Kinda Sucks sitting around watching all these teams buy players!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say Peyton should retire. He's already won a Super Bowl and has hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank. Don't mess around with neck/spine injuries. He has a wife and children... He should thinking about being able to walk around and spend time with the family.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I still say Peyton should retire. He's already won a Super Bowl and has hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank. Don't mess around with neck/spine injuries. He has a wife and children... He should thinking about being able to walk around and spend time with the family.

I think that is exactly what Irsay wanted and what I heard was happening. I am sure Peyton is throwing just fine but every time he gets hit hard when I am watching his new team I might think it's over if he is slow to get up.

Life after football is something Dungy was big on. Dungy also said Peyton might not choose a team for the sole purpose to chase a ring, he has to be comfortable.

So based on comfort I don't know. The pressure would be biggest in SF and least in TN. He is a country guy too.

Broncos? Being a football freak like he is I bet he and Elway might have really bonded.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think Peyton should retire he makes the 49'ers better. Anyone who argues differently is just dead wrong. If he is half of what he was he's better than Smith.

Every football player faces the risk of serious injury the moment he steps on the field. We have a similiar situation in Collins. No doubt he makes the Packers better. What judgement will be rendered in his case if he plays?

I'm in no position to decide for them and I have to leave both decisions to people who know more than we do. But I know if they can play they up the ante.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
While I think Peyton should retire he makes the 49'ers better. Anyone who argues differently is just dead wrong. If he is half of what he was he's better than Smith.

Every football player faces the risk of serious injury the moment he steps on the field. We have a similiar situation in Collins. No doubt he makes the Packers better. What judgement will be rendered in his case if he plays?

I'm in no position to decide for them and I have to leave both decisions to people who know more than we do. But I know if they can play they up the ante.

Depends on the Niners pass protection, which can be sketchy.

Always liked Denver's o line. Maybe he should go there then.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
In the end, who knows. Just read this on the Titans forum and have no idea who it is lol.

RT @ClayTravisBGID: Titans still lead for Manning but per source 49ers have replaced Broncos as top competition.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on the Niners pass protection, which can be sketchy.
First not every hit equates to an injury. 49ers did allow 44 sacks in 2011 but started two rookies. Packers btw allowed 41. The 9ers didn't have the luxury of solid quarterback play, so that kinda skews things.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think signing FAs is somewhat situational. It's based on need (sometime dire need), availability of funds in relation to the cap if applicable, availability of a viable player and the effect signing the player will have in terms of the big picture. I know we all want a lot of things for this team and we all have our own idea of what the magic formula is, but I ask you is there a FA out there right now or previously that any of you would consider it worth TT's while to pursue. I mean, not only one who would fit into the budget but one who would mesh with our program and the guys we already have. Running a football team is no different than running a business. There are a lot of teams who get way too caught up in signing FAs and there are teams who abuse the purpose of it such as the Eagles did last year. It's want vs. need in the eyes of the fans. I think our wants will be fulfilled elsewhere.

Our needs are situational!! They are at the DE/DT position, OLB and in the defensive backfield. Yes there are players out there. They have been signed all during this week!! Some will be good signings, some not so good. It's just like the draft, you have to do your homework. Elsewhere seems to be the draft with Thompson. As an article in JS Online said there is a certain urgency to this 15-2 team. I'm not confident all our defensive needs can be fixed just through the April draft.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Worried about Peyton too. As he can throw but what about being hit and something bad happens? Everybody worries about that. Teams are in need of different type of positions. Hopefully the Packers will get the positions filled with a little bit of experience and youth in-between.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
49ers, who would have been to the Super Bowl if that punt returner didn't fumble TWO punts in the 2nd half, have added WR help with Randy Moss and now Mario Manningham, who hurt us and was the hero catcher in the Super Bowl.
Oh, they might get that Manning QB guy too.

Mario Manningham agrees to two-year deal with 49ers, per league source.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You know what it is guys. Peyton and Smith heard about Flynn to the Seahawks and they can't handle it. They know it's over in the NFC West before it starts.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whenever you get a deep longing for the Packers to heavily pursue free agents, go look at the Mario Williams contract recently signed and then remember one name from the Packers past: Joe Johnson. That big name free agent signing did so much for the Packers, no? Woodson and Pickett were great signs by TT, but think Chillar to counterbalance it. Free agency is no more of a sure thing than the draft. That is why I LOL when I think about all the "experts" drooling over Andrew Luck and RGIII. Remember when Peyton Manning was drafted? The "experts" were torn between him and Ryan Leaf. One is a Hall of Famer, one is a total bust.
That is why I thought the Colts would do a practical thing: sign Matt Flynn as the starter, and trade the rights to Luck to some other team willing to give up a couple of firsts, a couple of seconds, etc. you would have a QB who has proven he can get it done, AND you would restock a team that needs young players. But they all think Luck is a sure bet. So what happens if he turns out to be Ryan Leaf? Just as high school football is tougher than Pop Warner, and college is tougher and high school, professional football is on a level few college athletes can imagine.
The Colts are about to throw the dice on what could be the costliest gamble of their franchise. They could win, or they could lose big, for a long time.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, I think you're really over stating the Colts' situation. How is it a gamble? They earned that number one pick. They didn't pay a king's ransom like the Redskins. Redskins are gambling. Colts aren't. They're just taking the number one player in the draft with their number one pick. Explain to me how that is a gamble; let alone the costliest gamble in franchise history.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I know it's not TT's philosophy to spend money on Free Agents, but this week sucks seeing all the headlines being made by other teams, especially the Bears. I know nothing is won in March, but it sure would be fun to talk about the Packers making a big splash and signing a stud. Guess we'll just wait until next month and hope TT does he magic in the later rounds of the Draft. :tup:

The Packers already have a stable full of studs. They don't need to be in a hurry to find one. However, saying the Packers haven't signed a free agent yet, doesn't mean they won't.

I know I write it too much, but TT is unpredictable.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
20 odd years ago....after the Bears had won their first and ONLY Super Bowl......instead of trying to retain their best talent who desired better paychecks..... the Bears, whose front office was then ruled by Mike McCaskey the son of Virginia McCaskey (George Halas' daughter).....decided he had to save even more of his hundreds of millions of dollars. Wilbur Marshall to the Skins, Richard Dent to the 49ers, Willie Gault to the Raiders I believe.....one by one....a bunch of excellent players were allowed to leave, with little or no serious effort to retain them.

The Coach, Mike Ditka, heroically, stuck to the front office's side....proclaiming....'Hell, when we lose a player...we'll just plug someone else into that spot...and keep going...'

After just "Plugging someone else into" enough spots for a few years .....the Bears were in a downward spiral...Ditka got himself famously, humiliatingly fired at a large press conference....and after a few more ever-downward years...even Mike McCaskey, who as the son of the owner, wasn't going to fire himself...stepped aside to let someone else run the team.

Before we get to canonizing TT just yet, ....one has to remember the hits...but also the misses. TT has swung on so many draft picks, trading down to get more lower picks...he's bound to have a few hits, yet also a few misses. Hawk was a number 5 pick in the draft, but he's hardly an impact player or game changer. Jennings was a number 2, but so was Brian Brohm, who couldn't even play in the NFL. In 2007 The Pack was aiming for Marshawn Lynch out of Cal....the Bills knew this and traded up to #16 to get him. The TT chose Justin Harrell, who also couldn't even play in the NFL. Brandon Jackson, another scrub, out of Nebraska was taken in order to be the feature back at a number 2 pick as well. He's also gone. Matt Flynn, taken at #7, the same year TT rated Brohm as a number 2...actually developed into a serviceable back-up. And now even he's gone..... for nothing.

And then there's TT penchant for sticking with players he "loves" (take that any way you want)....the most famous being Darryn Colledge...an OG, who to me, at least LOOKS like the prototypical NFL OG, yet is so slow to see changes and react to them on the field ...it's almost goofy. He's kind of fast...and that saves him sometimes...but he's not anyone you can depend on on every play not to blow it. TT stuck with that guy for what 4 years? And yep...he's also a number 2. He's with the Cardinals now, where he still is regarded as a journeyman....as well as a number 2 draft pick.

There are good guys still out there. I say, make a move...or someone else will...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This was posted as part of an article on today's PFT;

Winner: Packers.
G.M. Ted Thompson rarely makes a big splash in free agency. The biggest exception came in 2006, when at the very public urging of quarterback Brett Favre the team signed cornerback Charles Woodson.
Other than that, the Packers under Thompson take a very conservative approach, building through the draft and using free agency on a limited basis, with low-cost talent addressing specific needs.
It’s not **** this time of year. But this isn’t the time of year when championships are won. Unlike downtrodden organizations (such as the Packers themselves in 1993, when Reggie White chose Green Bay from a long list of suitors), the Packers don’t need to do anything to fire up the fan base or breathe life into the franchise.
It’s the right approach for this specific team. The Packers have won, once again, by doing nothing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure if posted yet

Free agency: The idiotic part.
This is possibly the most over-covered week of anything we do in writing about the league, this first week of free agency. I knew it had gotten totally out of control on Saturday when Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted: "Amazingly, I'm sensing angst among some Giants fans again about Jerry Reese's lack of offseason action.''

Reese is the general manager of the New York Giants. He has had the job five years. He is notoriously slow off the draw in free agency, and he is not alone. In recent years, noted GMs and personnel czars like Ted Thompson (Green Bay), Mickey Loomis (New Orleans), Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh) and Bill Polian (Indianapolis) have let the free agency field settle down before going after players of moderate cost.

In the last six seasons, those franchise architects -- Reese, Thompson, Loomis, Colbert, Polian -- have won every Super Bowl. Not saying the patient way is the only way to team-build, but come on. Reese did nothing big in 2007 and 2011 and won the Super Bowl both times.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can say the Packers have won or lost at this point. That will play out during the 2012 season. Last year letting a free agent walk didn't work so well.

I agree that the best way to build a team is through the draft. I also agree that the kind of money thrown around the first few days of free agency is ridiculous. Teams like the Redskins do the entire league a disfavor with the money they spend on free agents. They set the bar high for acquiring talent via free agency and drive up player salaries in the process.

But, I still think that free agency is a tool that can and should be used. Unlike some I think there is a certain urgency to this team despite the fact it was 15-2. The defense needs attention now. Can we wait two, three, or more years down the road and address these needs entirely through the draft? I say the door of opportunity slams shut just as it opens. I would hate to see such a good offensive team stymied in its tracks.

I noted Bill Polian was mentioned as one who favors the draft approach and is an example of how that pays off. Yet Peyton Manning was able to win only one Super Bowl. During those years the Colts rarely if ever had a formidable defense. I don't want to see the Packers in the same position and end their run at one.

One more thing. The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls and have used free agency extensively.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Congrats to the Broncos and good luck Peyton.

I am happy with this. Not a rival of the Packers in the NFC. Not in the Colts divsion.

Peyton vs. Brady will never die!!!! ;)

Members online

Latest posts