Jamarcus Russel to the Vikings...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does have a strong arm like Brett and the affinity to throw away a crucial game. Perfect fit for the Queens.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate to see it happen personally. All signs and coaches have pointed to him being a smart kid with no prior "lazy" qualities to him.

Lets face it, name one player who in the last 5-7 years of playing over in that mess in OAK who has succeeded, let alone excelled at their jobs. Some may bring up Asumagua(sp), but then I question how good he COULD be playing for a team that has all their heads on straight.

He may wind up a bust, but I bet hes signing somewhere no later than Sunday. He wont command big $$$, so in an uncapped year, he is less of a risk than Pacman Jones would be.

Just remember (and even though its just an example, not what I expect) Randy Moss looked D.O.N.E. when in OAK. His career was over after that, right? Oh wait, he broke tons of records and continues to perform at at top 10 level well into his 30s.

And then theres the case to be made about this one guy named Charles Woodson. SOme of you may have heard of him. He was "done" as well in OAK. Isnt he one of the top Defenders in the league right now? Oh wait, he was the leagues Defensive MVP last year, also well into his 30s.

Sometimes its not the player, its the environment. OAK is def NOT a good one that is condusive to success or anything positive for players or coaches.

The guy is 24, hes still very young. I think he has a future in the league, though he has some MAJOR work ahead of him. The one place I DO NOT want to see him land is in MN. He would already be smarter and more talented then all 3 of their backups currently on the roster. (check out the wonderlic scores) and the kid did light up in college.

I would much rather see him end up in BUF or TX, but thats just me.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate to see it happen personally. All signs and coaches have pointed to him being a smart kid with no prior "lazy" qualities to him.

Lets face it, name one player who in the last 5-7 years of playing over in that mess in OAK who has succeeded, let alone excelled at their jobs. Some may bring up Asumagua(sp), but then I question how good he COULD be playing for a team that has all their heads on straight.

He may wind up a bust, but I bet hes signing somewhere no later than Sunday. He wont command big $$$, so in an uncapped year, he is less of a risk than Pacman Jones would be.

Just remember (and even though its just an example, not what I expect) Randy Moss looked D.O.N.E. when in OAK. His career was over after that, right? Oh wait, he broke tons of records and continues to perform at at top 10 level well into his 30s.

And then theres the case to be made about this one guy named Charles Woodson. SOme of you may have heard of him. He was "done" as well in OAK. Isnt he one of the top Defenders in the league right now? Oh wait, he was the leagues Defensive MVP last year, also well into his 30s.

Sometimes its not the player, its the environment. OAK is def NOT a good one that is condusive to success or anything positive for players or coaches.

The guy is 24, hes still very young. I think he has a future in the league, though he has some MAJOR work ahead of him. The one place I DO NOT want to see him land is in MN. He would already be smarter and more talented then all 3 of their backups currently on the roster. (check out the wonderlic scores) and the kid did light up in college.

Uhm, Russell once reported over 280 pounds... If that's not lazy, I have no idea what is...

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhm, Russell once reported over 280 pounds... If that's not lazy, I have no idea what is...

True, but the point I am discussing surrounds his accountability. While it would be great to say that each of us would be responsible and focus on long term goals when we are handed 40 million at 21, thats often not the case.

It is compounded when talking about an athlete, who has everyone who surrounds him telling him he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This kid had a chance (although slim) to succeed on his own or with the help that the Raiders gave him, but to expect it would be like saying you expect any 21 year old to excel at anything other than gluttony and partying at their age, when nobody is watching or keeping them grounded. Now add in $40M. The money only makes it worse. Many 21 year olds are staved ONLY from lack of the finances to allow themselves to poison their lives, and they mature slowly through that process through trial and error. This is the new "growing up".

Lazy is only to the extent that they will say it is. There are people in place that are there to make sure he is "handled" and didnt do that job, or someone did not hold him accountable (until today). At the very least, the feeling of needing to be accountable and be held to the standard we do was not conveyed as well at it should have been from the beginning.

This above is very much consistent with the punchline that has rounded through the Raiders organization for many years from top to bottom. Include the coaching changes each year, the player changes, playbooks, schemes, etc. How is this different from any average joe who gets burned out at work when 3 different bosses tell them 3 different things for a few months, or the companies focus keeps changing and diverting in different direction? Now make that daily for 3 years. Its no wonder that this KID did not succeed.

Remember, we hold these guys to a standard due to their status and the amount of $$$ they are paid. Without direction, without guidance, they are just kids getting paid a ton of $$ to play a game. If they are poorly coached, poorly directed and poorly supported, they just become kids with a bunch of $$$ and no direction.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Raiders have been a circus, and even Charles Woodson left there as a failure at the time, same with Randy Moss. Hell, many Packer fans didn't want Moss in 2007 because they thought Moss was washed up. That was just Oakland!

However, Jamarcus Russell is a piece of crap. He was the most overrated QB I have ever seen, and I've been around a long time. He's your CLASSIC case of being too infatuated by big size and a big arm.

He's always been inaccurate, slow, and slow-to-react. He's not an NFL QB period. He should be tried as a blocking TE, but he's too soft.

At least Ryan Leaf had a temper. Jamarcus just sleepwalks to the bank over and over, and to the all-you-can eat buffets.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perriloux AND Russell on the same team? That sounds like Childress having a stroke the first week of training camp.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whatever you're smoking that you think Jamarcus is talented at all (besides being able to chuck the football far), please give me some of it, because its gotta be good... Jamarcus isnt smart at all, and extremely lazy, he's a poor mans version of Daunte Culpepper, and Moss is the only thing that made Culpepper worth while at all!

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I'd be willing to place a 50$ bet with anyone that Jamarcus russel ends up in New Orleans by the end of the year. Reasoning: Brees is old, Peyton is a QB coach, Jamarcus form Louisiana.

he's a poor mans version of Daunte Culpepper, and Moss is the only thing that made Culpepper worth while at all!

I'd say he's the bankrupt mans version of daunte lol, Atleast daunte got it done for a few seasons. And he did try hard to resurrect his career a couple times.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can actually see the Vikings taking a chance on Russell only because they are so desperate for a QB. Even if Favre comes back, which I think he will, I can only see him playing one more year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I can actually see the Vikings taking a chance on Russell only because they are so desperate for a QB. Even if Favre comes back, which I think he will, I can only see him playing one more year.
They are not that desperate. BTW, T. Jackson has better numbers then Russell. And a better work ethic. And he knows the system already.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are not that desperate. BTW, T. Jackson has better numbers then Russell. And a better work ethic. And he knows the system already.

I'm not sold on Jackson. I'm not just saying that as a Packer fan either. I agree however that Jackson is way better than Russell, it's no comparison. However Russell shouldn't be used as a measuring stick, that's a low bar.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jackson is a terrible quarterback, but i'd take him way before i'd take Russell... Russell is not smart at all, Jackson has a little football sense at times it seems..

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody will pick up his contract after he clears waivers.

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
neither if Jamarcus Russel had Randy Moss in his prime he woulda been the same thing Jamarcus was, so its a toss up to me, probally have to go with Jamarcus because he's a little bigger and could maybe be used somewhere other than QB, maybe a long snapper? haha

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather have Daunte Culpepper or Jamarcus Russell?
That's not really a question, is it?

I'd rather have neither, I don't have to choose. Most teams, in fact, all teams have better options than those 2.

Would you rather have Jarrett Bush or Ahmad Carroll?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not really a question, is it?

I'd rather have neither, I don't have to choose. Most teams, in fact, all teams have better options than those 2.

Would you rather have Jarrett Bush or Ahmad Carroll?

It is a question, since at some point teams are going to need another QB and at this point they are the two best FA QBs. You take it as a joke but I am sure some franchise will be discussing this before the season is over.

And to answer your question, Bush, only because he was an undrafted FA

Members online

Latest posts