Bart Starr "Good-Guy" Tid bit

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
In this part of Wisconsin, Bart Starr is well known, not only for being MVP in Super Bowls 1 & II, but he & his wife, Cherry, are also co-founders of Rawhide Boys Ranch in New London, WI (approximately 30 miles west of Green Bay). The ranch is designed to help teen boys who have made some bad choices get back on the right track. I have visited the ranch several times. It is funded primarily on donations, many in the form of old cars, trucks & boats. The boys learn to work on the donated vehicles while hopefully cleaning up their act. As long as I can remember, Bart Starr & his wife have been very active in the ranch & local fund raisiing. This may not seem like a huge accomplishment in his career but I happen to think it's pretty cool that he has kept some sort of strong roots to Wisconsin as well as helping others. He's truly an admirable man. IMO

Rawhide Boys Ranch - About the Starrs

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The Starrs have always been quality people who gave back to their community. Bart Starr is my all time favorite Packer and it is largely because of the things my parents used to say about him and what they said was as much about his charitable work as it was his on-field accomplishments. To this day, I think my mom's most prized possession is her autograph from Bart Starr.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A recent Starr event...

Janesville [WI] Parker High School Football Website: Bart Starr Visit To Monterey Stadium

Bart and his wife Cherry where honored at an event in my current city of residence, Janesville (Wisconsin), this past October 15th, 2010. The folks from this city honored and presented him with a plaque for throwing his first professional touchdown pass as a rookie at Monterey Stadium, during a pre-season Packer scrimmage game held there in 1956. The stadium is home field for Janesville's two public High School football teams - Craig and Parker. Another plaque presented was for Vince Lombardi's last public speech in Wisconsin as a Packer at the nearby former Janesville High School/Marshall Middle School in 1969. The crowd went crazy.

Earlier in the day Bart gave an inspirational and motivational speech to the Parker Viking High School football team, which proceeded to a lop sided victory in their homecoming game against Madison La Follette.

I am so proud Bart Starr is a Green Bay Packer! I always wear my # 15 Packer jersey whenever I go to Lambeau Field in his honor.

OP
OP
GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
A recent Starr event...

Janesville [WI] Parker High School Football Website: Bart Starr Visit To Monterey Stadium

Bart and his wife Cherry where honored at an event in my current city of residence, Janesville (Wisconsin), this past October 15th, 2010. The folks from this city honored and presented him with a plaque for throwing his first professional touchdown pass as a rookie at Monterey Stadium, during a pre-season Packer scrimmage game held there in 1956. The stadium is home field for Janesville's two public High School football teams - Craig and Parker. Another plaque presented was for Vince Lombardi's last public speech in Wisconsin as a Packer at the nearby former Janesville High School/Marshall Middle School in 1969. The crowd went crazy.

Earlier in the day Bart gave an inspirational and motivational speech to the Parker Viking High School football team, which proceeded to a lop sided victory in their homecoming game against Madison La Follette.

I am so proud Bart Starr is a Green Bay Packer! I always wear my # 15 Packer jersey whenever I go to Lambeau Field in his honor.

Nice. A super star on AND off the field. Refreshing to have a legand in our midst who isn't a self riteous diva. Just recieved a tweet from A-Rod congratulaing the Badgers on tonight's victory. I'll bet he will be true to our state after retirement too.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I know my car was going to go to rawhide before I read this, definitely going to send it after. It would fit in the ugly category.