Free Agency Thread

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Rogue’s Gallery of the Packers mostly failed attempts drafting DBs. I had forgotten about Rollins, Jackson, and King. King was the most painful because of the TJ Watt miss.

Regardless, it’s a v poor track record.
I'd just like to add that the defensive coaches are not off the hook either. They certainly bear some of the responsibility for these failures. Just like the offensive line coaches through the years deserve a lot of credit for our success with middle and late round offensive linemen draft picks through the past 10 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd just like to add that the defensive coaches are not off the hook either. They certainly bear some of the responsibility for these failures. Just like the offensive line coaches through the years deserve a lot of credit for our success with middle and late round offensive linemen draft picks through the past 10 years.
I agree. I was never a fan of Joe Whitt Jr. and when they got rid of him, they put Jason Simmons in his place, who learned under Whitt! :eek: I always felt that the DB's were poorly coached under both those guys.

Whitt has bounced around and this season, the WTF team has given him the reigns at DC! Guess who he named as his Defensive pass game coordinator? None other than Jason Simmons. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looking good Xavier!

Now I understand why Gute traded Rasul! He needed the jersey back!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if McKinney has any room left for a Packers tattoo?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the Rogue’s Gallery of the Packers mostly failed attempts drafting DBs. I had forgotten about Rollins, Jackson, and King. King was the most painful because of the TJ Watt miss.

Regardless, it’s a v poor track record.

They were indeed forgettable.

At the time Green Bay had let Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde walk in free agency...Both went on to have success with other teams. The Pack kept chasing their replacements in the draft without success.

Every GM, even the good ones, make moves they later regret. I remember Ron Wolf lamenting that he should have resigned Bryce Paup, who went on to have a very productive career in Buffalo.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Those coaches should be able to not only coach up these guys to play in the NFL, they should recognize the strenghts and weaknesses of each player. And then they need to communicate so the DC and HC are well informed when drawing up game plans and actually calling plays.
They were indeed forgettable.

At the time Green Bay had let Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde walk in free agency...Both went on to have success with other teams. The Pack kept chasing their replacements in the draft without success.

Every GM, even the good ones, make moves they later regret. I remember Ron Wolf lamenting that he should have resigned Bryce Paup, who went on to have a very productive career in Buffalo.
It happens to every GM, even the great Ron Wolf. The Packers' attempts at drafting and keeping secondary talent however read like a Shakespearian tragedy. They have picked the wrong guys, a lot, and let some v good guys leave.

It's gotten better, a little. While he's high maintenance, JA is a very good corner, and the group overall seems slightly better than years past. It's hard to evaluate the last three years under Barry because of his excessive use of zone.

Hopefully McKinney will add considerable value, along with the new DC, to the secondary. And I do hope Gluten jumps up a few spots to grab one of the three or four solid corners in this draft. Gotta keep trying. An improved secondary may be the last piece needed for a deep playoff run.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Those coaches should be able to not only coach up these guys to play in the NFL, they should recognize the strenghts and weaknesses of each player. And then they need to communicate so the DC and HC are well informed when drawing up game plans and actually calling plays.

It happens to every GM, even the great Ron Wolf. The Packers' attempts at drafting and keeping secondary talent however read like a Shakespearian tragedy. They have picked the wrong guys, a lot, and let some v good guys leave.

It's gotten better, a little. While he's high maintenance, JA is a very good corner, and the group overall seems slightly better than years past. It's hard to evaluate the last three years under Barry because of his excessive use of zone.

Hopefully McKinney will add considerable value, along with the new DC, to the secondary. And I do hope Gluten jumps up a few spots to grab one of the three or four solid corners in this draft. Gotta keep trying. An improved secondary may be the last piece needed for a deep playoff run.

Carrington Valentine looks like a seventh-round steal, it will be interesting to see how he develops. If Eric Stokes could just stay healthy the Packer's secondary could be in pretty good shape next season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carrington Valentine looks like a seventh-round steal, it will be interesting to see how he develops. If Eric Stokes could just stay healthy the Packer's secondary could be in pretty good shape next season.
Valentine did play well last year, a very encouraging part of the Packers' youth movement. LT Wallace was also a 7th rd pick, I think, and he came on strong as the season progressed. Kudos to Gluten and his team for finding these diamonds in the rough.

And yeah, if Stokes can recapture his first year groove, the starting CBs are set, with a bit of depth. It looks like Nixon is in line to be the starting slot corner, but his primary value is as a K returner, especially with the rule changes. I'd still like them to move up in rd 1 and take one of the projected starting CBs in this draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now it becomes Keenan Allen and Sam Darnold. But my biggest concern now is at LB. Not much left to sign. Will we draft and play rookies?
:roflmao:

Bears may have traded for a guy that is 1 and done in Chicago. Granted, they only gave up a 4th rounder for Keenan, but his contract is going to cost them $23.1M in 2024, if they don't work out an extension/new deal with him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Every GM, even the good ones, make moves they later regret.
Those coaches should be able to not only coach up these guys to play in the NFL, they should recognize the strenghts and weaknesses of each player.

This subject has been hashed and rehashed several times through the years. IMO, the blame for all the wasted resources on DB's over the last 10 or so years is multi-layered. It starts with the scouts then the GM and then the coaches. It also has happened under the watches of 2 GM's and multiple HC's, DC's and defensive coaches.

Scouts and GM: Take a guy like Josh Jackson. At one point he was being heralded as a first round pick. He "falls" to Gute at pick #45 and it appears the Packers got a steal. Jackson IMO is the definition of a complete bust. He struggled in GB, didn't make it past the 3rd year of his rookie deal and hasn't played in the NFL since. Funny thing about Jackson and possibly a sidenote to the whole "DB's in GB Debacle", he was traded for Isaac Yiadom. Yiadom was a CB that the Broncos drafted at #99 in 2018 and gave up on after 2 seasons. They traded him to the Giants for a 7th round pick, who also gave up on him and dumped him for the Packers Jackson in a trade. Yiadom barely had a cup of coffee in GB and was eventually cut in 2022. He finally ended up with the Saints, must have had a decent 2023 season, because the 49'ers just signed him on a 1 yeard deal, that is worth up to $3M.

Coaching: Players like Yiadom, Hyde and Heyward, that leave GB and play much better with other teams, leads me to believe that in some cases, it has been the coaching that is the issue. Granted, maybe the players mindset and/or skillset greatly improved with another team, but why?

My biggest takeaway from the Packers DB Debacle, is focused on all the wasted resources that were used on DB's that didn't pan out and how to stop that bleeding. Resources that if spent on other positions, may have improved the team. While we have all complained about Capers, Pettine and Barry, I put most of the DB duds on TT, Gute and the Scouts. For whatever reason, there was way too much draft investment in DB's that ended up wasting those resources. Given that Gute is beginning to bat just as bad as TT did when it comes to DB's, I really have to wonder if they need to hire a new scout(s) that specializes in finding talented DB's.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta wonder what that will all look like when he's in his 60s. Tattoos strike me as a permanent solution to a temporary want.
They have the artistic value of graffiti on a grungy old railroad overpass in the grungiest part of town. Jmo

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think I posted this before, but just in case I didn't. My "favorite" tattoo ever, that I have seen in person, was during a Willy St. Block party in Madison. A guy had a full back tattoo, appeared to be his family portrait. Was him, 2 children and a woman. I assume he and the woman mut of had a bad break-up, since her face had been removed from the tattoo. :roflmao: Imagine being his next GF, seeing that tattoo for the first time, in bed, wondering if her face will be inked-in some day.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This subject has been hashed and rehashed several times through the years. IMO, the blame for all the wasted resources on DB's over the last 10 or so years is multi-layered. It starts with the scouts then the GM and then the coaches. It also has happened under the watches of 2 GM's and multiple HC's, DC's and defensive coaches.

Scouts and GM: Take a guy like Josh Jackson. At one point he was being heralded as a first round pick. He "falls" to Gute at pick #45 and it appears the Packers got a steal. Jackson IMO is the definition of a complete bust. He struggled in GB, didn't make it past the 3rd year of his rookie deal and hasn't played in the NFL since. Funny thing about Jackson and possibly a sidenote to the whole "DB's in GB Debacle", he was traded for Isaac Yiadom. Yiadom was a CB that the Broncos drafted at #99 in 2018 and gave up on after 2 seasons. They traded him to the Giants for a 7th round pick, who also gave up on him and dumped him for the Packers Jackson in a trade. Yiadom barely had a cup of coffee in GB and was eventually cut in 2022. He finally ended up with the Saints, must have had a decent 2023 season, because the 49'ers just signed him on a 1 yeard deal, that is worth up to $3M.

Coaching: Players like Yiadom, Hyde and Heyward, that leave GB and play much better with other teams, leads me to believe that in some cases, it has been the coaching that is the issue. Granted, maybe the players mindset and/or skillset greatly improved with another team, but why?

My biggest takeaway from the Packers DB Debacle, is focused on all the wasted resources that were used on DB's that didn't pan out and how to stop that bleeding. Resources that if spent on other positions, may have improved the team. While we have all complained about Capers, Pettine and Barry, I put most of the DB duds on TT, Gute and the Scouts. For whatever reason, there was way too much draft investment in DB's that ended up wasting those resources. Given that Gute is beginning to bat just as bad as TT did when it comes to DB's, I really have to wonder if they need to hire a new scout(s) that specializes in finding talented DB's.
All we needed was a few more Tramon Williams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now I'm wondering if this is a problem unique to GB, or is there something about the position that makes transition to the pros difficult? I understand why safety doesn't translate well from college to the pros, and it has to do with speed (I think). That could be the same problem with CBs I suppose.

Maybe somewhere there are some stats that show how well secondary players do in the NFL. I'm just not that interested in finding out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They make Joseph sound like a really good kicker but why has he changed teams so often?
Considering he was available, you have to wonder right? While he has been with 6 other teams, he had been with the Vikings for 3 straight seasons, so that might say something about him finally getting into a veteran groove. He also holds the NFL record for game-winners in a season (5), Vikings record for longest FG (61 yds), & led the NFL in TB% in ’21.

I don't think Gute is messing around. He signed a vet that is very capable of taking over the job from Anders, putting full pressure on the 2nd year, 6th round pick to perform well or be cut.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if this is a problem unique to GB, or is there something about the position that makes transition to the pros difficult? I understand why safety doesn't translate well from college to the pros, and it has to do with speed (I think). That could be the same problem with CBs I suppose.

Maybe somewhere there are some stats that show how well secondary players do in the NFL. I'm just not that interested in finding out.
Back about 20 years ago we drafted Ahmad Carroll, a highly touted CB with physical skills at Arkansas I believe. One of the big issues he had coming into the NFL was the illegal contact rule after 5 yards which was not part of the college game at the time. He was a no. 1 pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Back about 20 years ago we drafted Ahmad Carroll, a highly touted CB with physical skills at Arkansas I believe. One of the big issues he had coming into the NFL was the illegal contact rule after 5 yards which was not part of the college game at the time. He was a no. 1 pick.
Then there was also "Chump Change Buckley". Ron Wolf and the Packers used the 5th pick of the 1992 draft on the guy. Less than 3 years later the Packers traded Buckley to Miami for "past considerations." Buckley went on to have a pretty decent career elsewhere, but man he was a mistake for Wolf and the Packers.

https://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/202039891.html

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Both Hyde and Hayward played quite well for Green Bay. Yiadom may be hanging on after several teams have let him go, but he's been a blip on the NFL radar.

I don't see the coaching as a major issue.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valentine did play well last year, a very encouraging part of the Packers' youth movement. LT Wallace was also a 7th rd pick, I think, and he came on strong as the season progressed. Kudos to Gluten and his team for finding these diamonds in the rough.

And yeah, if Stokes can recapture his first year groove, the starting CBs are set, with a bit of depth. It looks like Nixon is in line to be the starting slot corner, but his primary value is as a K returner, especially with the rule changes. I'd still like them to move up in rd 1 and take one of the projected starting CBs in this draft.

My guess is that the Pack is more likely to move down than up, but one never knows with Gutey.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then there was also "Chump Change Buckley". Ron Wolf and the Packers used the 5th pick of the 1992 draft on the guy. Less than 3 years later the Packers traded Buckley to Miami for "past considerations." Buckley went on to have a pretty decent career elsewhere, but man he was a mistake for Wolf and the Packers.

https://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/202039891.html
He certainly was. I recall when Jim McMahon spent time in Minnesota he burned Buckley on a long one in the last minute of play when you are supposed to guard against that pass in a tie game. We lost.