Mason Crosby K Colorado

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is a keeper, if he doesn't beat out Rayner this off-season it would be worth keeping two kickers on the roster because when Crosby adjusts to the NFL ball he's going to become one of the best kickers in the league.

Strengths:
Has an outstanding leg...Can hit from well beyond 50 yards and has a career long of 60...Accurate and rarely misses the ones he's supposed to make...Phenomenal on kickoffs and creates a lot of touchbacks...Clutch and doesn't let pressure affect him...Has a lot of experience...Intangibles are excellent...Can also punt in a pinch.

Weaknesses:
Kicked in high altitude with thin air but also hit a lot of long kicks at sea level as well...Will have some kicks blocked here and there...Has room to smooth out and refine his technique...Is so good coaches tend to let him try unrealistic attempts.

Notes:
Father, Jim, was a fullback at Texas-El Paso in the mid-1970s...Was the runner-up for the Lou Groza Award in 2005 as a junior...Superstitious and has to hit at least 60 golf balls at a driving range two days before a game...Best kicking prospect to come along since Mike Nugent and might be the highest chosen since Sebastian Janikowski back in 2000...A rare prospect who is a true weapon on special teams.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I was driving home from softball practice (if you call it practice) and my buddy and I almost flipped when we heard the pick over the radio. I like Rayner, but I love this pick....

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it was a huge steal because he was rated so highly...although I always liked medlock a little better I'm happy to have Crosby.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there will be any high expectations from fans, like there would be if he was a higher round pick, and that's a good thing. It's also good that the Packers already have an okay kicker in Rayner. Crosby can just concentrate on trying to beat out Rayner. May the best man win.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but IMO Rayner is an above average kicker whom in the 4th quarter, as a fan get nervous for the pressure kicks. I see Crosby as more of a headliner (as much as a kicker can be) where you might see him in several pro bowls since the long FG is the only way a kicker can get noticed in the NFL. This is no knock on Rayner, who is a decent kicker, just Crosby is someone who can be special at the position. (granted I can't believe I'm getting excited over a kicker!)

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's going to be the steal of the draft when he pounds in a last-ditch-effort FG from 60 yards in a snow blizzard at Lambeau Field against the Lions in the last game of the regular season and secures our playoff birth!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strong Leg
-------------
Crosby
Rayner

Accurate Leg
----------------
Crosby

Crosby and Rayner both have strong legs but Crosby has a little better accuracy.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Crosby beats out Rayner for the starting job do you think we consider trading Rayner to someone who is in trouble at the kicking position (maybe Dallas, are they still having problems?) for a draft pick.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do feel bad for Rayner...he stepped up admirably considering how much concern and criticism there was at the position last August.

What a steal though!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
If Crosby beats out Rayner for the starting job do you think we consider trading Rayner to someone who is in trouble at the kicking position (maybe Dallas, are they still having problems?) for a draft pick.
Dallas took Medlock in the 4th

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
The kid looks pretty good. Great leg.

Maybe he'll be another Longwell :razz:
oh you're a bastard, arent ya!

Ha! Ya Trom, that term has been applied to me from time to time.

Seriously, I think that he is a very good pick for the Packers. Definetly could be a threat.
Just think how the outcome of many games is determined is determined by the Kicker.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually predicted this pick along with a small school OT and i was right :D

* cough cough dont mentoin my "Lock" that TT wouldnt draft a safety

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SI. com has Crosby rated as one of the top 10 steals of the draft.

Defense will win us games this year, I'm expecting alot of 3-0, 6-3 wins with Crosby banging em in from 60 plus yards.

Who needs an offense when you have a great defense and a kicker like Crosby.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you cant lose, if they dont score.

and if all you gotta do is get to the 50 yard line to get 3 points. we may seriously be bringing back the old school style.

do one thing and do it great. be great on defense, be great with the ZBS, be great on special teams. and the transition from the favre years will be much less brutal.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a great pick...just remember that he kicked at Colorado. Most of his kicks came at high elevations and that adds distance in that thin air. Let's see what he can do at about sea level.

Even here in Missoula (elev. 3500') the kickers are getting about 8-12 yards further distance on kick-offs.

I do think he's a steal though.