Defense: a year older but for better or worse?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The D was good at stopping teams from getting TDs but I think they gave up to many yards. They need to stop more drives sooner to help the O with shorter fields.

This would be accomplished if people like Nick Collins would hold on to the ******* ball when it lands right in his hands. This is one big reason I'm thinking Aaron Rouse will be starting by week 8. Takeaways end drives and put the ball in our hands. We need more takeaways.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main worry is on the corners, if injury/age hits either Harris or Woodson there will be a significant drop off. I also would like to see more quality depth behind Hawk and Barnett, if either were to go down - again significant drop off. I think the Safety position will look different than last year, but still can not decide if Rouse beats out Collins or Bigby. I know Bigby looked strong at the end of the year, but still seems to lack ball awareness and football smarts often times.

I also agree with an earlier post that Sanders needs to adjust his scheme to allow playmakers to shine and take some pressure off of the DL over the course of a long season(and hopefully post season).

In all, I am expecting no significant change from this unit and that would be OK with me.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanWithTwins said:
The D was good at stopping teams from getting TDs but I think they gave up to many yards. They need to stop more drives sooner to help the O with shorter fields.

This would be accomplished if people like Nick Collins would hold on to the ******* ball when it lands right in his hands. This is one big reason I'm thinking Aaron Rouse will be starting by week 8. Takeaways end drives and put the ball in our hands. We need more takeaways.

Yeah, Collins upset me a lot last year. He's still pretty damn good, but he let a lot of opportunities slip through his fingers(literally).

I love our Collins\Rouse\Bigby trio. 3 pretty good safeties, and only 2 spots. Let the games begin!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Collins upset me a lot last year. He's still pretty damn good, but he let a lot of opportunities slip through his fingers(literally).

I love our Collins\Rouse\Bigby trio. 3 pretty good safeties, and only 2 spots. Let the games begin!

Collins will make an excellent backup. Depth is of utmost importance, especially by week 13 or 14 and into the Playoffs. I don't mean to knock Collins too much. I just think Rouse is better, because takeaways change games around. Rouse seems to have a knack of being where the ball is thrown AND hanging on to it.

We've won games we should have lost because of takeaways and we've lost games we should have won because of turnovers.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanWithTwins said:

Why week 8? I think Rouse will unseat him in camp but why week 8 for you? Just curious I guess.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with Bertram here. Sanders has not shown much willingness or ability to adjust when the D is underperforming. And that REALLY ticks me off. We've got talent, but when it's being held back I want to yell. You might point to our D standing last year and say, "that's not bad at all." But that's not saying it couldn't be better. I expect our DL will improve with Jolly back and Harrell hopefully ready to contribute more.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders has not shown much willingness or ability to adjust when the D is underperforming. And that REALLY ticks me off.

You're not the only one it ticks off.

MM is going to have to step in and do something about it. You have to make adjustments against top tier teams.

We have the talent to win games easily against weak teams, to beat average teams by a safe margin, but against top tier teams, it's close. This is where it REALLY comes down to coaching. As much as I love MM and think he's a top 5 Coach, he's going to have to step in when our DC fails to make adjustments.

OP
OP
M

mckennj3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this year we'll get a chance to see how creative he can get bringing pressure, now that it looks like poppinga is going to be alot more situational to blitz. And with jolly back, the addition of Thompson, and harrel a full year of offseason, the D line (barring injury) should have the numbers to stay fresh all year (unlike last year) and really maintain the pressure we all know guys like kampman nd Kgb can bring. with that many talented bodies on the D line anything less then Great would be a disappointment.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Sanders has not shown much willingness or ability to adjust when the D is underperforming. And that REALLY ticks me off.

MM is going to have to step in and do something about it. You have to make adjustments against top tier teams.

We have the talent to win games easily against weak teams, to beat average teams by a safe margin, but against top tier teams, it's close. This is where it REALLY comes down to coaching. As much as I love MM and think he's a top 5 Coach, he's going to have to step in when our DC fails to make adjustments.

I find these posts funny because they do change things up.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we are better off moving guys around and bringing in fresh DL then we are getting away from our comfort zone which is no ZONE at all.

We suck at zone and the problem with a lot of packages is that is what you need to play. Our corners and safeties are three chapters away from being on the same page when trying to switch off.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
retiredgrampa said:

They didn't against the Giants. We may have been a defensive scheme change from winning that game. The defense failed to adjust to the Manning to Plaxico and gave Manning too much time.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zombieslayer said:
retiredgrampa said:

They didn't against the Giants. We may have been a defensive scheme change from winning that game. The defense failed to adjust to the Manning to Plaxico and gave Manning too much time.

Nah, McCarthy just had too much faith in Al Harris. McCarthy does that sometimes with veteran players. Sometimes it works out, sometimes I want to punch him in his face and take his daughter out on a date. What?

OP
OP
M

mckennj3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[/quote]Sometimes it works out, sometimes I want to punch him in his face and take his daughter out on a date. What?[/quote]

Absolutely priceless lol

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers have guys who can be effective blitzers... except for maybe the safeties Rouse and Bigby along with Poppinga--he used to be a DE.

As for the penalties you speak of, most of them came from Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Jarrett Bush, and Atari Bigby. They kept being called for pass interference.

OP
OP
M

mckennj3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the penalties you speak of, most of them came from Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Jarrett Bush, and Atari Bigby. They kept being called for pass interference.

See to me thats the wrong thing i wanted to hear, i was hoping they were more with the younger guys that can be coached. Although i do think CB is the toughest position on defense, Woodson and Harris are beyond their being coached years. So i guess a big upgrade with that particular problem might not be inevitable.

Did you find that information somewheres, or just from what you watched as the season went on? thanks either way

OP
OP
M

mckennj3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW I now that this thread is slowing down, i just wanted to thank every1 involved for making my first thread fairy busy.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts