Give Credit Where Credit is Due! (Mason Crosby)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's almost disturbing how similar this is to my opinion on the whole subject of Crosby. Word for word. Like MM is trotting him out there, attempting FG's over 40 yrds with the idea that if he makes one...just one... he'll be cured. Yet everything we've ever heard about developing consistency in the kicking game is repetition, not the fleeting thrill of drilling one from 50+.
If he's nailing from 65 in practice, but missing in game, then maybe it IS all mental, and all it will take to fix is one made kick. Remember, kicking is high pressure and your job could rest on every kick

H

HardRightEdge

It's almost disturbing how similar this is to my opinion on the whole subject of Crosby.

If the analysis is accurate, it should not be disturbing at all that we agree. It should be disturbing that it is not the consensus. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Crosby has a killer leg, Youtube has a video of him just missing a 69 yarder IN GAME. Range is not a problem.

Quality K can be found in UDFA. Robbie Gould, the kid tearing it up in Baltimore, both UDFA. We don't NEED to waste a draft pick on a K we can likely sign for free. Especially considering if he loses the K battle we cut him.

On an unrelated matter, which I'd have posted in the Bears game thread if we had one, Gould was placed on IR this week. They signed Olindo Mare. :roflmao:

12theTruth

I don't feel drafting a K say in the 7th round would be a wasted pick. In recent years we have had multiple selections in the 7th round and this year most likely will mirror that. I'd bet a drafted kicker shows more committment by the Packers organization and adds more symbolism towards the competition instead of just remaining status quo and adding a camp kicker.

Remember that going the UDFA route you are competing against other teams possibly and may end up paying more than if we were to draft a K in the 7th round. Not likely but given that there is only a handful or less K's drafted each year the competition for UDFA's wouldn't ensure Ted would get his guy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't feel drafting a K say in the 7th round would be a wasted pick. In recent years we have had multiple selections in the 7th round and this year most likely will mirror that. I'd bet a drafted kicker shows more committment by the Packers organization and adds more symbolism towards the competition instead of just remaining status quo and adding a camp kicker.
Valid points but all moot should the K lose out to Crosby and be cut
Remember that going the UDFA route you are competing against other teams possibly and may end up paying more than if we were to draft a K in the 7th round. Not likely but given that there is only a handful or less K's drafted each year the competition for UDFA's wouldn't ensure Ted would get his guy.
Admitted. The only way to be sure is that you draft him. I'm just not sure that it is worth picking a K over a different position, granted, it entails the same amount of risk (possibility of getting cut) if not more (limited # of K in UDFA)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
All players go through slumps. It looks like Mason is recovering from his at just the right time. If ever there was a good time for him to have a slump it's early to mid-season. I think during the last two games he got his confidence back. The only FG he missed was a long one into the wind and snow. The fact that the Lions kicker missed one right after him negates it. I don't think we have to worry so much about Mason Crosby. He's the least of our worries. I think we should focus on much more important matters such as keeping up the good work the O-Line, running game and defense have been doing. If we are able to do that Crosby's impact either positive or negative will not be as significant.

12theTruth

All players go through slumps. It looks like Mason is recovering from his at just the right time. If ever there was a good time for him to have a slump it's early to mid-season. I think during the last two games he got his confidence back. The only FG he missed was a long one into the wind and snow. The fact that the Lions kicker missed one right after him negates it. I don't think we have to worry so much about Mason Crosby. He's the least of our worries. I think we should focus on much more important matters such as keeping up the good work the O-Line, running game and defense have been doing. If we are able to do that Crosby's impact either positive or negative will not be as significant.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, however, wouldn't it bee in the best interest of the franchise long term to employ a complete FG kicker who isn't one of the worst if not worst at an important aspect of his job. I think it is an important part especially if two teams come down to the wire and need to nail the longer FG to tie or win the game.

As of now the Packers do not have a kicker who can do that.

Rewind back to Saints vs Vikings in the NFC championship a couple years back. The Vikes had it inside the Saints 40 yard line at the cusp of FG range. Well Favre threw one of his classic game killing INT's there but what IF it came down to the kicker. Would the Packers have the kicker to put out there for that kick and feel even remotely comfortable? Heck no.

As far as the overall season needs you mentioned i agree. Much progress and the unexpected recent running success is indeed delightful.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment of your post, however, wouldn't it bee in the best interest of the franchise long term to employ a complete FG kicker who isn't one of the worst if not worst at an important aspect of his job. I think it is an important part especially if two teams come down to the wire and need to nail the longer FG to tie or win the game.

As of now the Packers do not have a kicker who can do that.

Rewind back to Saints vs Vikings in the NFC championship a couple years back. The Vikes had it on the 34 yard line at the cusp of FG range. Well Favre threw one of his classic game killing INT's there but what IF it came down to the kicker. Would the Packers have the kicker to put out there for that kick and feel even remotely comfortable? Heck no.

As far as the overall season needs you mentioned i agree. Much progress and the unexpected recent running success is indeed delightful.

That is a legitimate concern as a lot of games have come down to a last second FG this season and that's something we are likely to see in the playoffs. To answer your question I would absolutely love to see the Packers have a franchise kicker who they can depend on in any situation. What remains to be is, is that kicker Crosby or not. That question remains unanswered. Clearly TT and MM must have some faith in him and if they do then so do I. If it turns out they're wrong I also have faith that he will be released or traded and another kicker will take his place. But again, that remains to be seen. He has certainly struggled this year, no question there but is that enough for them to consider his replacement I'm not so sure on that.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's nailing from 65 in practice, but missing in game, then maybe it IS all mental, and all it will take to fix is one made kick. Remember, kicking is high pressure and your job could rest on every kick

FG are a 3 step process .... a bad snap is obvious. A bad hold..... not always obvious. If the laces not in front the ball drifts to side the laces are on. Then there is mechanics of the kick. Where the plant foot is and swing through. In practice you do not have to get the ball over the defense. Mort Anderson had shrink... he said it helped. Certainly could be purely mental. I just want the problem solved. Even if you plan to keep Crosby i almost want still bring Free agent maybe another kicker can see what he doing wrong. If purely mental sometimes you do not know what your doing wrong. This team jelling hate see us lose out in playoff over kicking problem.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
A bad hold is not the kicker's fault.
Crosby actually has an instructional video out on how to kick, based on what I saw there he seems to know the mechanics of kicking to (step plant kick).
Actually most teams (ours included) will simulate kick defense.
Kickers have one job, get the ball between the uprights. They practice it all week. When a kicker is called in to the game, he is expected to make the kick. A kick that usually ends up deciding the game. But he only gets one shot at it. It is his only job, and the fans know it. He is only out there because the offense couldn't score. The fans and the team are putting all their hopes on him to make this kick so they can say the drive did not end in failure. If he misses, the other team gets the ball with great field position. He will have let the fans and the team down. Especially the defense. His only job is to make that kick, and that job, his entire livelihood, hangs on whether or not he makes this kick. And he knows all of this. I'd say kicking is a good bit mental.I'd even say that kickers have more pressure put on them than the quarterback.
Even if it is mental, it does not necessarily mean you do not know what is wrong. Lets say he was flinching just before the kick, he is not, but lets pretend he is, he would probably be aware of that.
I agree that another Kicker should be brought in. In the offseason. I'm not going to risk his mental state any further this year knowing that it could cause him to completely break down mentally. Besides that the other kicker would not tell Crosby what was was wrong anyway because he would want the starting Kicker job for himself. Give him some solid competition in the offseason and let whatever happens, happen.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

In practice there is no pressure, they is no line of offensive and defensive players to kick over, he can do a more line drive shot. My wife and I were up in GB in 2011 during the preseason and we went to an open practice and we too saw him nail down a 65+ yard kick in practice, but that is a different scenario than game time is.

I really hope the last couple weeks gave him some bit of mojo back, we will need a confident kicker in the playoffs and bad weather coming up.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Huh. The one time I went to the Eagles they had one guy run at the kicker from the "edge" and one guy standing in front of the LS, both with a broom trying to block the kick. I figured we did something similar. Granted that was back in the Akers era

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts