis 23 @ Cincinnati 28
Jacksonville 13 @ Cleveland 20
Carolina 12 @ New Orleans 20
Houston 20 @ NY Jets 16
LA Rams 23 @ Baltimore 34
Minnesota 21 @ Las Vegas 23
Seattle 23 @ San Francisco 31
Buffalo 27 @ Kansas City 26
Denver 20 @ LA Chargers 24
Philadelphia 24 @ Dallas 27

Monday
Tennessee 19 @ Miami 33
Green Bay 26 @ NY Giants 17
Must have picked the Pats.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations Milani, you seem to be the French master. I had to Google that one for translation.
Bien que non, je n'ai pas dit ça, mais tu l'as fait.
Translation: I did not say that, but you did.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I took 3 years of it and got A's. Forgot most of it. Truth is that my old man was a French professor. When I did not take it the 4th year he was puzzled. I said I wanted to engage in a more challenging subject called Les Belles Femmes.
Congratulations Milani, you seem to be the French master. I had to Google that one for translation.
Bien que non, je n'ai pas dit ça, mais tu l'as fait.
Translation: I did not say that, but you did.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I insisted that all three of our children take Spanish as a second language while in high school. One even went beyond that, and added four more years in college. Since he decided that he'd rather live in NYC, then down in Austin, TX, instead of Wisconsin, that second language came in very handy. In fact, down here in Texas, it's helped his business enormously.

As far as the other two, the oldest still uses a little of it, and the youngest has forgotten it all. She hasn't lived anywhere where it's used as a second language.