Is Mike McCarthy overrated?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
How many NFC Championship game appearances? Brett (HOF QB) tosses pick against Giants.
Defense and special teams collapses against Seattle.
Beat by a healthier and BETTER team last year.

Unless McCarthy is a faith healer, or can telepathically prevent veterans from completely going brain dead in less than 5 minutes ... I'd say many Packers fans have unrealistic expectations as to what a coach can do.

Thank you, Aaron Rodgers.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated or not, I do know this; That if the Packers fired him today, it wouldn't take long for his phone to start ringing......
I'm sure it would take longer than you think. Unless there is another HOF qb involved in the phone call, I don't see him getting a phone call for the HC position. Take away #4 and #12, he is an average coach, at best. I chuckle at the foxsports HC rankings. Yes, MM is a highly overrated HC.

Reaction score
is MM the real deal or the fatty byproduct of 2 HOF qbs? Let’s hear your thoughts.
Yes, coach Mike has put a on a few pounds since coming to GB.
I would welcome another coach that can coach us to another a SB.
Hey, maybe the new GM will do the honors, pay Mike his one year salary contract, and send him packing.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is a good coach honestly.. but he is way way way way to conservative.. the nfl is about young and fast play the game like madden go for 2 everytime and only punt if ur in ur own 35 yard line lol reward pays off way more! Haha
He has been breaking out of that conservative shell of his. I have seen the shift. Going for it on 4th downs. Airing it out more. Even a couple fake punts onside kicks thrown in there.
He even started going for it on 2 point conversions when the extra point was moved back... he failed a few times, and went back to kicking extra point like the rest of the league. But don't forget that he played the numbers and gave our offense the ball to try...

Weird thing is... OK, you look at Seattle's Carrol for example. Aggressive, sneaky plays come natural, because he is naturally aggressive (imo). With McCarthy they are well thought out, and even timed correctly. But something's off. It doesn't seem natural. He loses more than he should when he takes risks it seems. Apprehension? Not enough time spent on sneakiness at practice? Lol. I'd love to see McCarthy spin a bad loss press conference saying, "we just had too many fundamentals out there today. Need less planning, and more playing!".

Lol!

But seriously. Playing the numbers. The fact we have a great offense. A great qb and experienced guys around him... we should have paid better dividends on the aggressiveness McCarthy has had .

The way McCarthy played Hundley was weak. But to be fair. Hundley threw three ints right away when McCarthy let him throw it. (Right after Rodgers went out). Then it was three pathetic games of Hundley running back 15 yards and throwing it 5 or 10 for a 5 yd loss... it was some of the worst football I ever seen. Then to see him play great against Steelers, only to come out and start throwing ugly ints again.... it was hard to watch. McCarthy let him loose, reeled him in. Got a good indicator he was ready to be let loose again, and then he bit the dust again... hardly all McCarthy fault.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers NOW .. not Aaron Rodgers when he first came into the league, right? Anything less than that and we're looking at a case of bias confirmation.

Lots of open space in between. Maybe 'after he became the starter'?

Reaction score
In answer to the opening question.. we're all a byproduct of our environment to a degree so I'd say both. I still like to think we get wiser as we get older and that mitigates making some crucial mistakes that even the most talented HC will make time to time and that benefits a seasoned HC. He's above average but more importantly is he seems to have a good relationship with Aaron and #12 IS our franchise, so that accounts for something also. He also tends to command the respect from the players and he doesn't let drama encircle him and he has been overall pretty good in the discipline department which is necessary today (see Lacy)
I guess you could say we could do a little better.. but we could also do far worse for a HC

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is a good coach honestly.. but he is way way way way to conservative.. the nfl is about young and fast play the game like madden go for 2 everytime and only punt if ur in ur own 35 yard line lol reward pays off way more! Haha

I agree. He is a good coach. He is conservative. However, he lacks the feel for the game. There's something to be said about momentum and there have been times where MM made decisions that were wrong for that moment in time. Bottom line...I do think he is overrated.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. He is a good coach. He is conservative. However, he lacks the feel for the game. There's something to be said about momentum and there have been times where MM made decisions that were wrong for that moment in time. Bottom line...I do think he is overrated.
Maybe a little bit but do we really know if it’s all on him he has been stating that he wants better player acquisition yeah Rodgers masked his ability but our defense can’t put a peewee team on there back... starter goes then it’s undrafted rookies stepping in so when they don’t win games when Rodgers is out they have no one to help a little while there offense was still fine hundley was just bad... but that defense is actually putrid I hope we can get a better training staff too cuz I feel like it’s samw story every year... so idk he is conservative and maybe a little overrated but he is our guy I don’t want a change he is voicing his opinion now cuz he doesn’t know what’s gonna happen

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a little bit but do we really know if it’s all on him he has been stating that he wants better player acquisition yeah Rodgers masked his ability but our defense can’t put a peewee team on there back... starter goes then it’s undrafted rookies stepping in so when they don’t win games when Rodgers is out they have no one to help a little while there offense was still fine hundley was just bad... but that defense is actually putrid I hope we can get a better training staff too cuz I feel like it’s samw story every year... so idk he is conservative and maybe a little overrated but he is our guy I don’t want a change he is voicing his opinion now cuz he doesn’t know what’s gonna happen

MM is our guy....for now. The acquisition of talent around him, especially on the defensive end...ok I get it. However, he's the head coach. This guy could've dropped Capers at any point in time the last three seasons and he chose not too. There must be accountability with MM, and I don't think he has accepted responsibility for this season, which was really a lost season, outside of drafting promising young RBs. His defense of Hundley grew comical, especially after that Baltimore game. His insistence on sticking to the same game-plan week after week, that didn't play to his QB's strengths is hardly ever brought up. MM kind of regressed this season as a coach (my opinion). However, he is a strong leader of the locker room.

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lots of open space in between. Maybe 'after he became the starter'?

I'm thinking along the lines of McCarthy's vaunted QB school his first 5 or so years which stressed mechanics and QB fundamentals. Much was made of Aaron's mechanics and footwork being the reason he dropped so far, so fast.

You don't hear much of the QB school if it still exists. Hundley has serious mechanical issues in my book. Basic eye movements and whatnot.

Anyway, Mc has been here so long that maybe we forget what he brought and brings to the table.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking along the lines of McCarthy's vaunted QB school his first 5 or so years which stressed mechanics and QB fundamentals. Much was made of Aaron's mechanics and footwork being the reason he dropped so far, so fast.

You don't hear much of the QB school if it still exists. Hundley has serious mechanical issues in my book. Basic eye movements and whatnot.

Anyway, Mc has been here so long that maybe we forget what he brought and brings to the table.
I've heard the CBA in 2011 pretty much eliminated the QB school with it's restriction on off season practice times.