Free Agency Thread

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the old saying goes, "A Little Love Goes a Long Way".

Sounds like Love might have been a reason why Jacobs signed with the Packers. McKinney was also very impressed with him when the Giants were watching film and prepping for their game with the Packers.
I completely agree - the second half of that season suddenly made Green Bay the top desination for the best free agents on the market, who are looking to position themselves for a Lombardi and trying to find the team most worthy of their talents. Jacobs said he had 10 or 12 teams dialing his number, but Green Bay was his first choice.

When was the last time we ever heard a top free agent say that?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of mistskes..fields traded to steelers for 6th rd pick!
Not a bad deal at all for Pittsburgh. They got at least a somewhat capable backup for as little as a 6th-round pick. That's dirt cheap, even for Fields.

Dman, I'm sure gonna miss him though.

Reaction score
Of these six - "no longer Packers", who do you want back? I've put them in the order I would prioritize them.

- S Rudy Ford: Good depth at a position of need and a special teamer. He played defense on 626 snaps last season.

- T Yosh Nijman: Good back-up tackles aren't easy to find.

- LB Eric Wilson: Another guy that can be a backup and special teamer.

The remaining 3 probably will be lucky to find themselves on a 53 man roster come September. Hard to really say I want any of them back.

• CB Robert Rochell
  • TE Josiah Deguara
  • RB Patrick Taylor
Eric Wilson has been a leading Tackler on ST.
He’s actually a decent backup LB with lots of experience. He’s played both OLB (Vikings) and ILB (Eagles). He hasn’t been used in that capacity in GB, but he had success both in pass rush sets and in pass coverage across his career.

Obviously having a Swing Tackle with experience is important. Plus I’m a Hokies fan, so Nij would be a close 2nd.

I think there’s just a plethora of Safety options this year. I’d be surprised if we can’t find an upgrade over Ford on the cheap. It is also possible we draft a Safety. Plus, we still do have Johnson, who looked good in limited time last season. Nothing against Ford he’s ok ish but I’m having hard time imagining we can’t upgrade on the cheap. I’m thinking drafting a Safety between #41 and #127

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Keep in mind both Newman and Myers are in their final contract year. I’m not excited about either one. Although it’s possible they are safe just for pure lack of experienced options in 2025.
I don't think either of them are safe for 2024, especially if the Packers use day 1 and 2 picks on their replacements.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not a bad deal at all for Pittsburgh. They got at least a somewhat capable backup for as little as a 6th-round pick. That's dirt cheap, even for Fields.

Agree and while I still question if Fields is a starting QB, maybe in the right situation, he flourishes. Russell playing for league minimum (from the Steelers) helps their situation quite a bit.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree and while I still question if Fields is a starting QB, maybe in the right situation, he flourishes. Russell playing for league minimum (from the Steelers) helps their situation quite a bit.
I had a crazy thought earlier tonight.... Fields clearly has the skills, he just doesn't know how to play quarterback at the NFL level. He just doesn't understand what is happening or what he's supposed to do. What if he'd spent some time in a system that's known for being patient and taking the time to develop a talented quarterback?

Like, say... Green Bay?

I'm definitely not saying we should get him now, or that we ever should have at various inflection points when he would have been most easily available, because there was no point in his timeline where it would have made sense to take him on as a development project. We could only have afforded to use a roster spot on him as a backup ready to step in at any time, and I'm not sure that would ever have made sense for us.

But if we had just stumbled across him, by some quirk of fate... I wonder what we could have turned him into.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there’s just a plethora of Safety options this year. I’d be surprised if we can’t find an upgrade over Ford on the cheap. It is also possible we draft a Safety. Plus, we still do have Johnson, who looked good in limited time last season. Nothing against Ford he’s ok ish but I’m having hard time imagining we can’t upgrade on the cheap. I’m thinking drafting a Safety between #41 and #127
I think it's certain we're drafting at least one safety, just a question of when.

If we add our Safety #2 through free agency before the draft, then we may wait until Day 3, but if we go into the draft standing pat at safety I think we go Day 2 for either Nubin or Bullard. Based on the scouts they've sent to various pro days this past week, those seem to be the safeties in which we are most interested, and they're both reasonable picks in that very range you mentioned.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had a crazy thought earlier tonight.... Fields clearly has the skills, he just doesn't know how to play quarterback at the NFL level. He just doesn't understand what is happening or what he's supposed to do. What if he'd spent some time in a system that's known for being patient and taking the time to develop a talented quarterback?

Like, say... Green Bay?

I'm definitely not saying we should get him now, or that we ever should have at various inflection points when he would have been most easily available, because there was no point in his timeline where it would have made sense to take him on as a development project. We could only have afforded to use a roster spot on him as a backup ready to step in at any time, and I'm not sure that would ever have made sense for us.

But if we had just stumbled across him, by some quirk of fate... I wonder what we could have turned him into.
I think QB is the one position in Football that a rookie shouldn't be rushed. Too much to learn and soak up, while having the fate of your team placed squarely on your shoulders. Being thrust into the starting position has a good chance of stunting that development, as well as a way of picking up bad habits. I suppose some are capable of it, but I'd prefer to bring them along slowly and not risk watching them start second guessing every decision.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think QB is the one position in Football that a rookie shouldn't be rushed. Too much to learn and soak up, while having the fate of your team placed squarely on your shoulders. Being thrust into the starting position has a good chance of stunting that development, as well as a way of picking up bad habits. I suppose some are capable of it, but I'd prefer to bring them along slowly and not risk watching them start second guessing every decision.
Yes, and that's probably the single biggest reason such an enormous number of highly regarded quarterback prospects never come close to their projections. The absolute best quarterbacks in every draft - the top 3-6 in the entire country - go, almost without exception, to theterrible teams. Most truly terroible teams are terrible largely (maybe even mostly) because they have a truly terribe quarterback, which means the highly rated 22-year old quarterback is expected to step right in, learn his new team's entire offense in just 3 months, and simultaneously having to earn basically how the entire game works at the NFL level.

All while moving into a new home in a whole new city, meeting new teammates and coaches and forming relationships with them, and being assaulted by the media every time he gets within 50 feet of a camera or a microphone and expected to say Extremely Wise and Important Things.

And within roughly 45 days of the start of your frst training camp (the very first snap you take with your new team), you're expected to lead that team in a preseason game in front of 70,000 fans. Knowing that every single move you make is going to be dissected, analyzed, judged, and criticized by hundreds of anaysts and media "experts" by the time you wake up the next morimg. I mean, every single move, on every single play - the way you use your eyes, the way you c... o... c... k your arm, the way you move your feet, even your freaking body language. On every single play, every single second you're on the field. You're expected to rescue this entire franchise, and lead it - your team, your 50-some teammates, the millions of fans - to salvation. They're all banking on you, personally.

Can any of us even imagine the pressure? I can't even come close. I'm just amazed that any of them can do it; what incredible men they must be.

It's an absolutely enormous ask, an overwhelming task, and frankly I'm extremely impressed that any 22-year old kid can step into that position and succeed.

I wonder if a college quarterback who is rated more in the second tier statistically has a better chance of success if he goes to a team who needs him to fit into their short=term plans, but not a Week One savior. And can let him ease into the job, like the Chiefs were able to do with Mahomes. They had a team good enough that they could afford to let him sit and watch Alex Smith for a year, and it paid off in spades. And of course, we know abut Rodgers in 2005, and Love in 2020.

The game is becoming incredibly complex for a young quarterback to have to master in just the first few months of his career, but I wonder how many teams ever find themselves in a position to draft a Top 3-5 quarterback are also in a position where they can afford to be patient for a year or two. They need results immediately, whether the QB is ready or not. And I think a lot of really talented quarterbacks who could have been stars or even hall of famers wind up being just pissed away in pursuit of immediate success.

But I wonder how many other teams are going to smell the coffee, and start following the Green Bay model of drafting their franchise quarterbacks a couple of years before they absolutely need them.

Edit: apparently, the word "terrible" is acceptable here. Unlike the word "*********". :-D

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind both Newman and Myers are in their final contract year. I’m not excited about either one. Although it’s possible they are safe just for pure lack of experienced options in 2025.
Could it be that they both pull off a TJ Lang? Wouldn't that be sweet?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Wouldn't be surprised to see Fields used as /slash, redo of Kordell Stewart. Tomlin's options on offense aren't very good with his current cast.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, and that's probably the single biggest reason such an enormous number of highly regarded quarterback prospects never come close to their projections. The absolute best quarterbacks in every draft - the top 3-6 in the entire country - go, almost without exception, to theterrible teams. Most truly terroible teams are terrible largely (maybe even mostly) because they have a truly terribe quarterback, which means the highly rated 22-year old quarterback is expected to step right in, learn his new team's entire offense in just 3 months, and simultaneously having to earn basically how the entire game works at the NFL level.

All while moving into a new home in a whole new city, meeting new teammates and coaches and forming relationships with them, and being assaulted by the media every time he gets within 50 feet of a camera or a microphone and expected to say Extremely Wise and Important Things.

And within roughly 45 days of the start of your frst training camp (the very first snap you take with your new team), you're expected to lead that team in a preseason game in front of 70,000 fans. Knowing that every single move you make is going to be dissected, analyzed, judged, and criticized by hundreds of anaysts and media "experts" by the time you wake up the next morimg. I mean, every single move, on every single play - the way you use your eyes, the way you c... o... c... k your arm, the way you move your feet, even your freaking body language. On every single play, every single second you're on the field. You're expected to rescue this entire franchise, and lead it - your team, your 50-some teammates, the millions of fans - to salvation. They're all banking on you, personally.

Can any of us even imagine the pressure? I can't even come close. I'm just amazed that any of them can do it; what incredible men they must be.

It's an absolutely enormous ask, an overwhelming task, and frankly I'm extremely impressed that any 22-year old kid can step into that position and succeed.

I wonder if a college quarterback who is rated more in the second tier statistically has a better chance of success if he goes to a team who needs him to fit into their short=term plans, but not a Week One savior. And can let him ease into the job, like the Chiefs were able to do with Mahomes. They had a team good enough that they could afford to let him sit and watch Alex Smith for a year, and it paid off in spades. And of course, we know abut Rodgers in 2005, and Love in 2020.

The game is becoming incredibly complex for a young quarterback to have to master in just the first few months of his career, but I wonder how many teams ever find themselves in a position to draft a Top 3-5 quarterback are also in a position where they can afford to be patient for a year or two. They need results immediately, whether the QB is ready or not. And I think a lot of really talented quarterbacks who could have been stars or even hall of famers wind up being just pissed away in pursuit of immediate success.

But I wonder how many other teams are going to smell the coffee, and start following the Green Bay model of drafting their franchise quarterbacks a couple of years before they absolutely need them.

Edit: apparently, the word "terrible" is acceptable here. Unlike the word "*********". :-D
Not many I suspect. GM's job security is very fragile in this league. They all seem to be desperate for win now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fields traded for a 3rd round pick once the QB injuries start to add up next season.
Yes. And the inevitable flops. A pretty decent % of starting QB's stink pretty bad every year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fields traded for a 3rd round pick once the QB injuries start to add up next season.
So are you, the Pittsburgh GM, using the 5th yr option ($25.664mil for '25) on Fields to get that 3rd rounder? Need to decide by May 2nd to pay him, or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So are you, the Pittsburgh GM, using the 5th yr option ($25.664mil for '25) on Fields to get that 3rd rounder? Need to decide by May 2nd to pay him, or not.
120% No on the 5th year option.

I was thinking about that too and even though his rookie deal is up at the end of 2024, he might be trade bait before the trade deadline. More than likely, he settles into the NFL as a journeyman backup QB, that gets the occasional starting stint. I can think of worse #2 QB's to have.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends a little bit on the draft. I mean Pitt could still go QB in this draft. I would lean against the 5th year option. IMO if you lose him the following year to FA you may get the 3rd rounder via a compensatory pick.

Reaction score
I completely agree - the second half of that season suddenly made Green Bay the top desination for the best free agents on the market, who are looking to position themselves for a Lombardi and trying to find the team most worthy of their talents. Jacobs said he had 10 or 12 teams dialing his number, but Green Bay was his first choice.

When was the last time we ever heard a top free agent say that?
It’s a beautiful thing. Trying to be as subjective as possible, IF I were a FA shopping the market, there are about 4-5 teams I’d be interested right now.
KC, 49ers, Packers and Texans top that list. I might throw the Steelers in there also. I think their primary issue was at QB in 2023 and IF Wilson clicks they’ll be at least a Divisional Strength team.
Past the obvious in KC, I think the Packers and Texans have the most long term potential. Our bottom is a similarly fighting for that Wildcard area spot again, but our top is the Lombardi if the Defense comes up a notch.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends a little bit on the draft. I mean Pitt could still go QB in this draft. I would lean against the 5th year option. IMO if you lose him the following year to FA you may get the 3rd rounder via a compensatory pick.
2023 3rd round comp picks all got multi-year contracts averaging over $18mil/yr... don't envision any team giving Fields that. For his career's sake hope he gets another shot at starter, soon, otherwise he'll bounce around as an experienced #2 for a few years.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shaq Leonard could be a guy gutey looks to at lb. They kicked the tires on him a couple of years ago. Could be a decent mid tier signing.