4. Chandler Jones, Syracuse
5. Vinny Curry, Marshall

Outside Linebacker

1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
2. Shea McClellin, Boise State
3. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
4. Andre Branch, Clemson
5. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma

Which of these guys are realistic targets for the Packers? The 2nd ranked OLB McClellin, whats this guy like?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see us pick up 2 linebackers a defensive end (or tackle) and a safety in the first 4 rounds. The reason I would like 2 linebackers is so we can rotate someone in for aj hawk on downs that are obvious passing downs.

OP
OP
Caio

Caio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ha, yeah fair enough, even though this doesnt really reflect anything on their football Knowledge its a pretty poor score!!!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say at a 4 you can't read or very little.

A friend of mine always said Dexter Manley who played for the Redskins was a genius. He graduated from college without being able to read or write.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 4 basically means he shouldn't have gotten out of the 8th grade. It clearly affects his ability to learn complicated defenses and to study film.

I also have concerns about what money does to someone that dumb.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The wonderlic is overrated. It's not really an accurate measure of intelligence relevant to football. Wonderlic scores don't really translate to being able to learn an offense or defense.

Randy Moss scored, I believe an 8 or 9 and he was able to pick up the Patriots complicated playbook and break WR records

Finley scored a 9 on the wonderlic too and last I checked our offense isn't exactly simplistic.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is Mayock's top 5 DE and OLB

Defensive End

1. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
3. Nick Perry, USC
5. Vinny Curry, Marshall

Outside Linebacker

4. Andre Branch, Clemson

Which of these guys are realistic targets for the Packers? The 2nd ranked OLB McClellin, whats this guy like?

I can't see Chandler Jones or Vinny Curry as better DEs than Kendall Reyes. Reyes isn't even on this list? Not.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
back to the thread, whats this guy like from Boise?
Shea McClellin was thought to be one of those hard working over achievers. At the combine he showed he was actually athletic and could play as an OLB. I thought he would be a great 2nd round pick for us, but seeing this, I am thinking if TT wants him, he would have to use the 1st on him. He would be a great addition to the team - he does everything good, although not great at anything, except his attitude. I would be pleased if he ends up a Packer.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Beat me to it 13 Times. Here's a summary of that blog: Pete Dougherty has a blog up in which he says he talked to a scout who concentrates on DL and OLB about possible OLB/DEs available when the Packers pick. He says Melvin Ingram, Quinton Coples, Michael Brockers, Fletcher Cox, and Dontari Poe "for sure will be gone" before the Packers pick. And Whitney Mercilus probably will be gone too.

He says there's a big group of 3-4 OLB and DEs that will start getting picked in the bottom third of the first round through the middle of the second round and he names the following players in this group.

OLBs: Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry, Adre Branch, Vinny Curry, Shea McClellin, Chandler Jones, Bruce Irvin and maybe Ronnell Lewis (the object of Arrigo's man crush).

DEs: Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes and maybe Brandon Thompson.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is Mayock's top 5 DE and OLB

Defensive End

1. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
3. Nick Perry, USC
5. Vinny Curry, Marshall

Outside Linebacker

4. Andre Branch, Clemson

Shocked that Mayock has McClellin ahead of Mercilus!
And Branch..... but Mayock is less racist than most scouts and actually goes by playmaking and speed, size, skills.
I was hoping we'd get Shea in round 3, or 2, but now I wouldn't mind Teddy taking him at #28, almost the same spot he took Clay.

There will be someone good at this position when we pick, and I am excited about that.

7 of those 10 guys up there will end up just okay or bad, or busts.
1 or 2 could become a force. Let's hope Teddy finds the right one again because imagine if we had another Matthews type.
IMAGINE!

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Chandler Jones or Vinny Curry as better DEs than Kendall Reyes. Reyes isn't even on this list? Not.

It seems like Mayock is choosing to only rank players at one position for these Top 5 lists. Otherwise Melvin Ingram would likely be high up on both OLB and DE. He has Reyes listed as the number 5 DT, tied with Still.

Here's his top 5-ish DTs:
  1. Fletcher Cox
  2. Jerel Worthy
  3. Michael Brockers
  4. Dontari Poe
5T. Kendall Reyes
5T. Devon Still

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
They say at a 4 you can't read or very little.

A friend of mine always said Dexter Manley who played for the Redskins was a genius. He graduated from college without being able to read or write.

Then they'll just read to him lol. What I took notice of is that this is the second corner from LSU to score low.

I dont think this will affect anything, tape tape tape. Combine was good too. At the end of the daythe kid is still an amazing player and to borrow the metaphor "You don't have to know how to spell toilet in order to know how to use it"

Members online

Latest posts