Jared Cook

H

HardRightEdge

For me Justin Harrell was an injury bust. I will always wonder how he would have turned out if he was able to play. But if memory serves, didn't he have injury issues in college?
Yes, it was a torn biceps. But he also was overweight when he showed up to camp. He ended up playing 7 games in 2007. Then it was a PUP in 2008 with a back injury and 6 games played once activated. Then it was a back reinjury and out of all 2009. Then an ACL in 2010 was the end of his career.

Sherrod might be in the same category, but at least his very nasty Theismann/Bridgewater-like leg injury happened in the NFL. Sherrod started out looking pretty bad his rookie year with some glimmers of improvement as the year went along. Then that injury did him in. He tried to come back but wasn't the same athlete.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and players never try to paint themselves in the best light...

I find it highly unlikely they sat at a negotiating table and just stared at each other for days on end. It was reported Cook wanted more than the Packers were offering. It was reported the Packers were offering more than the 1 year contract he signed with the Raiders. So while technically there was a never a contract signed by GB awaiting Jared's signature, I'm pretty confident the reason he wasn't in GB any more was because he was waiting for more money and ended up with less somewhere else.

That's not painting yourself in a better light. That would be just straight up lying.

I mean, if you don't take him at his word, that's fine. Everyone has to form their own opinion. I'd personally trust the word of the guy involved as long as he hasn't given reasons not to believe him rather than rumors and reports. Did anyone from the Packers actually ever say, "We offered Jared 'X' contract?"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not painting yourself in a better light. That would be just straight up lying.

I mean, if you don't take him at his word, that's fine. Everyone has to form their own opinion. I'd personally trust the word of the guy involved as long as he hasn't given reasons not to believe him rather than rumors and reports. Did anyone from the Packers actually ever say, "We offered Jared 'X' contract?"
I don't remember, it was 3-4 years ago now? i don't know if a contract was offered or not. My recollection leans towards a scenario where Cook and his Agent said we're not signing for less than X dollars and GB wasn't going to pay it.

It was reported GB was offering more than what he ended up getting with the Raiders is all I remember and I very well could be wrong. He's not lying by saying he didn't turn down a contract, but it's not the same as acting like you weren't offered anything to play and you're completely innocent in the situation of why you're not going to be in a Packer uniform the next season.

it's like negotiating anything. There usually isn't a formal offer on the table to start. It starts with talking, which is what they were doing and people expected him to be re-signed. I think they tried to hold out for more, then that other guy became available and they called his bluff. I do give credence to reports he signed with the Raiders for less than what GB was talking about.