Is Mike McCarthy overrated?

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put all the rush lane integrity and pad level jokes aside, is MM the real deal or the fatty byproduct of 2 HOF qbs? Let’s hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is a good coach honestly.. but he is way way way way to conservative.. the nfl is about young and fast play the game like madden go for 2 everytime and only punt if ur in ur own 35 yard line lol reward pays off way more! Haha

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he is according to the latest coach rankings: https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin...ay-packers-mike-mccarthy-coach-ranking-010218

Surprisingly he is 8th best at making adjustments, but not all that great at anything else.

Play calling — 6.3 (T16)
Personnel — 6.9 (T12)
Game plan — 6.3 (T24)
In-game adjustments — 7.1 (T8)
Clock management — 6.5 (T20)

Hmm... funny how the rankings on that site have an uncanny correlation to most final NFL power rankings. Their "methodology" looks pretty wonky too. Looks to be completely subjective. Interesting to look at, but not sure it's worth much.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. 1 Super Bowl appearance with 2 HoF QB's? He should have AT LEAST 3 based upon his rosters. Belichick has accomplished more with less, but Belichick actually knows how to scheme based upon player talent levels and is far from conservative. If not for Rodgers or Favre, McCarthy would be in the same realm as Ray Rhodes in Packers lore.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to know if he is overrated since we don't know where he is rated. He is underrated by people like me - there are things he does I can't stand but I probably make a bigger deal about them than I should. He is probably overrated by some outside people. Where is he rated? 10-15? Seems fine

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to know if he is overrated since we don't know where he is rated. He is underrated by people like me - there are things he does I can't stand but I probably make a bigger deal about them than I should. He is probably overrated by some outside people. Where is he rated? 10-15? Seems fine
10-15 seems fine to you? That's a damn shame. Anything less than #1 is unacceptable to me in any competitive market...professional sports, realty companies, restaurants, retail, etc. If you are the head coach (leader) of a team, you are responsible to do whatever it takes to ensure you and your team is the BEST at all times. Not up for the challenge or capable of ensuring it happens? ****.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated or not, I do know this; That if the Packers fired him today, it wouldn't take long for his phone to start ringing......

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10-15 seems fine to you? That's a damn shame. Anything less than #1 is unacceptable to me in any competitive market...professional sports, realty companies, restaurants, retail, etc. If you are the head coach (leader) of a team, you are responsible to do whatever it takes to ensure you and your team is the BEST at all times. Not up for the challenge or capable of ensuring it happens? ****.

I said 10-15 seems like a fine ranking for him. Not that I am happy with him. I think better is out there. I think the idea that we have to have the best coach is crazy. Sometimes there are guys who are just better and they are happy where they are at. I think we are unlikely to get a better coach than the guys currently in NE and Pittsburgh so I would be alright with number 3

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated.

He's average at play design, play calling, time management. I doubt we're seeing the best use of our TEs & RBs, esp their pass catching abilities. With talents like TyM and Aaron Jones, we should not just be running them straight.

But then he has a connection with AR12 which kinda elevates both of them and that's the x factor that makes him a good coach.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think it’s harder for a coach to hide behind a HOF QB than it is for a QB to hide behind a HOF coach

Nils Zippo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated is putting it lightly. The problem remains, McCarthy should never been given the position of head coach! As a lifelong Packer fan and shareholder, all of this housecleaning was an aggregious step backwards. Why? Because Dom Capers is one of the greatest Defensive Coordinators of all time - Hall of Fame - THAT'S JUST A FACT! - he's a genius. Simply put, he has been able to incorporate an offensive scoring "state of mind" in players on the defensive side of the ball, pull the data and run the stats, and you'll understand what kind of genius we're talking about - numbers DON'T LIE. His biggest issue over recent years, he's never been able to find a replacement of his former "de facto" field assistant and future HOF player Charles Woodson and more focus should've been on finding such a person. Perhaps if more hardcore knowledgeable Packer fans were aware of the truly unique approach that had been used during Woodson's years, the eyes on the field & realtime adjustments, they might grasp the depth of what had been accomplished. But finding such a uniquely capable player doesn't come around that often. Also, a little extra food for thought, Ted Thompson has been acknowledged over the years by many "genuine" NFL Franchise experts for having accomplished far more with far less resources than anyone to date!.........NO, knowledgeable football folks and Packer fans in the know can and will tell you the problem still exists. You can't have a future Hall of Fame Quarterback and a future Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator who are smarter than the head coach. And this personally disappoints me as a lifelong fan that the Board didn't recognize this problem 6-7 years ago; really before that. Honestly, he never should've been given the job. Yep that's right we very likely could've had more than one title over the past decade, more than "XLV" if the Board would've fixed this problem years ago....WAKE UP....Packer fans, the problem still remains.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be better.

I like him. My biggest complaint is (was) loyalty to underperforming staff. Now that he finally fired Capers, I'm interested in seeing how we do.

H

HardRightEdge

He could be better.

I like him. My biggest complaint is (was) loyalty to underperforming staff. Now that he finally fired Capers, I'm interested in seeing how we do.
I wouldn't be so sure that Murphy didn't fire Capers. Or "suggest" as much which amounts to the same thing.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya know...if anything i think he may be underrated. given some of the rosters he's been handed, and still make the playoffs, i think it's been almost a miracle. i think he deserves a little slack after hearing what we're now hearing about the how Ted operated.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated is putting it lightly. The problem remains, McCarthy should never been given the position of head coach! As a lifelong Packer fan and shareholder, all of this housecleaning was an aggregious step backwards. Why? Because Dom Capers is one of the greatest Defensive Coordinators of all time - Hall of Fame - THAT'S JUST A FACT! - he's a genius. Simply put, he has been able to incorporate an offensive scoring "state of mind" in players on the defensive side of the ball, pull the data and run the stats, and you'll understand what kind of genius we're talking about - numbers DON'T LIE. His biggest issue over recent years, he's never been able to find a replacement of his former "de facto" field assistant and future HOF player Charles Woodson and more focus should've been on finding such a person. Perhaps if more hardcore knowledgeable Packer fans were aware of the truly unique approach that had been used during Woodson's years, the eyes on the field & realtime adjustments, they might grasp the depth of what had been accomplished. But finding such a uniquely capable player doesn't come around that often. Also, a little extra food for thought, Ted Thompson has been acknowledged over the years by many "genuine" NFL Franchise experts for having accomplished far more with far less resources than anyone to date!.........NO, knowledgeable football folks and Packer fans in the know can and will tell you the problem still exists. You can't have a future Hall of Fame Quarterback and a future Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator who are smarter than the head coach. And this personally disappoints me as a lifelong fan that the Board didn't recognize this problem 6-7 years ago; really before that. Honestly, he never should've been given the job. Yep that's right we very likely could've had more than one title over the past decade, more than "XLV" if the Board would've fixed this problem years ago....WAKE UP....Packer fans, the problem still remains.

In how many threads is this going to show up?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya know...if anything i think he may be underrated. given some of the rosters he's been handed, and still make the playoffs, i think it's been almost a miracle. i think he deserves a little slack after hearing what we're now hearing about the how Ted operated.

No mandatory reference to anybody being able to make the playoffs when part of those rosters is a healthy AR?

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how most of the fans (outside the forum) see it.
Me personally, I just don’t like the argument “Belichick has won this and that”, “with Belichick, we would have”, etc. With that argument, 31 teams should fire their coach after every season.

Obviously, one SB appearance is not that much for having Rodgers, but on the other hand, the packers were an onside kick away from a second one (which they would have won imo). Plus they made the playoffs for 8th straight years, when Rodgers was healthy. Not many other teams (even with HOF QBs like Brees, Roethlisberger) did that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think one can argue with what Belichick has won. Has had a long run with a HOF QB and has been in the SB roughly 1/2 of the time and won it 1/3. That's the reason that even those who tout MM usually qualify with "outside of the Patriots..."

For many of us, it's about expectations. Of the 31 losing teams every year, how many had a legitimate chance at the Lombardi? The Packers have been in the top handful of preseason favorites many times and have just the one SB win/appearance. For many of the 31 losers, improvement alone merits job security.

While there is some credence to the fact that a great QB doesn't guarantee success, the black-and-white performance of the Pack with and without him seems to justify the position, not to mention that most would agree that AR is not just a HOFer but significantly better.

Finally, the onside kick (in itself, something that should have been coached beforehand) was just the last of (pick a number between 8 and 12) screw-ups that a well-coached team wouldn't have made to lose a game they'd dominated for 55 minutes.

Other than that, I agree. :)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How many NFC Championship game appearances? Brett (HOF QB) tosses pick against Giants.
Defense and special teams collapses against Seattle.
Beat by a healthier and BETTER team last year.

Unless McCarthy is a faith healer, or can telepathically prevent veterans from completely going brain dead in less than 5 minutes ... I'd say many Packers fans have unrealistic expectations as to what a coach can do.