Kind hearts brightened dark Sunday at Lambeau by T Walter

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Walter column: Kind hearts brightened dark Sunday at Lambeau

Perhaps you're still recovering from the Packers blues. It's been a week since the game, and you've probably dissected it and come to grips with the simple facts: the ball was intercepted, the kick was good, the Super Bowl mania dissolved, it's still cold out … blah, blah, blah.

So, let's go looking for some heartwarming stories.

Good Feeling No. 1

On Sunday morning, Jan. 20, a man walked into the New Community Shelter on Green Bay's west side and dropped off a ticket to the Green Bay Packers-New York Giants game later that day. According to shelter director Terri Refsguard, the man said he wanted to remain anonymous but thought someone at the shelter might enjoy going to the game.

The staff decided to have a drawing, with four stipulations.

The winner had to have appropriate clothing for the cold weather. The winner could not resell the ticket. The winner had to bring the ticket stub back as proof. And the winner could not consume alcohol.

Twenty-three individuals put their names in the hat, and Anthony Polzin's name was chosen.

A jacket that had been donated by the Packers Pro Shop was located in an upstairs storage room. A staff member drove him to Lambeau Field, where he spent some time walking around the parking lot talking to tailgaters.

Polzin, a native of Wausau, had never seen a game there.

"Even just for one evening I was able to forget many of my daily troubles and leave the shelter behind for awhile," said Anthony, who has lived here for a couple months.

Good Feeling No. 2

Kelly Leary is a 24-year-old Neenah native whose father-in-law, Dan, is fighting esophageal cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy weekly. Trying to find a way to bring more cheer into his life, Kelly wrote a letter to Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

She was admittedly naïve, but she wrote:

"I realize that it is entirely possible that this letter will never really reach you, but my hope is that it will.

"There is one thing I have noticed that brings him great joy, and that is watching you play football. I know that this is a ridiculous request, but I was wondering if you would devote a few minutes of your time to give him the thrill of his life. A letter from you would bring him the joy and hope that we so desperately want for him right now. I realize that I probably don't know what I am asking, but then again I've always been the 'dreams really do come true' type."

A few days later, on Jan. 7, Dan Leary received a letter on stationery that read "From the Desk of Brett Favre." It read:

"Your daughter-in-law Kelly told me that you are battling cancer and I wanted to take this time to personally wish you the best. The road to recovery will probably be a difficult one but hang in there and keep fighting. Hopefully, you will enjoy more good days than bad ones. I wish you and your family the best and I hope you are feeling better soon so you can get back on your feet in Neenah."

There were some more words about the great fan support, then this conclusion.

"The Packer tradition was built with great players and great fans, and it is because of fans like you that the tradition continues. Wishing you the best."

It was signed, "Brett."

Now that's a lot better than dwelling on an interception, isn't it?

Tony Walter is a columnist for the Press-Gazette. He can be reached at 920-431-8360.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Kind hearts brightened dark Sunday at Lambeau by T Walte

Wow thank you Phil! Great article. This makes me proud to be a Packers fan. :D Brett, you DA MAN!!!! 8) :D

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Kind hearts brightened dark Sunday at Lambeau by T Walte

Just another reason for the Favre detractors to go "Darn you BRETT! How can we HATE you when you keep doing nice things like THAT! PLEASE do something REALLY bad, just so we can go "SEE!?!?"

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
never doubted it one second.
its like i said before the game: its history people, enjoy it!
and now thanks to PWT, we got another view point of it! w00t!