Badger Volleyball 2023!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you follow Badger Volleyball, but this team is one to watch and be excited for.

They are still ranked #1 and are 17-0 and have won 27 straight sets! 27!! That is crazy.

Barring any major injuries, this team should make it into the final 4 and contend for another Championship!

This week will be a big test for the Badgers. Wednesday they face #22 OSU in Madison, they have already swept the Buckeyes in Columbus, so hoping they do the same. Circle your calendars for this Saturday, the Badgers head to Lincoln to take on the #2 ranked Cornhuskers at 7PM. I believe the Match will be on The Big10 Network. The Huskers are also 17-0, so this should be a really good Match!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you follow Badger Volleyball, but this team is one to watch and be excited for.

They are still ranked #1 and are 17-0 and have won 27 straight sets! 27!! That is crazy.

Barring any major injuries, this team should make it into the final 4 and contend for another Championship!

This week will be a big test for the Badgers. Wednesday they face #22 OSU in Madison, they have already swept the Buckeyes in Columbus, so hoping they do the same. Circle your calendars for this Saturday, the Badgers head to Lincoln to take on the #2 ranked Cornhuskers at 7PM. I believe the Match will be on The Big10 Network. The Huskers are also 17-0, so this should be a really good Match!
Most watch for other reasons?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, no matter why you like watching, they are a really solid team this year. They really scored 2 outstanding players in the Transfer Portal, Carter Booth and Temi Thomas Ailara. Those two along with Robinson, Franklin, Smrek, Orzol and Crawford really have this team playing well. Orzol was moved to Libero early in the season and it seems like a move that has payed off for the Badgers.

Nebraska is going to be a must see match and is on the Big10 Network Saturday night at 7. Honestly, if you told me I could only watch 1 event this weekend, Packers, Badger Football or Badger Volleyball....hands down, an easy pick, Volleyball.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ugggg.....tough loss, but a hard fought match by the top 2 teams in the country.

The tickets for the rematch in Madison between these 2 teams on Nov. 24th are already selling at $115+ . Tickets for last nights sold out match in Lincoln were going for $400. Love seeing this sport get the recognition it deserves!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have been traveling and just too busy to get on the forum the last 2 weeks. However, things are looking great for Badger Volleyball, Badger Hockey (both programs) and even Badger Men's Buckets.

It's a GREAT DAY to be a Badger Fan!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately I have a streaming service that gets me everything except some of the hockey games, and women's basketball. But, even when I can't watch them, I'm checking it out on the internet, and following the games.

Often, I have both a TV and my I-Pad going so I can watch two things at the same time.

You're right. It's a great time to be a Bucky fan. Mac is doing a great job as AD. He's getting the sports venues motivated.

As much as I like Alvarez, it was time for change. It couldn't have been a better choice, and if I recall correctly, he was Barry's suggestion as his replacement.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fortunately I have a streaming service that gets me everything except some of the hockey games, and women's basketball. But, even when I can't watch them, I'm checking it out on the internet, and following the games.

Often, I have both a TV and my I-Pad going so I can watch two things at the same time.

You're right. It's a great time to be a Bucky fan. Mac is doing a great job as AD. He's getting the sports venues motivated.

As much as I like Alvarez, it was time for change. It couldn't have been a better choice, and if I recall correctly, he was Barry's suggestion as his replacement.
Well said. I also think Barry had his eyes a bit too firmly on the Football Program and that may have cost some other programs. McIntosh coming in and saying goodbye to 2 Wisconsin Legends (Chryst and Granato) wasn't easy, but was the right move IMO. We are already seeing the Hockey team bare the fruits of a new coach. I think the Football team isn't that far behind, just a bigger purge of players.

I scored center court, 15th row tickets for the Badgers VS Penn State VB Match tonight, I am pumped. The Fieldhouse is going to be shaking!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. I also think Barry had his eyes a bit too firmly on the Football Program and that may have cost some other programs. McIntosh coming in and saying goodbye to 2 Wisconsin Legends (Chryst and Granato) wasn't easy, but was the right move IMO. We are already seeing the Hockey team bare the fruits of a new coach. I think the Football team isn't that far behind, just a bigger purge of players.

I scored center court, 15th row tickets for the Badgers VS Penn State VB Match tonight, I am pumped. The Fieldhouse is going to be shaking!
Wow! Nice seats! I'd love to be there tonight. I have a hunch the Badgers are going to exact their revenge on PSU just like they did Nebraska, when they hit Madison.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Enjoy

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Badgers came out on fire! The second set let down wasn't a let down as much as a game where the adrenalin flow from the first set had ended, and they were bound to level off for a period of time. Even then, they did not play badly.

Taking down PSU in 4 was a major win. Now it's one more win and they can join the Final 4 again. Sheffield and his staff has done a tremendous job with the team. I heard last night, during the broadcast, that he's been with the program 11 yeas and all 11 years he's brought them to the round of 16. That's amazing! He's so low key on the court, and never seems to be flustered. I have my fingers crossed, because they could win the whole shebang this year!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was a fun match to be at last night. The Fieldhouse was electric and the team really dominated PSU. In that second set, the Badgers ran out of substitutions towards the end and it really cost them the set. When you start seeing Front line players serving and playing back row, you know you are in trouble.

I watched some of the Oregon and Purdue match live and then went home and finished it. Oregon is going to be really tough tomorrow night. That said, every team the Badgers face from hear on out is going to be good. Texas might be their next opponent, if they get by Oregon. Holy Crap! Madisen Skinner is REALLY good!

Go Bucky!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was a fun match to be at last night. The Fieldhouse was electric and the team really dominated PSU. In that second set, the Badgers ran out of substitutions towards the end and it really cost them the set. When you start seeing Front line players serving and playing back row, you know you are in trouble.

I watched some of the Oregon and Purdue match live and then went home and finished it. Oregon is going to be really tough tomorrow night. That said, every team the Badgers face from hear on out is going to be good. Texas might be their next opponent, if they get by Oregon. Holy Crap! Madisen Skinner is REALLY good!

Go Bucky!
I thought you'd at least have brought a sign in and held it up to say hello to me! I didn't see one! ;)

That had to be fantastic being there. The crowd was really into it. That second set had me tearing my hair out! Wow! I can't remember which Badger it was, but her attempt to keep a ball alive with her foot was amazing. She came within a couple of inches of getting it up and back in play. It was kind of indicative as to how hard both teams were working out there.

#17 Zoe Weatherington, on PSU is one heckuva player. It's too bad she's graduating. She's special. She gave the Badgers fits at times last night.

Oregon is going to be tough, no doubt about it. Having home court advantage might well be the difference in this one.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't remember which Badger it was, but her attempt to keep a ball alive with her foot was amazing.
That was Julia Orzo.

I honestly think she should get the teams most improved player of the year award and Sheffield was a genius in switching her from outside hitter to the Libero position. Julia was an adequate outside hitter, but she lacks in height and that was costing the Badgers some points. Her play at Libero has just been outstanding. She hustles around the court and took too the new position really quickly. When Smreck was out with a concussion, they put Julia back to OH and Gigi back to Libero, well, they lost consecutive matches to PSU and Purdue when that happened. Tells you just how valuable Julia (and Smreck) are.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both are amazingly good, no doubt about it. There are so many of them out there that can make plays. Sarah Franklin is amazing. Her battle to even play volleyball again is a story unto itself. You can see it in her eyes, and the smile on her face. She's just happy being able to do what she is. She has to be an inspiration to all of them. I believe she's in her last year of eligibility. I wish she had another year. She's a treat to watch out there.

I like Sheffield's coaching style. He's not a one-man show. During time outs, and on the sidelines, I see her assistants coaching up players all the time. he understands each one of them has their job, and he lets them do it. That, to me, is what a head coach is all about. If you don't trust your assistants, you need to replace them.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Both are amazingly good, no doubt about it. There are so many of them out there that can make plays. Sarah Franklin is amazing. Her battle to even play volleyball again is a story unto itself. You can see it in her eyes, and the smile on her face. She's just happy being able to do what she is. She has to be an inspiration to all of them. I believe she's in her last year of eligibility. I wish she had another year. She's a treat to watch out there.

I like Sheffield's coaching style. He's not a one-man show. During time outs, and on the sidelines, I see her assistants coaching up players all the time. he understands each one of them has their job, and he lets them do it. That, to me, is what a head coach is all about. If you don't trust your assistants, you need to replace them.
No doubt that Franklin is the best player on the team, she can play any position and does it at a high level. The good news, she actually has one more year of eligibility and has said she plans on coming back. Booth was a huge pick-up in the transfer portal. Her game and chemistry with her teammates has finally blossomed. Look for her tonight to have a big impact on a smaller but quick Oregon team.

I agree with you on Sheffield. He is a guy that knows how to make adjustments along the way. He is also very well respected in the Sport. That helps with recruiting, coaching, transfers and I think even a bit with the refs. Interesting fact, Sheffield never played competitive Volleyball. He makes up for it with more than 30 years of an arguably more valuable perspective.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt that Franklin is the best player on the team, she can play any position and does it at a high level. The good news, she actually has one more year of eligibility and has said she plans on coming back. Booth was a huge pick-up in the transfer portal. Her game and chemistry with her teammates has finally blossomed. Look for her tonight to have a big impact on a smaller but quick Oregon team.

I agree with you on Sheffield. He is a guy that knows how to make adjustments along the way. He is also very well respected in the Sport. That helps with recruiting, coaching, transfers and I think even a bit with the refs. Interesting fact, Sheffield never played competitive Volleyball. He makes up for it with more than 30 years of an arguably more valuable perspective.
I said "her" in regards to Sheffield. I did mean "him." Doh! You're right on Booth. She's a quiet assassin out there when she gets her shots. A journeyman type player who has the skills to step up as needed.

As I look across that entire lineup, I don't see anyone who is a weak link. Even more important, I see a team that's built on complementary skill sets, so everyone who's out there knows how to play their part. The Orzo situation, moving to libero is a prime example. The right person fitting into the right spot. As soon as they could take her off the front line, she stepped up, and has been remarkable.

Six years ago, if you'd have told me that I would be an avid volleyball fan, and bother to watch a game, I would have laughed at you, and said it was never gonna happen. Today, I'm waiting on today's match on pins and needles. I'm hooked!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Six years ago, if you'd have told me that I would be an avid volleyball fan, and bother to watch a game, I would have laughed at you, and said it was never gonna happen. Today, I'm waiting on today's match on pins and needles. I'm hooked!
I still get the eye rolls and looks of confusion from some when I mention my enthusiasm for Badger Volleyball. A few years ago I realized that it wasn't just because it was the Badgers, when I found myself watching a Match between two teams I could care less about as far as who won or lost. I think I like Volleyball, for a couple of reasons. First, the women are just so damn happy and energetic, its contagious. Second, almost every point is entertaining, as well as feeling important. Yet, when your team loses a set, as long as it wasn't the 3rd set lost, they are still in the game. The final reason, I'm getting really tired of following Sports that are so tied to players, owners and others making ungodly sums of money, that it is a refreshing change to watch people just having fun, in an entertaining sport.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Off to the Final Four. Good luck to the Lady Badgers -- even though luck really has little to do with it, a few beneficial bounces never hurt.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting fact. Oregon head coach Ulmer's Mother was a basketball coach at Carthage College, between Racine and Kenosha. He played volleyball for Carthage and was an All-American from there. So, they have roots in that area. I did not know that. An interesting fact. Years ago, I had a friend that coached with me who was an assistant football coach for Carthage. A pretty decent defensive mind. Was a disciplinarian with his players. They played under control for him, because of how he taught the game. I enjoyed working with him.

The Badgers are better than Oregon. They proved it. The Oregon player that gave us the most fits was Pukis. I can't believe how often she caught the Badgers defense napping, from the middle. They are fast, but in the end, the Badgers height gave them an edge.

Personally, I believe the Badgers can win this whole thing this year. I think, in a rematch against Nebraska, which I see very possible, the Badgers will take the neutral court win. They're about even as far as talent goes, but the height edge goes to the Badgers, and that's where the difference will show up. They sky far enough to be a little more effective blockers.

What's really scary is that Nebraska doesn't have one player who will be graduating, and leaving the program after this year. They're all coming back in 2024. They're going to be even tougher. But, I think the Badgers will be even better too. So, it's going to be another interesting year when 2024 rolls around.

Two more wins, and it's a national championship. That trophy will look good in their trophy case. Now they just gotta get it. Those banners look nice in the rafters.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was a really fun match to watch last night. As one of the announcers said "so many highlight reel points." That little ****/dump shot by Pukis was driving me nuts, very effective against a tall slower team. That Oregon team that the Badgers beat was dominated by Seniors, which made it an even more impressive victory for Bucky.

My favorite point of the night was in the third set. Go to the 15:00 mark in the video below.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. That was a real highlight reel play. Even more, getting that point was the turning point in the set. The Badgers picked up their game and totally dominated. Watch the 26th minute in the clip. That's where Orzo made the play off the sideline. It ended the match as far as I was concerned. Oregon was not coming back after that. Wisconsin owned them!