I'm calling it right now.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 23rd overall selection, the Green Bay Packers select Mike Iupati, Guard, Idaho.

Scout.com: Senior Bowl: Iupati Conquers Challenges

If Spiller is there, he'll be the pick. He won't be there.

Best is also an alternative, but Thompson will believe it'll be too early to pick him. Also, he'll try to fix the OL as soon as possible, and Iupati will be too good to pass.

Any other LT option at that position will be considered a reach at that point.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 23rd overall selection, the Green Bay Packers select Mike Iupati, Guard, Idaho.

Scout.com: Senior Bowl: Iupati Conquers Challenges

If Spiller is there, he'll be the pick. He won't be there.

Best is also an alternative, but Thompson will believe it'll be too early to pick him. Also, he'll try to fix the OL as soon as possible, and Iupati will be too good to pass.

Any other LT option at that position will be considered a reach at that point.

Does he start right away or do we sign Clifton to a one year deal?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does he start right away or do we sign Clifton to a one year deal?
He'll start right away at LG. We would have a pair of stud young guards, aided by a savy veteran C. Would be one heck of an interior line.

Clifton can be a backup at best. He won't want to be a backup, and he'll be too costly to be a backup. Don't see Clifton coming back. Lang would start at LT.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll start right away at LG. We would have a pair of stud young guards, aided by a savy veteran C. Would be one heck of an interior line.

Clifton can be a backup at best. He won't want to be a backup, and he'll be too costly to be a backup. Don't see Clifton coming back. Lang would start at LT.

Yeah I've heard great things about Iupati too but many sites still consider him to be a 2nd rounder. I still think we should take one of the LT's in the first round and trade up in the second to get Iupati.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard great things about Iupati too but many sites still consider him to be a 2nd rounder. I still think we should take one of the LT's in the first round and trade up in the second to get Iupati.
If that would to happen would be awesome.

But I highly doubt he won't be picked in the first round.

I think two other prospects, Asamoah and Pouncey, could be found in the second round.

Both could eventually be quality starters I believe.

But would not be immediate impact players.

Another guys that I've read good things about is Vladimir Ducasse and Selvish Capers. Both could be netted in the second round.

My strategy would be to get Iupati in the first, and if Best is not available, to land Ducasse in the second.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that would to happen would be awesome.

But I highly doubt he won't be picked in the first round.

I think two other prospects, Asamoah and Pouncey, could be found in the second round.

Both could eventually be quality starters I believe.

But would not be immediate impact players.

Another guys that I've read good things about is Vladimir Ducasse and Selvish Capers. Both could be netted in the second round.

My strategy would be to get Iupati in the first, and if Best is not available, to land Ducasse in the second.

I think the best thing to do with that second rounder would be to take a corner. While this year's draft class isn't that deep the best ones are going to be gone in the second round and I hope we get one of those. After that like you said there are other capable guards. I just hope that if we do land Iupati our coaches don't have the brilliant idea to move him to LT in order to "experiment" him in that position.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Iupati continues his lights-put performance at Mobile and carries it into the combine, I have little doubt, he is gone at 23.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best thing to do with that second rounder would be to take a corner. While this year's draft class isn't that deep the best ones are going to be gone in the second round and I hope we get one of those. After that like you said there are other capable guards. I just hope that if we do land Iupati our coaches don't have the brilliant idea to move him to LT in order to "experiment" him in that position.
I've heard some experts project him as a LT in the pros...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Iupati continues his lights-put performance at Mobile and carries it into the combine, I have little doubt, he is gone at 23.

We will have to trade up to get him, but that may mean a quality left tackle may fall to our 23rd pick.

We have such a young team at this point, would not mind if TT uses half our picks in trade to get another first round pick and move up in the second round. I think if we only draft 4 players in the second round or higher we will be fine, rather than having 7 to 10 rookies entering training camp.

using our picks 3 through 7 and some players in a trade, Hawk,Jones, Nelson, D. Lee, Poppinga, Brandon Jackson, Bush, Crosby

Example

Trading Hawk and a 3rd round pick for another first round pick or a high second round pick with a 6th or 7th round pick
or
the Packers 4th/5th/6th for another high second round pick and 7th.

That would give the Packers 4 good picks in the first 2 rounds.

stud O-lineman, best available at the guard or left tackle position.
the best available at the CB/safety position.
best available pass rusher at the inside/outside LB position.
Best available RB/kick return/ Percy H. Type player, new toy for the offense and special teams

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

I just read in Bedard's blog yesterday that this is probably true. He's been so dominant so far in the Senior Bowl practices that he is likely to shoot way up past #23 on draft boards... Shucks!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think it's Jahvid Best and I think Thompson has proven he doesn't take offensive linemen early.

Best adds a dynamic, shifty back to our running attack. He's the lightning to Ryan Grant's thunder.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Kyle Wilson, who I've heard has worked his way up to a late first round pick with his play at the Senior Bowl this week.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's Jahvid Best and I think Thompson has proven he doesn't take offensive linemen early.

Best adds a dynamic, shifty back to our running attack. He's the lightning to Ryan Grant's thunder.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Kyle Wilson, who I've heard has worked his way up to a late first round pick with his play at the Senior Bowl this week.

True but if we take Best early how much does he want to get paid? 4? 5? or maybe around 6 million a year which is the same amount we are paying Grant. It wouldn't be smart to spend money in such an area where you can get two players at another position of need say the OL or CB for the same price.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True but if we take Best early how much does he want to get paid? 4? 5? or maybe around 6 million a year which is the same amount we are paying Grant. It wouldn't be smart to spend money in such an area where you can get two players at another position of need say the OL or CB for the same price.
I think that's a good point, but if TT evaluates him as a gamebreaker, I think he takes him.

And I'd be all for it. I just, from what I've seen, don't think Best is that great of a player.

But I thought Jonathan Stewart was by far the best RB in that draft class, so...

Members online

Latest posts