3rd and Long...run?

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question for those of you that may have a higher football IQ - yesterday McCarthy called a run on a 3rd and long (14, i believe?), and of course we didn't get anywhere near the first down. I feel like I see that play call a lot with this team, and was wondering if anyone has any idea what the reasoning behind this is. Is it because it's 3rd and long and they just don't want to lose any more yardage to set up for a better punt? If so, I can't say I agree with that defeatist logic in a playoff game when you have the league's best arm behind center. Could it be for another reason? Do all teams do this, and I am just more sensitive to this because I'm a Packer fan and haven't paid attention to others? Just wondering if this is part of some established "norm" in football strategy that I am just unaware of.

OP
OP
BigBayBlues

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that one kindof felt like a "we give up" drive.

Yea, same feeling I got...and the same feeling I've gotten every time I've seen McCarthy call that. Do you guys think that's really it, though? I have trouble/don't want to believe that the team is actually just giving up on the drive...in the playoffs, nonetheless!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The hand off to Cobb at about the 3 yard line when Lacy and Starks were running so well, was a big head scratcher, MM has always been too cautious (just my opinion) 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line 4 down territory...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am guessing they do it for 2 reasons.....First and foremost, hoping they catch the defense napping and tear off a big run, with Lacey anything is possible. Second and the most unpopular (and usual result) is "rolling over" and saying "time to punt lets not throw an Int or take a sack". I hate this call. However, the one I find even worse is throwing to a guy that is well covered and well short of the first down markers. If nobody is open at the sticks, I would much rather watch Rodgers throw a hail mary and hope for a catch, interference or at worst......an interception in the endzone (same distance as a punt).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The hand off to Cobb at about the 3 yard line when Lacy and Starks were running so well, was a big head scratcher, MM has always been too cautious (just my opinion) 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line 4 down territory...

I agree, especially when you have Lacy or Starks to try and bang it in. MM will never win an award for creativity or ingenuity with his play calling and handing that one off to Cobb was about as close as he gets to trying something new, bad timing Mike. Hindsight is 20/20 though, Cobb scores, Packers win and everyone is talking about how brilliant/gutsy of a call that was.

So although he is conservative, I will take MM's play calling with Rodgers ability to audible over most teams OC and QB.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, don't be pinning all the blame on Mike.
AR has the go-ahead to change the play at the line if he wants to.
So sometimes it might be AR's fault.

Other than that, I have no idea why EITHER ONE OF THEM would hand off instead of passing.
You'll just have to ask BOTH why they do that.

OP
OP
BigBayBlues

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, don't be pinning all the blame on Mike.
AR has the go-ahead to change the play at the line if he wants to.
So sometimes it might be AR's fault.

Other than that, I have no idea why EITHER ONE OF THEM would hand off instead of passing.
You'll just have to ask BOTH why they do that.

We'll I was less concerned with whose decision it was and more just wondering why a team would do that. I'm just glad I'm not the only one confused with the call.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the announcers and former players will tell you, there aren't a lot of plays that work on 3rd and 14 or whatever the distance beyond 10 yards. The thinking is often to get as many yards as possible in a scenario where gaining the first down is highly unlikely. It's purely just about pinning the opposing offense back a little further.

Sometimes that is a good move, but certainly not all of the time. Good coaches should know when to, and when not to, employ that strategy.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll I was less concerned with whose decision it was and more just wondering why a team would do that. I'm just glad I'm not the only one confused with the call.
I do share in your frustration why the ball gets handed off instead of passed.
And not just on 3rd downs either.
Why not pass on 1st or second?

Latest posts