NFC Championship Trophy Presentation Controversy?

Reaction score
First off.. Congrats to the Packers to making it to the Superbowl! I would like to ask why was the Halas Trophy presented to us in the Locker room? I heard that the announcers thought it was too cold to do it outside, and another excuse was that it wasn't at home. In 2007, when the Packers lost to the Giants, with the wind chill, I believe it was below 0. Just a bit colder than Sunday's game. Also the Giants were presented the trophy on a stage in the middle of Lambeau Field. Just some thoughts!

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
I believe someone else mentioned on here that it was decided before the game that whoever won it wouldn't be done on the field.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The park district need to clear the field in order to prepare it for a high school chicago public league soccer match.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Bradshaw if you've noticed, he has a real hard time talking or hearing in the cold and in the post game Bradshaw just sits there. I think that was one reason as well. Yeah, I wanted it on the field.

Regardless, we took the Halas trophy in their house! That's bigger than where the presentation happened.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish it had been done out on the field too.. So every Bears fan in that stadium could see who the better team is!! This was THE ULTIMATE game to beat The Bears.

:chisux:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wondered about that too. I would of loved to of seen them hoist that trophy right in the middle of the field after beating the Bears at home. That would of been like having our cake and eating it too. But as somebody pointed out in another thread, the Bears fans might of rushed the field. Maybe it was for the best. We also got more locker room celebration and interviews out of it too. They may not of done all those interviews had they still been on the field. Too cold.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Im pissed that I dont have any pictures of them on the field hoisting the trophy to send to my friends who are bears fans

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I'm looking for an official explanation and I just can't find one. There are rumors, of course - and here's an interesting one in the comments at MJS:

The "official" reason for the presentation in the Packer's locker room was that "they" were worried about security problems. There is some talk among the local media (I am a Chicago area Packer fan) was that the McCaskey family refused to allow the ceremony on the field.

Occam's Razor - they just didn't trust Bears fans not to act like knuckledraggers and (depending on your personal taste) it would have made for sucky TV if they'd ruined it.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Yeah Im pissed that I dont have any pictures of them on the field hoisting the trophy to send to my friends who are bears fans

I was going to get a pic like that printed and hang in my living room so EVERY time a Bears fan thinks they are better, I can point at that picture and ask what was that? Oh yeah the Packers stole your trophy in your house, and you guys sucked so bad your QB didn't even want to play. Figure that should shut them up.

Wow, Bears fans should have to take consquenses for not allowing that. I say take away 2 home games this season.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I would *LOVE* to know why the trophy wasn't presented on the field. Temperature can't be an excuse, since Pittsburgh was colder and the Steelers were presented on the field.

And a youth league soccer game? Sorry kiddies, but an NFL trophy presentation trumps everything else, and teh extra 20 or 30 minutes wouldn't have caused an issue.

If the McCaskey family were being poor sports, they should be called out on it.

We really need an answer to this.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now you got me going. I wonder if the Bears had won would it of been presented on the field in front of the home fans? I can't imagine them robbing their fans of seeing their team presented with the trophy if they won. I think maybe the decision was hanging on who won the game. Meaning if it was the Packers, it would be the locker room. Bears, on the field. Also keep in mind the Steelers got theirs on the field and they were playing at home.

To be honest, it matters not so much where they gave them the trophy, all that matters is that damn thing belongs to the Packers!!!

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree that I don't think the Bears organization trusted that their own fans (whatever ones were even left) would be able to act in a civilized manner. There are a few people at my office who went to the game and said some of the things they saw and experienced from Bears fans outside the walls of Folgers Field were just despicable.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I would like a good explanation. Maybe one of the Packer reporters on here can do some digging.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
First off.. Congrats to the Packers to making it to the Superbowl! I would like to ask why was the Halas Trophy presented to us in the Locker room? I heard that the announcers thought it was too cold to do it outside, and another excuse was that it wasn't at home. In 2007, when the Packers lost to the Giants, with the wind chill, I believe it was below 0. Just a bit colder than Sunday's game. Also the Giants were presented the trophy on a stage in the middle of Lambeau Field. Just some thoughts!

Because the Chicago fans may have rioted, overturned taxis, and burned buses if they did?

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they really give the Giants the trophy in the locker room? I would have sworn they got it on the field at Lambeau, but others I talked to who were actually at that game said it was not presented on the field.

I did hear them talking about the situation on ESPN Milwaukee yesterday and if the Bears had won it they indeed would have gotten the trophy on the field.