Bishop gets new contract

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop gets cut next year during training camp. With injuries to Barnett and Chillar we're seeing AJ in more 3rd down situations because SOMEONE has to quarterback the defense, and for whatever reason Bishop can't, or isn't trusted to. AJ isn't a great 3rd down linebacker, and I'm saying this as someone who pushed for and could absolutely envision AJ in Green and Gold before he was drafted. Plus that performance Bishop had against Minnesota when Barnett went down with the ACL still scares the ever loving hell out of me that we'll see it again, and on a regular basis.

In a perfect world (For me) here is what happens. Barnett comes off injury next year and returns to his starting spot when healthy. GB drafts Auburn inside linebacker Josh Bynes, who is the QB of Auburn's defense (Their issues are in the secondary not front 7), and he becomes Barnett's understudy, learning everything he can as fast as he can because A. Barnett is what 32 by the time he comes back and B. Injury prone lately. So you move Bynes into the #2 backup inside linebacker position, the one Des Bishop holds at this time, and keep a hopefully healthy Chillar the primary backup at all 4 linebacker positions.

You'd see Bynes come in for Barnett occassionally (But as I said NOT the primary backup unless there are multiple injuries like this year) if Barnett needs a rest, or just to give him game situations.

In 2012, if Barnett still can play, he moves outside opposite Clay Matthews and Bynes inherits Barnett's inside linebacker position. I really think this would be the BEST scenario for GB's linebacking core.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Lambeau Lambo Barnett was a safety in college if I remember correct...or was projected to be a safety in the NFL by Kiper; can't remember off hand which it was now though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5987634"]Source: Green Bay Packers sign LB Desmond Bishop to extension - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5985658@@AMEPARAM@@5985658[/ame]

The Green Bay Packers signed linebacker Desmond Bishop to a four-year, $19 million contract extension, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop and Barnett as starters next season. Like Hawk, but we could use the money elsewhere (OL, Jenkins).

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be something the coaching staff will have to decide on next year. Bishop has played very well, plenty good enough to be a starter, and yet at the same time Hawk and Barnett and capable of being starters too. I don't think any of them are great, but they are all very solid.

Knowing TT I wouldn't be surprised if he dumps Barnett and keeps Hawk and Bishop, since they are younger. But were I in charge I would probably keep all three and use them all depending on the situation.

Alas, I like Barnett. The only good draft pick Mike Sherman ever had.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Hawk over Barnett on the sole reason of staying healthy lol.
That's not a LOL reason. That's an important reason.
Ted and Mike have talked about "availability" a lot. And then with this season, all the LBers going down.... Hawk's still out there and playing well.
Barnett, I love him, but 2 out of 3 years he's had a season-ending injury.

I know it's a lot of luck, bad luck, but some guys seem to have good durability (Favre, Emmitt, Marcus Allen, Manning), and some don't (Blackmon, Bigby, Barnett, Jenkins).

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got love Bishop. He's complained for two years for playing, got playing time and produced. I think he'll be a very good starting ILB next year.

You could kiss Hawk or Barnett gone with this signing. Barnett is due $6M next year and Hawk is due $10M next year.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Bishop's extension means we'll be cutting Hawk or Barnett. Could be we keep them all, especially if we can get Hawk to restructure his deal and roll that into an extension. BTW, I know Hawk hasn't put up HOF type numbers, but anyone who thinks he isn't very good is being woefully ignorant. The guy is a solid player, and has been consistently solid for years.

I also think the extension means Jenkins is gone. Yes, I *know* Jenkins is a DE and not a LB, but with Jolly presumably returning next season, and with the addition of Mike Neal, CJ Wilson and Howard Green, I think Jenkins will be traded or cut. I mean, it's not like we've missed him much these past 4 weeks. I'd love to keep him, but he can't really help us from the sidelines.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Barnett makes 8 mil, Chillar 4? Hawk at 10 now, Pop? Now Bishop 4-5 mill, Brad Jones, your talking about 20-30 mill just in LB?

How has the D been doing with out Barnett and Pop? One of those guys are gone

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett makes 8 mil, Chillar 4? Hawk at 10 now, Pop? Now Bishop 4-5 mill, Brad Jones, your talking about 20-30 mill just in LB?

How has the D been doing with out Barnett and Pop? One of those guys are gone

I don't think there is much of a question there. Popinga would go.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree. I am done with Hawk. I don't wanna see him in a Packer uni again. Stiffest hips I've ever seen on a LB. Whos contracts are up at the end of the year of our 3 ILBs?

Their were 88 posts to the Green Bay Press-Gazette on 1-5-2011 on just this topic,the majority of them disagree with you

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett can play OLB with the speed he has. With him and Matthews on the outside and Hawk and Bishop on the inside we'd have the best set of LBs in the league.

I don't see them letting Jenkins go over the idiot Jolly. But all of this comes down to money, unfortunately.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett can play OLB with the speed he has. With him and Matthews on the outside and Hawk and Bishop on the inside we'd have the best set of LBs in the league.

I don't see them letting Jenkins go over the idiot Jolly. But all of this comes down to money, unfortunately.

Speed isn't the problem. Its playing big against the run. I don't think he has it in him to play OLB in this system.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a bargain! Guarantee this guy could have made upwards of 30 mil had he walked. Shows that he's an unselfish player and that he really loves playing in Green Bay. Great to have you locked up, Desmond.

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We better not let Bishop go. I think he is our best ILB. IDC too much if they put Barnet and hawk as starters next year but once they realize they should have Bishop back in the line-up. He better still be on the team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts