2023 game 14 vs Tampa: Bay of pigs edition

Reaction score
Both teams sub .500, both needing wins to hold on to a playoff spot. Neither team playing like they deserve it. Chris Berman's "bay of pigs" derogatory epitaph is fitting.
Well. Play Sloppy and expect to get stuck with the Pigs. Just get a “W” and at 7-7, suddenly our path becomes more clear.
The Giants game told me we really can’t look past anyone right now. We need to re-earn our respect and it starts Sunday and nothing else matters past that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well. Play Sloppy and expect to get stuck with the Pigs. Just get a “W” and at 7-7, suddenly our path becomes more clear.
The Giants game told me we really can’t look past anyone right now. We need to re-earn our respect and it starts Sunday and nothing else matters past that.
And it got more difficult with Dillon having a broken thumb

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon says he wants to play, but a running back handling the ball with a broken thumb?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like the strength and conditioning coaches need to focus on thumb exercises.

Their offensive output these last 4 games might be more of a reflection of injuries impacting them than where they are at from a development standpoint. Possibly out Jones, Dillon, Wicks, Watson, Musgrave not ideal. Can only next man up it so much.

Reaction score
And it got more difficult with Dillon having a broken thumb
While that part is true, it’s not impossible to play with that wrapped up good. Especially used in short yardage runs and limited snaps.

However I’m guessing in some capacity we are + across the board compared to last week. The tide is turning

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Dillon says he wants to play, but a running back handling the ball with a broken thumb?
What I heard on sports talk this morning is he would have to carry the ball with one hand and wouldn't be in on passing plays. Meaning, they wouldn't do RB screens or throws to the flat with him. He would be pretty one dimensional. I'm guessing he doesn't go.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Here we are again facing a subpar offensive team. Yardage wise, they rank 24th in the league. They rank 23rd overall in scoring led by a castoff QB that was pretty much labeled as a bust. The Bucs are at 20 points per game. On the ground, they rank 30th overall with 3.9 yards per attempt. Not an offensive juggernaut by any means. Defensively, they rank 27th in yardage given up and 21st in points given up. They're not a great defense. They do rank two spots above the Packers though. Looking at the numbers, they are very similar teams. Probably why they both are 6-7. I don't have a great feeling about this game. Local radio station was pointing out that White has been on a tear lately running and catching the ball. Obviously, with the Packers ranking 31st in yardage given up on the ground could make for a long day.

With the Packers inability to stop the run I think the Bucs will walk away with the win. I'm going 24-27 with the Pack taking the L.

As a side note, I will be at this game with my son. It will be his 15th BD. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the prediction and they can give my boy a cherry on the top of his day. GPG!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we are again facing a subpar offensive team. Yardage wise, they rank 24th in the league. They rank 23rd overall in scoring led by a castoff QB that was pretty much labeled as a bust. The Bucs are at 20 points per game. On the ground, they rank 30th overall with 3.9 yards per attempt. Not an offensive juggernaut by any means. Defensively, they rank 27th in yardage given up and 21st in points given up. They're not a great defense. They do rank two spots above the Packers though. Looking at the numbers, they are very similar teams. Probably why they both are 6-7. I don't have a great feeling about this game. Local radio station was pointing out that White has been on a tear lately running and catching the ball. Obviously, with the Packers ranking 31st in yardage given up on the ground could make for a long day.

With the Packers inability to stop the run I think the Bucs will walk away with the win. I'm going 24-27 with the Pack taking the L.

As a side note, I will be at this game with my son. It will be his 15th BD. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the prediction and they can give my boy a cherry on the top of his day. GPG!

Reaction score
What I heard on sports talk this morning is he would have to carry the ball with one hand and wouldn't be in on passing plays. Meaning, they wouldn't do RB screens or throws to the flat with him. He would be pretty one dimensional. I'm guessing he doesn't go.
Yea. I think we’ve all seen RB play with a thumb taped. Although we are in a scenario where RB1 just happens to be back. Personally I’m suiting him up but only using him in a narrow role. Possible a short yardage run. Possible goal line. Possibly as a reserve if Jones has a setback.

It’s a pretty important game. Dillon said he’s played with these type injuries in the past. If he’s not in pain, it’s an injury that is very little risk with a thick splint on either side taped up. Especially if he’s used in a role <10 carries. We need this Win if we are thinking postseason. All hands on deck

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea. I think we’ve all seen RB play with a thumb taped. Although we are in a scenario where RB1 just happens to be back. Personally I’m suiting him up but only using him in a narrow role. Possible a short yardage run. Possible goal line. Possibly as a reserve if Jones has a setback.

It’s a pretty important game. Dillon said he’s played with these type injuries in the past. If he’s not in pain, it’s an injury that is very little risk with a thick splint on either side taped up. Especially if he’s used in a role <10 carries. We need this Win if we are thinking postseason. All hands on deck
I think the conventional wisdom is that Dillon really needs a lot of carries to be effective. Rather than send him out, figuring on minimal carries, I'd rather see another option.

Reaction score
That’s what Christmas it’s all about. Family. Especially our spiritual family You guys (Packerforum Members and family) are considered extended family so we pray your wishes come true.

Injury updates:
Stokes FP 3 days!
If so? WELCOME BACK ERIC!!!!

Savage was the only player other than Watson who didn’t practice and I’m guessing they are both OUT.

So we likely lose - Savage in the backfield but pick up + Stokes.

Walker practiced LP Thurs-Fri so that’s a good sign also.

Likely + Aaron Jones

Likely + at least 1 of J’aire or Quay

Dillon looks to be 50/50. He was back practicing today albeit limited.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both teams sub .500, both needing wins to hold on to a playoff spot. Neither team playing like they deserve it. Chris Berman's "bay of pigs" derogatory epitaph is fitting.
The old NFC Norris division.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

That's a great birthday present Krabs! Kudos to you.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Have fun at the game! Where will you be sitting? I haven't been to a game since we moved to FL in 2005.

How good is the Bucs' D? We lost last week because of turnovers. I say if we don't turn it over and commit stupid penalties we can eke out a win here.

We normally get every Tampa game but because the Dolphins and Bucs are both playing at the same time on CBS we are stuck with the Miami game instead. :( SW FL is considered a Miami market. We get all games from all the sports of the other coast.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only problem with Jones playing is that it's in GB, and the temp is going to be in the neighborhood of the mid to high 30s at game time. That thumb is going to stiffen, and the pain when it's hit is going to intensify. Also, the feeling will disappear to a degree, and you have to worry about fumbling. If he can only use one hand to carry the ball because of it, he's going to be more tentative covering it with the injured hand, because it's obviously going to be hit regularly.

Then there's the issue of how much he'll do to protect it, reducing his running capabilities.

It's a calculated risk. It could exacerbate the problem.

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa has two great linebackers and one of the best run defenses in the league. We got two pretty good backers and are one of the worst defenses in the league. Scheme matters. Here’s to hoping we can stop the run tomorrow and score a W

Reaction score
Tampa has two great linebackers and one of the best run defenses in the league. We got two pretty good backers and are one of the worst defenses in the league. Scheme matters. Here’s to hoping we can stop the run tomorrow and score a W
IF Quay is back that helps. Hes still an upgrade from McDoofle. It allows Campbell to float into coverage more.

I also am not concerned about Savage. He’s a very pedestrian level Safety and the word complacency comes to mind. I’d rather Anthony Johnson or Owens or even Ford team up. Those guys are much more physical than Savage imo. Savage can’t even tackle a 210lb QB who’s giving himself up. Lol

Oh maybe a slight exaggeration but you get the drift

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB Drake & WR Melton called up from PS, And Stokes activated off of IR & onto the 53. Guessing that may mean no Dillon tomorrow, and maybe no Alexander?

Reaction score
RB Drake & WR Melton called up from PS, And Stokes activated off of IR & onto the 53. Guessing that may mean no Dillon tomorrow, and maybe no Alexander?
It’s such a wild guessing game. I can’t tell if guys are coming or going.

My best guess is they hold out Dillon because #33 is playing. That’s just a completely easy trade off. Drake might be a 3rd option to take a few snaps, but more for emergency as Jones will be on a 50% snap count imo.

They might be thinking similar with resting Jaire, as getting Stokes back gives us some better depth at CB. Either limiting Ja snaps or just keeping him out 1 more week.

Watson being out and Wicks being limited at best spells the Melton activation

These are all just merely guesses

Latest posts