2024 Round 4, pick 111: Evan Williams, S, Oregon

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: Williams coverage limitations will be mitigated by playing next to McKinney, allowing him to do more box work than deep coverage. In this role, his tackling and box work will allow him to make plays.

Why He Would Fail: Even in a limited coverage role, Williams can't hang and he misses too many tackles in the box to boot.

My Guess: I think Williams and Bullard will share the majority of the snaps at safety across from McKinney. Bullard will move to the slot in big nickel, but play the safety spot in certain pass-happy games or situations.

Upside Comp: I've seen a lot of Alohi Gilman, but I like Julian Blackmon.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Evan Williams will wear his college #33... going to be strange seeing that # on the defensive side of the ball again.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting this same kind of info on another site. Don't remember the assignment of numbers being this big a deal before. Did I miss something? Just wondering.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Getting this same kind of info on another site. Don't remember the assignment of numbers being this big a deal before. Did I miss something? Just wondering.
Some fans just like to know, whether it be so they can order a jersey, or in the larger picture, that's what you see on the field are numbers, more than names. As for players, a number means something to them in most cases, that's why you see guys pay others to try to get a certain number, if it's taken already, or switch if it becomes available. Sometimes it might have been their high school, or college number. Just some additional information to put out there on these newest members of our Packers Team.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, I understand most of that. Just don't remember it being that big a deal in the forums. Carry on.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turns out Evan Williams has a knack of getting into the other team's backfield. I learned today that in 2023, he was on the field for 20 passing plays, and of those 20 snaps, he had5 hurries and 4.5 sacks. That's one of the best ratios in the country. Also, 5 tackles for loss.

And, like Kitan Oladapalo, he's already become good friends with the Bear's new quarterback, Caleb Wiliam (who certainly seems to like hanging onto the ball; he may pay dearly for that habit).

Here he is sacking Caleb and stripping hhim of the ball, and then another shot of hi recovering a second Williams fumble....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
I think I'm going to like this guy. He's already shown Caleb who's gonna be his daddy.
Yes. Even better I read he actually led the PAC-12 in pressure rate. He wasn’t asked to Rush the QB often, but when he did he graded Elite. 12.5 pressures on 20 snaps, including those 4.5 SACKS you mentioned.
From what I can tell he grades Great-Near Elite in short spaces. Conversely though, in Big Spaces, he’s Slightly below average. So what I’ve extracted from that is if he’s used in Specific Roles he’s Ultra effective. Evan has a keen awareness for finding holes and exploiting them using instinctive play timing. Often using a mini delay and then using short area burst to overwhelm in surprise fashion. Evan has very average long speed, but his 5-10 yard closing speed is Excellent. Very few athletes jump 40.5 Vertical 126” Long and those are attributes that pair with burst.

He’s also one of the most experienced Safeties logging over 1,300 College snaps across 5 years and 2 Programs. Oregon not only welcomed him from Fresno State, but recognized that and gave him increased workload as a 5th year Senior. He was already graded a good ST player prospect to Good backup Safety NFL grade a year ago. This year I read he was NOT the most talented Safety, but invoked interest from a dozen teams most notably Raiders and Packers. They had eyes on him in the Scouting community at the Combine and Senior Bowl. He graded out as the #1 Safety at the Senior bowl this year and was one of the Top stand out “impressive” players. Afterwards graded Most Pro Ready Safety in Class by a National NFC scout

I read most of that after the selection. Initially he seemed to me such a reach so I wanted to know more about why we would trade up 15 spots in Round 4 to #111. Imo. Brian was already sniffing Evan Williams at #88-91 but there were some other players we had graded top 50-75 still available. Once he got in ear reach of calling his name in that 100+ range I think we were excited to not have to spend a 3rd Rounder on him.

He's a Football magnet. Always around that football.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I really think they drafted Williams to start at safety next to McKinney and will move Bullard into the slot. Bullard is that versatile and Williams is more of a true safety. What I read, or heard, was that Oladapalo was too good to pass up at the draft spot he fell to. They had him graded that highly. It really looks like we have some insurance with the safety spot with a good veteran to help guide the safety spots. I still wish they would have drafted DL somewhere, but we have complained about safety long enough. Glad they addressed the need.

Reaction score
I really think they drafted Williams to start at safety next to McKinney and will move Bullard into the slot. Bullard is that versatile and Williams is more of a true safety. What I read, or heard, was that Oladapalo was too good to pass up at the draft spot he fell to. They had him graded that highly. It really looks like we have some insurance with the safety spot with a good veteran to help guide the safety spots. I still wish they would have drafted DL somewhere, but we have complained about safety long enough. Glad they addressed the need.
I was initially thinking 1 surprise pick at DL. I think they factored in that we have a pretty stocked shelf
Just added in 2023 2 DL (Wooden/Brooks) + Van Ness, at 6’5 27-275lb. Now that we’ve drafted 2 more really good LB’s I think THEY think the shelves are stocked.
Rashan Gary (6’5 X 280lb)
Preston Smith (6’5X265lb)
Devonte Wyatt (6’3X305lb)
Kenny Clark (6’3X315lb)
Lukas Van Ness (6’5 x275lb)
TJ Slaton (6’4 X 335lb)
Karl Brooks (6’3 296lb)
Colby Wooden (6’4 X275lb)
Brenton Cox (6’4X250lb)
Kingsley Enagbare (6’4X260lb)
Jonathon Ford (6’5 340lb)
Spencer Waege (6’5 X 295lb)

As we get a closer look, it’s a pretty good lineup of guys who can all play across that DL with lots a versatility mix. What’s more prominent is I think they expect some growth this year on Brenton Cox Jr, Devonte Wyatt, Van Ness and Jonathan Ford and possibly Waege.. Probably don’t want to overlap there too much or maybe bring in a couple Undrafted to compete at the bottom there?

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I was initially thinking 1 surprise pick at DL. I think they factored in that we have a pretty stocked shelf
Just added in 2023 2 DL (Wooden/Brooks) + Van Ness, at 6’5 27-275lb. Now that we’ve drafted 2 more really good LB’s I think THEY think the shelves are stocked.
Kenny Clark (6’3X315lb)
TJ Slaton (6’4 X 335lb)
Karl Brooks (6’3 296lb)
Brenton Cox (6’4X250lb)

That’s a pretty good lineup of guys who can all play across that DL. What’s more prominent is I think they expect some growth this year on Brenton Cox Jr, Devonte Wyatt, Van Ness and Jonathan Ford and possibly Waege.. Probably don’t want to overlap there too much or maybe bring in a couple Undrafted to compete at the bottom there?
I can't argue any of that. I just thought one DL out of the draft would be nice. Again, can't argue this.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenny Clark (6’3X315lb)
TJ Slaton (6’4 X 335lb)
Karl Brooks (6’3 296lb)
Brenton Cox (6’4X250lb)

As we get a closer look, it’s a pretty good lineup of guys who can all play across that DL with lots a versatility mix. What’s more prominent is I think they expect some growth this year on Brenton Cox Jr, Devonte Wyatt, Van Ness and Jonathan Ford and possibly Waege.. Probably don’t want to overlap there too much or maybe bring in a couple Undrafted to compete at the bottom there?

What could play out is next year we are stocked but that tippy top shelf is in need of attention...now that could be done by a guy or two stepping up and making it viable to move them up but Clark and Slaton both could be done after this year and each play a very specific level and/or role which we don't presently have a clear successor for. Wyatt is of course perhaps the replacement for Clark and Ford for Slaton but each have to show that this year in a big way!

Members online