A Jordan Love Contract

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether it be "sophomore slump" or season ending injury there are reasons to NOT extend Love this offseason but wait until mid-'24 season to "be sure". Jerry Jones is already considering extending Prescott (to avoid him being FA after '24) and making him highest paid player between $55-$60mil/yr. Also due new deals are Cousins & Tua, & Lawrence playing on his 5th yr option, so may be nutty next 6 months.

Waiting has merits, but so does extending Love before the ceiling goes up $5+mil/yr.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And for the love of God, can we all remember he is a human being and not place him on such a pedestal as to deify him?

No matter how good he gets:

1. He is not more important than the team.
2. His opinions are not all that matters
3. He is not the GM or the coach
4. He is not perfect

Come on everyone - let's not mess this one up like the last two!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you wait until the middle of next season to extend Love and he's playing like he did the second half of 2023, then he is going to make crazy money and may be the highest paid player in the NFL. If you sign him this off-season to money where he is in the top 10-12 qb's in the league, the price may be 8 to 10 million less than the top salary per season. Perhaps in the 40-45 million per year range. Those "savings" can get you a decent starter in the free agent market or be used to extend other players when they want big bucks. Even if he has a sophomore slump, I don't see his floor going below 40 million per year if you want him long term.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you wait until the middle of next season to extend Love and he's playing like he did the second half of 2023, then he is going to make crazy money and may be the highest paid player in the NFL. If you sign him this off-season to money where he is in the top 10-12 qb's in the league, the price may be 8 to 10 million less than the top salary per season. Perhaps in the 40-45 million per year range. Those "savings" can get you a decent starter in the free agent market or be used to extend other players when they want big bucks. Even if he has a sophomore slump, I don't see his floor going below 40 million per year if you want him long term.
I don't think they can even talk to Love until May. The league requires a minimum one-year "buffer period" between the signing or revision of a contract and a proposed revision or new contract.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
(Edit) Love is the first Packer to win consecutive Player of the Week since Don Beebe in 1996

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think they should wait til next year to sign him. He played one year.. yeah it’s gonna cost more in the long run but if he is the guy then so be it. Don’t penny pinch to save a few million in case he isn’t FOR exactly what happened with Daniel jones. I think there is a lot to be excited for but I think you should wait til next year and make sure.. it wasn’t a fluke I look at play. stats don’t matter all that much in evaluating imo he definitely earned the right to start next year and is better than a lot of scrubs in the league but I still think you wait. Plus they will have a ton of cap space 2025 anyway. I know this is Probly an unpopular opinion but I’m not 100 percent sold on him just yet. Deep playoff run then maybe I’ll change my mind

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether it be "sophomore slump" or season ending injury there are reasons to NOT extend Love this offseason but wait until mid-'24 season to "be sure". Jerry Jones is already considering extending Prescott (to avoid him being FA after '24) and making him highest paid player between $55-$60mil/yr. Also due new deals are Cousins & Tua, & Lawrence playing on his 5th yr option, so may be nutty next 6 months.

Waiting has merits, but so does extending Love before the ceiling goes up $5+mil/yr.
Cousins?? ROTFLMAO

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unsure of the numbers regarding potential annual contract and/or signing bonus. But both sides should work out a deal. He has earned it. Hopefully the Green Bay organization and general fan base will go off the facts and not feelings.

Reaction score

Exactly. That’s the timing thing. Trying to find the balance of gambling with a $40Mil yearly early on OR waiting and potentially paying him $50-55mil average.
I’d offer that Love isn’t going anywhere. He’s our guy and I doubt he squabbles over anything inside $5m offset yearly. The devil is in the details and often guaranteed or term becomes a major factor.

Love is under contract through 2024 regardless, I’d rather wait until next season and get a better look and have to pay him $50 yearly vs $40m yearly and knowing he’s worth $50. We don’t need a Bakhtiari repeat.

My thing would be to Wait a little longer and get the benefit of the $23 million next season and pay the man if we’re leaning playoff bound mid season. Just go a little longer (such as 5X$250mil extension through that 2025-2009 area. That sounds expensive but it will be a relative deal by 2027 area.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With QBs I believe if GUTE knows Love is the future, you sign him as soon as you can to an extension. QB contracts grow faster and higher than any other position. Now if there is even an ounce of doubt that Love isn't the future then you tell him let's play out 2024 and discuss.

Reaction score
With QBs I believe if GUTE knows Love is the future, you sign him as soon as you can to an extension. QB contracts grow faster and higher than any other position. Now if there is even an ounce of doubt that Love isn't the future then you tell him let's play out 2024 and discuss.
They (FO) very well might get impatient again.
That said, We took that approach with Bak and it arguably cost us a SB. WE are still suffering as of this moment. Matter of fact we’ll lose another $20mil next year. Can you imagine the player(s) we could’ve had gotten for $20-25mil yearly since 2021. Likely cost us several NFC games and arguably a SB visit at minimum.
I highly doubt the AVERAGE high end market changes that drastic between March of 2024 and October 2024. I’d be shocked if it varied more than 3-$5mil annually. What will cost much more than $4mil on QB salary is being impatient. IF Jordan regressed it could just as easily save is $4m annual (Or more) going the opposite way.

I don’t really care either way. Just finding a Top 10 QB is hard enough so I don’t think $5mil annual is going to ruin us. Guys n gals, We’ve got a good problem as we could be DA BEARS!

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t really care either way. Just finding a Top 10 QB is hard enough so I don’t think $5mil annual is going to ruin us. We’ve got a good problem as we could be DA BEARS!
Good point about getting stuck with a multi-year albatross of a contract. Just fyi on QB contract ceiling (I know you mentioned Average salary):
2019 -Wilson's deal was $35mil APY
2020 - Mahomes' was $45mil APY
2021 - J. Allen's $43mil APY
2022 - Rodgers' $50.2mil
2033 - Burrow's $55mil.

Reaction score
Good point about getting stuck with a multi-year albatross of a contract. Just fyi on QB contract ceiling (I know you mentioned Average salary):
2019 -Wilson's deal was $35mil APY
2020 - Mahomes' was $45mil APY
2021 - J. Allen's $43mil APY
2022 - Rodgers' $50.2mil
2033 - Burrow's $55mil.
There ya go.. $20mil Position ceiling spanned 4 years. ($5m per year)
I don’t think it’s worth the risk to sign a player too early. Just imo

So you save $5mil area max. But if Jordan regressed as someone else pointed out (Sophomore slump). You might just as easily get him for $5mil+ cheaper also.
For me personally, Just not enough of a savings to justify me going out of the way too early.

Now the one exception? He takes us to the promise land like a young Mahomes. Then hit him with a 7X$400mil $250mil guaranteed) I’m not opposed to paying for results at all.

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There ya go.. $20mil Position ceiling spanned 4 years. ($5m per year)
I don’t think it’s worth the risk to sign a player too early. Just imo

So you save $5mil area max. But if Jordan regressed as someone else pointed out (Sophomore slump). You might just as easily get him for $5mil+ cheaper also.
For me personally, Just not enough of a savings to justify me going out of the way too early.

Now the one exception? He takes us to the promise land like a young Mahomes. Then hit him with a 7X$400mil $250mil guaranteed) I’m not opposed to paying for results at all.
I essentially said the same thing if he does play good next year then who cares pay the premium for him

Reaction score
I'll pump the brakes a bit. The sophomore slump is a real thing. Love may be immune since he's technically not a freshman this year. Then you've got situations like Jalen Hurts, who looked phenomenal last year and then struggled in the second half of 2023.

Love looks like the guy, but we should all realize that we are basing contract talks on only one season of tape. Anything can happen.
I agree, but also let's not give the team checkbook to Love that it prevents us from signing better
players down the road like it happens so offend in the past.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, but also let's not give the team checkbook to Love that it prevents us from signing better
players down the road like it happens so offend in the past.

Honestly, one of the best arguments to signing LOVE as soon as you can is the fact impending "potentially big" contracts will need discussed in a couple years. Doing Love quicker allows some of his contract to be chewed away before the likes of Watson/Doubs/Tom/Rasheed Walker decisions begin to loom big...Next year Clark, Jones, Love, McDuffie and Slaton all the arguably notable guys in contract years.

Getting Love taken care of sooner rather than later might arguably be the way NOT to hamstring you in future discussions as much while money is "cheap" relatively speaking since we have so many rookie contracts.

Members online

No members online now.