Favre Better than ever!

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Okay let me make this a little more clear?

I have watched every Viking game that was on in my area..And if they played during the Packers I dvr'd it..

What I saw was a player that was not trying to take risks...I saw very little passes trying to force it in to triple coverage..So a player that tried was trying to be careful with the ball..The times i knwo off hand when he acted that way was the Ariz game and I think it showed..

that is what i am referring too..

If that doesnt make it more clear then you need to take of the hate glasses :0

There has actually been several occassions where he forced the ball into double coverage and even triple coveraged ... Especially one play against the Packers at Lambeau comes to mind ...

But as a player he is still the "same", however, I do agree with you that he is taking "less" risks than he did some times while with the Packers ...

Again, I credit this more to the team he is on currently than anything else really ...

There are alot of factors weighing in than just those "apparent" ones, but to say that he isn't the same player would be wrong, because he is still able to make those passes (that alot of people predicted he wouldn't be able to).

Ofcourse he has his faults, and ofcourse he has had some bad games this season, - however, I do think it has more to do with the team he is playing on, than him actually having changed who he is ...

The huge difference this season as opposed to other seasons is that those times when it was "put on him", for most parts (the loses against Steelers, Arizona and Panthers being the exception), Favre has been able to "perform" ...

I have no doubt that if the Vikings hadn't gotten a play off berth, most people would be saying the totally opposite ... - That it was "The Favre we knew ..." ...

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would have to be Brett's best season imo. Nothing against him but he did have some terrific weapons and a fairly easy schedule.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much different than his Super Bowl days in GB. Good line, good D, good running backs. Trent Dilfer has a ring for the same reasons. I could put at least 10 QB's in that spot and maybe go undefeated. No biggie.

jeg53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if he had decided back 10 years ago to play like this, instead of BrINTt Farve he could have won a couple more SBs, instead of running to the Vikings to try and polish his career off with one. Ironic isn't it.
:good:

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
OK, men, time to strap on a set (for those that don't pack 'em) and make the call if you believe Favre wins the MVP. Whether he's named CO-MVP or wins it outright is immaterial in this topic - he simply needs to be named.

I am all in - Brett Favre's name will be on the MVP for the 2009 season.

Anybody else have the stones to put yer so-called "reps" on the line???
1. Peyton
2. Rivers
3. Favre
4. Brees
5. Rodgers

That's my prediction. If I had a ballot i'd give serious consideration to Rivers. They're riding an 11 game winning streak and he's most of the reason.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Peyton
2. Rivers
3. Favre
4. Brees
5. Rodgers

That's my prediction. If I had a ballot i'd give serious consideration to Rivers. They're riding an 11 game winning streak and he's most of the reason.

I certainly cannot disagree with your logic on Rivers because he put up very nice numbers and his team won the division and secured a #2 seed.

However, I am going Favre because he put up better numbers, helped his team secure a #2 seed, and most importantly, I believe, is a more compelling sports story and since the voters are sports journalists, they help their careers by voting a guy in that will create more of a demand for their product. No matter what it is, money always ends up talking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
he is taking "less" risks than he did some times while with the Packers ...

because he is still able to make those passes (that alot of people predicted he wouldn't be able to).

that is all that needed to be said, because that is what I am referring to

I never ONCE said he cant make them..

I feel ( again this is my opinion) is that he is taking MUCH better care of the football...

I read a quote by him..Said something to the affect

that he now knows that there will be another set of downs, another drive to score..Where as in the past I would try to make something right away figuring we had no time to get another score

Again that isnt word-for-word but I think you get the jest of it?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly cannot disagree with your logic on Rivers because he put up very nice numbers and his team won the division and secured a #2 seed.

However, I am going Favre because he put up better numbers, helped his team secure a #2 seed, and most importantly, I believe, is a more compelling sports story and since the voters are sports journalists, they help their careers by voting a guy in that will create more of a demand for their product. No matter what it is, money always ends up talking.

But that is NOT most valuable to his team

If that were the case than HANDS DOWN he wins

Side note, didnt Peyton get his team a #1 seed?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever wins the MVP will be forgotten about come Super Bowl time.
That is, unless the winning MVP plays and wins in the Super Bowl.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't see how they could give the MVP to a QB who:
Lost to both SB teams
And lost to Da Bears, at Soldier, who had a record worse than the Queens.
Yes Burnt made a valiant effort. But not enough to win the game.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that is NOT most valuable to his team

If that were the case than HANDS DOWN he wins

Side note, didnt Peyton get his team a #1 seed?

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm merely pointing out what nobody wants to talk about.

There really isn't such a thing as an MVP in the NFL, but you go with what ya got and kinda base your guess off history.

Many are really itchin' to vote Brett MVP and all they ever need are decent numbers and a good record and seeding.

Manning could win, but nobody likes him because he's so damned grumpy. Just as many don't want to vote for Manning and are also looking for any reasonable excuse not to. I could see Favre-Manning MVP selections, also.

Take 2007, for instance when Brady won - Favre got the only other vote. This should tell us all something - people love Brett Favre - even the writers.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger - I'm merely pointing out what nobody wants to talk about.

There really isn't such a thing as an MVP in the NFL, but you go with what ya got and kinda base your guess off history.

Many are really itchin' to vote Brett MVP and all they ever need are decent numbers and a good record and seeding.

Manning could win, but nobody likes him because he's so damned grumpy. Just as many don't want to vote for Manning and are also looking for any reasonable excuse not to. I could see Favre-Manning MVP selections, also.

Take 2007, for instance when Brady won - Favre got the only other vote. This should tell us all something - people love Brett Favre - even the writers.

Once again, you've magically transferred your man-crush on the 4 to a nation of sportswriters who are now "itching" to vote for him. I wouldn't be so certain of their infatuation. I've read many opinions that, while acknowledging his good year, still consider the guy to be one of the leagues prima donnas, and they'd throw their vote in a heartbeat to the "grumpy" Peyton Manning if it means denying Favre any more face time with the camera. Hope you'll be okay if the popularity contest doesn't favor your man.

TheHeretic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally hate the man with a passion but I give credit where credit is due and Favre is having a damn good season. As much as I hate him I have to respect the fact that he is 40+ and still playing kick *** football. Other than that **** him he's a ********* and as far as MVP is concerned every websight I go to seems to think it's between Bree's and Manning.

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Peyton
2. Rivers
3. Favre
4. Brees
5. Rodgers

Id give it to rivers too, but Peyton most definitely locked it up this year. He's literally a ******** football robot with the ball in his hands and this year he has been so purely on point. Id probably put Brees ahead of Favre just because he's made it happen all year and Favre has been reeling. But who knows, that could just be the bias against Brent

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, you've magically transferred your man-crush on the 4 to a nation of sportswriters who are now "itching" to vote for him. I wouldn't be so certain of their infatuation. I've read many opinions that, while acknowledging his good year, still consider the guy to be one of the leagues prima donnas, and they'd throw their vote in a heartbeat to the "grumpy" Peyton Manning if it means denying Favre any more face time with the camera. Hope you'll be okay if the popularity contest doesn't favor your man.

god knows ill be ok with it. im in total agreement, a man crush and the fact that hes doing well and hes 40 years old doesnt justify that he has had a better season than Peyton or even Rivers or Brees. Ill admit he's done a good job but the others have worked their ways to the top with out having suffered defeat from mediocre teams like the bears and panthers while your fighting for a first round buy in the playoffs. Rivers is on one hell of a win streak and Peyton is just to brilliant to resist, Brees is debatable but could, in some circles have had a better season than Favre.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This reads a bit fishy, so not sure how accurate it really is ...(This supposed sampling of MVP voters shows an almost unanimous decision for Manning, when he actually led the Big Three in NOTHING other than team wins. Favre is first in fewest interceptions by a mile and Brees leads everything else.)

Manning separating himself from MVP pack | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Wait, your using stats again!!

context!!!!

Undefeated season, 5 straight come back wins, Manning pulled out they lose..

Context!

Members online

Latest posts