Al harris NOT holding out!! YAY!

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the deal with GB players? MM, Walker, Harris, Sharper, Longwell, etc all seem to feel underpaid in GB? From an outsiders vantage point, not renegotiating a young, stud lineman in Wahle's contract seemed odd. Meanwhile Brett is making 12 or 13% of your total cap allowance for this season? I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm trying to figure out why guys aren't happy to play in the Green and Gold for good money. Many want to scream about making more than market value to stay.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I don't think we really had the cap room to resign him and you guys made him like the richest interior lineman and probably overpaid

Very true, we did not have the cash althoug some amatuers feel the Packers did and Ted chose to let them go. RRRRRRIGGGHT that almost makes sense.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:
I don't think we really had the cap room to resign him and you guys made him like the richest interior lineman and probably overpaid

Very true, we did not have the cash althoug some amatuers feel the Packers did and Ted chose to let them go. RRRRRRIGGGHT that almost makes sense.

That is not completely accurate. I do feel like TT should have opened the wallet to Wahle. I realize we were up against it cap wise but moves could have been made or not made that could have freed up cap space.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:

That is not completely accurate. I do feel like TT should have opened the wallet to Wahle. I realize we were up against it cap wise but moves could have been made or not made that could have freed up cap space.

Compare what we had available and the contract Wahle got. Then come tell me its not accurate. I know I'm not perfect, but I did research it because I was quite pissed off we let BOTH of them go without keeping atleast one.

If memory serves me correctly we had just around 2million to spare and his bonus was far greater than that as was his first year salary. Speaking about Wahle. The bonus Rivera got even though I think he's a good OL was way over priced. I'm hapy for him though. He got some cash.
If you can't find the information, let me know. I'll see if I can dig it up too.

Personally, I really wish we would have kept Wahle. I really liked him. But since living on my own I understand sometimes you simply can not afford what you want and have to make do with what you can get.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way could TT afford either Wahle or Rivera. Rivera was way overpaid by Dallas..good for him, he got his dough...

As far as Wahle, the Panthers gave him a huge contract and the Packers were not even in the running for the most part.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Wahle Contract with Panthers...

This is not a good sign...
JSonline.com said:
Green Bay It came as somewhat of a surprise to guard Mike Wahle that the Green Bay Packers did not attempt to keep him under the terms of the remaining three years of his contract, but he said the hiring of general manager Ted Thompson in January changed everything.

JSonline.com said:
Instead of paying Wahle a $6 million roster bonus in March and base salaries of $5 million this year, $1.5 million in '06 and $1.0 million in '07, the Packers released him. After they did, they attempted to lure him back, but they stopped well short of the five- year, $27 million contract he received from the Carolina Panthers, which included $11.5 million in bonuses over the first year.

I'm not exact on the number the Packers had available, but I can promise it was not $11.5 million. Since it was bonus's though I'm sure some of it was pro rated over several years.

Here's the rest of the article...
JSonline.com said:
Wahle, whose new team is preparing for a game against his old team Monday night in Charlotte, said Wednesday that if coach Mike Sherman were still the general manager he probably would still be with the Packers.

"To be honest with you at the beginning of the off-season I was under the impression that they were just going to extend that contract that I was on," Wahle said. "Before Ted came in I was getting the idea from Sherman and those guys that that's pretty much what was going to happen. I was going to keep playing there.

I'm not sure what else you need to know now, but I'm sure you're gonna still say it's Ted's fault Wahle left and honestly, Wahle believes the same thing.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:

Compare what we had available and the contract Wahle got. Then come tell me its not accurate. I know I'm not perfect, but I did reasearch it because I was quite pissed off we let BOTH of them go without keeping atleast one.

If memory serves me correctly we had just around 2million to spare and his bonus was far greater than that as was his first year salary. Speaking about Wahle. The bonus Rivera got even though I think he's a good OL was way over priced. I'm hapy for him though. He got some cash.
If you can't find the information, let me know. I'll see if I can dig it up too.

Personally, I really wish we would have kept Wahle. I really liked him. But since living on my own I understand sometimes you simply can not afford what you want and have to make do with what you can get.

GREAT point Zero!!! :wink:

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cut him. You had the room to negotiate a new contract. He wasn't paid the "richest" interior lineman money, but did get money equivalent to the average of the top 5 or so guards in the league. Which, well, he is. It's all market value.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pantherd said:
You cut him. You had the room to negotiate a new contract. He wasn't paid the "richest" interior lineman money, but did get money equivalent to the average of the top 5 or so guards in the league. Which, well, he is. It's all market value.

Where are your sources? He was the highest paid when he signed his Panthers contract, per JSOnline.com.

I want you to show me the numbers proving the Packers could have kept Wahle. If you can't provide them, retract your false statement. This is an argument that has been held many times and each time the player saying the Packers could have kept Wahle has been proven wrong. You wanna play? Show your facts!

If you can prove the facts I will gladly admit my stupidity and apologize for my arrogance and e-slap Ted Thompson in the family jewels for NOT keeping Wahle. I'm not sure having Wahle would have given us any more W's seeing as we had THE best OL in the NFL and couldn't do squat with it, but show me the facts regardless.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT could easily have kept Wahle if he had wanted to. He could have redone some contracts moving cap dollars from last year into this year when they had somewhere around $35 million in cap space available.

TT did not want to pay Wahle big bucks and we're seeing the results of that decision.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Lare said:
TT could easily have kept Wahle if he had wanted to. He could have redone some contracts moving cap dollars from last year into this year when they had somewhere around $35 million in cap space available.

TT did not want to pay Wahle big bucks and we're seeing the results of that decision.

You wanna play the game too? Show me the facts and provide sources. I wanna be proven wrong!! Prove me wrong, prove my 'facts' and sources incorrect. Let's get the truth out there if its not already.

Yea we saw the results of not having Wahle. If we would have had him, those damn Steelers wouldn't be holding OUR trophy. Right? Give me a break. DO I want him in GB? Hell yea, but stop acting like he's the missing link.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Who's contract would he have redone?

Probably the bigger question..

Who would of taken a pay cut.

GB was in a cap mess from Sherman who signed guys like KGB, Ferguson, Joe Johnson, Cledius Hunt to high contracts. TT would have to ask players to take less money so we can give it to Mike Wahle. No wonder why we have so many holdouts.

We didn't have the money for Wahle. We offered him a contract and Carolina offered a bigger contract, one we couldn't afford. They're wasn't anything TT could've done but hope Wahle would've taken less money. I don't blame Wahle for signing for big bucks, nor do I blame TT for not asking 4 or 5 guys to take pay cuts which probably wouldn't of happened anyways. Usually only veterens take pay cuts and Brett Favre has taken more than enough pay cuts in the past.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Ted Thompson also could of thrown some pixie dust on former Hall of Famer Packers and they would of turned young again and played for the packers again for free.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been discussed before. TT could have signed Wahle if he wanted to. There was enough cap space available. Note the last paragraph of the article:

Neil Cornrich
NC Sports, LLC

Friday, March 04, 2005
Panthers go deep to sign key pair

Free agents Wahle, Lucas get bonuses of almost $25 million

PAT YASINSKAS
Staff Writer

March 4, 2005

The Carolina Panthers, a team known for staying in shallow free-agent waters in recent years, took a huge plunge Thursday.

With the lure of about $23 million in bonus money, the Panthers landed two elite free agents: Offensive lineman Mike Wahle from Green Bay and cornerback Ken Lucas from Seattle. After not getting a single starter in last year's free-agency period, the Panthers got two on the second day players were allowed to sign with other teams.

"We don't get at this end of the pool a lot," general manager Marty Hurney said.

"But we just felt like the opportunity was right for both these guys as far as being good fits and being our kind of people as well as very good players. We hope they're two guys that will be here for a long time at very important positions for us."

Consider the moves a sign the Panthers believe they're a lot closer to being the Super Bowl team they were in 2003, than the 7-9 squad last season. Although the arrival of Lucas and Wahle might seem a departure from the team's practice of acquiring core players in the college draft, both players are young and fill major areas of needs.

Wahle, who turns 28 this month, signed a five-year deal worth up to $28 million that includes $11.5 million in bonus money split between this year and next. His cap figure for this year will be $2.7 million.

At the time The Packers were around 3 million under the cap. The contract would have had to be different, most of the bonus money would have had to been guaranteed the second year, but it could have been done.

TT ended up spending most of the cap money he had available on second tier players trying to fill the holes left by Rivera and Wahle leaving, it didn't work out last year but now we have money to spend and some young guys who are showing potential so maybe in the long run The Pack will be better off.
Nobody kniows which player is going to work out and which pl;ayer isn't, that is why GM's get hired and fired so often, the ones who get lucky and make the right moves look like geniuses, the others get fired and move on.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
This has been discussed before. TT could have signed Wahle if he wanted to. There was enough cap space available. Note the last paragraph of the article:

Neil Cornrich
NC Sports, LLC

Friday, March 04, 2005
Panthers go deep to sign key pair

Free agents Wahle, Lucas get bonuses of almost $25 million

PAT YASINSKAS
Staff Writer

March 4, 2005

The Carolina Panthers, a team known for staying in shallow free-agent waters in recent years, took a huge plunge Thursday.

With the lure of about $23 million in bonus money, the Panthers landed two elite free agents: Offensive lineman Mike Wahle from Green Bay and cornerback Ken Lucas from Seattle. After not getting a single starter in last year's free-agency period, the Panthers got two on the second day players were allowed to sign with other teams.

"We don't get at this end of the pool a lot," general manager Marty Hurney said.

"But we just felt like the opportunity was right for both these guys as far as being good fits and being our kind of people as well as very good players. We hope they're two guys that will be here for a long time at very important positions for us."

Consider the moves a sign the Panthers believe they're a lot closer to being the Super Bowl team they were in 2003, than the 7-9 squad last season. Although the arrival of Lucas and Wahle might seem a departure from the team's practice of acquiring core players in the college draft, both players are young and fill major areas of needs.

Wahle, who turns 28 this month, signed a five-year deal worth up to $28 million that includes $11.5 million in bonus money split between this year and next. His cap figure for this year will be $2.7 million.

At the time The Packers were around 3 million under the cap. The contract would have had to be different, most of the bonus money would have had to been guaranteed the second year, but it could have been done.

TT ended up spending most of the cap money he had available on second tier players trying to fill the holes left by Rivera and Wahle leaving, it didn't work out last year but now we have money to spend and some young guys who are showing potential so maybe in the long run The Pack will be better off.
Nobody kniows which player is going to work out and which pl;ayer isn't, that is why GM's get hired and fired so often, the ones who get lucky and make the right moves look like geniuses, the others get fired and move on.

Thats exactly correct! I could name quite a few moves that we could have made to free up space including NOT RESIGNING DAVID MARTIN!

It could have been done, period! Thier are dozens of scenarios that would have allowed Wahle to remain a Packer. TT chose to go a different direction.

I do blame TT for this. He let Wahle walk without any real plan on how to replace him. Now we will pay the consequences.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Wait, the Packers didn't have 3 million they had just under million.

ARGH, I wish I was THERE so I knew the exact details!!! lol

Ted's plan to replace them was shotty at best. I mean two oft injured players to replace to stud OL? I jus didn't understand that. OL needs durability.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson would have had to do a lot to keep him. In fact Wahle was offered a contract by the Packers but it wasn‘t as much as Carolina. So Thompson did try to keep Wahle. A contract was offered but we didn‘t have the money to compete with a team like Carolina.

Green Bay had 3 (assuming that is correct, I believe it may have been less) million in cap space. Wahle wanted a lot of guaranteed money. GB didn't have that. We could of cut other players. Okay cut them and take a cap hit for the future. They're was too many things that Green Bay would of had to do in order to keep Wahle. Wahle was cut to avoid paying a 12.5 million dollar roster bonus. Why didn't we have the money to pay him? Joe Johnson, Cledius Hunt, KGB, and Robert Ferguson. That is why.

Did Ted Thompson take part in signing any of the above guys I named. No he didn't. Thompson inherited a mess and had to fix it. Losing Wahle hurts and retaining him would of been great but you don't retain him and sacrifice the future of the Packers. That's exactly what would of happened. Last year Wahle wouldn't of won GB any more games than they did. The team lost because of poor coaching by the entire staff and mostly because of injuries. The team didn't lose because of not resigning Mike Wahle who we didn't have the money for. The teams future is now tied to Aaron Rodgers. The team had money this year to spend on help and we bulked up the defense which we need. We drafted key players with potential and we’ll have a lot of money to spend next year on free agents. Green Bay is bringing in guys to help them now but is also bringing in players that’ll help the future of the organization. Next year we’ll have money and we might be able to use it too give Aaron Rodgers something too work with. Then the core of Ted Thompson’s team will be set. 2-3 years down the road is how this team will be judged under Ted Thompson. Right now it’s still 50-50. Thompson and Sherman players.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pantherd said:

Where are your sources? He was the highest paid when he signed his Panthers contract, per JSOnline.com.

I want you to show me the numbers proving the Packers could have kept Wahle. If you can't provide them, retract your false statement. This is an argument that has been held many times and each time the player saying the Packers could have kept Wahle has been proven wrong. You wanna play? Show your facts!

If you can prove the facts I will gladly admit my stupidity and apologize for my arrogance and e-slap Ted Thompson in the family jewels for NOT keeping Wahle. I'm not sure having Wahle would have given us any more W's seeing as we had THE best OL in the NFL and couldn't do squat with it, but show me the facts regardless.

proof: http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football ... aspx?pos=1

You have to search each position and look at cap figures. I've saved you the time:

RB
Car - $5,589,280
GB - $7,433,067

FB
Car - $1,750,000
GB - $1,693,820

QB
Car - $4,538,843
GB - $11,943,733

WR
Car - $7,102,528
GB - $6,985,255

TE
Car - $1,825,819
GB - $3,096,210

OT
Car - $5,457,928
GB - $6,783,001

OG
Car - $4,234,919
GB - $2,401,100

C
Car - $5,584,330
GB - $2,942,710

K
Car - $1,805,280
GB - $1,901,210

P
Car - $482,640
GB - $450,906

LS
Car - $746,760
GB - $476,160

DE
Car - $11,621,886
GB - $5,922,058

DT
Car - $5,609,657
GB - $2,167,150

OLB
Car - $3,992,193
GB - $5,101,356

MLB
Car - $3,592,705
GB - $1,161,946

CB
Car - $5,420,929
GB - $5,315,024

FS
Car - $4811,150
GB - $691,765

SS
Car - $2,059,240
GB - $1,671,240

TOTALS
Car - $76,226,087
GB - $68,137,711

Granted there are some dead money figures not included here, but with the cap ~ $85M, you were well under the cap figure and could have retained both Rivera AND Wahle! Therefore, I will not retract any of my true statements, but you're certainly welcome to "admit (your) stupidity and apologize for (your) arrogance and e-slap Ted Thompson in the family jewels" as you suggested.

Wahle's cap figure was $2.7M last season... you had that much room with no other changes. You certainly could've created that sort of room by cutting a veteran with diminishing skills in favor of the young stud lineman.

Finally, Wahle's cap figure was 12th in the league... not number one. His base salary was low on the todem pole as well. You must be referring to his total salary for last season which ranked second behind Rivera no less. Really who cares what these guys make as long as your cap is in line and your future of your cap is protected. That's the balancing act and bottom line. Wahle's wasn't the richest by any means.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol@stupid
lol@arrogant

You made me laugh with those!

I do question this, why would Wahle, his agent and Andrew Brandt say(on the fan with Chris Havel) the Packers did not have the cap room for Wahle, but yet you think you know more than they do? Was their a conspiracy that you found and are now ready to exploit publicly? Do tell, do tell!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts