2009 Draft - Round 1, Pick 9, Overall Pick 9 - BJ Raji

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i posted this in other forum but i'll put it here as well, from sports illustrated:

The Packers trade with New England in order to get back up into the first round and get an outside linebacker to play opposite Aaron Kampman in Dom Capers' new 3-4 defense. The addition of Matthews and B.J. Raji gives the Pack two projected starters to inject into a defense that took a significant step back in 2008. Packers GM Ted Thompson gave up a lot with three picks in rounds two and three, but it will be worth it if Matthews continues the meteoric progression of his career, which started as a walk-on at USC.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: The Packers add a versatile outside linebacker to their 3-4. Matthews' multi-dimensional game serves as the perfect complement to Aaron Kampman. As a credible rushing threat with underrated cover skills, Matthews gives Dom Capers the ability to mix and match his rush schemes. Though he only spent one season as a starter in college, he has the potential to be a solid pro in the Packers' defense.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I could not love the Matthews pick more. I could not love the draft we have going so far more. I wouldn't be surprised if TT gets antsy and finds a way to jump back into round two.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't think so. Matthews is going to play on whatever side it is that Kampman doesn't play on. Hawk and Barnett in the middle. All of a sudden, I like our linebackers a lot.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100%. Now I think we may have the best LB core in the entire league. I know that's too early to say, but just looking at it now, I believe that's a great possibility.

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm with the rest of you guys. Chillar was no barn burner and Brady is getting long on the tooth for me as well.

Reaction score
I wanted orakpo but im fine with this decision because it was key component of a 3-4 team and a great player for that spot and hopefully raji proves me wrong and has a kick *** season , and how can i be mad when we just got clay matthews so we got a good olb to fill that spot also

Reaction score
yah we will have an insane LB crew so now we can finally get some pressure with this team and will help out our cbs and safeties the more pressure which means Charles will have 13 ints!!!! not likely but hopefully :p. And our run stopping will increase dramatically with these 2 mens considering we have to go against AP, Forte and a promisiong lions Rb kevin jones, even though he didnt get over 1000 yards he looks good when i watched him run .

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yah we will have an insane LB crew so now we can finally get some pressure with this team and will help out our cbs and safeties the more pressure which means Charles will have 13 ints!!!! not likely but hopefully :p. And our run stopping will increase dramatically with these 2 mens considering we have to go against AP, Forte and a promisiong lions Rb kevin jones, even though he didnt get over 1000 yards he looks good when i watched him run .

You have to beat your division rivals first. Nutrilze the strengths of those teams and you have a better shot at the division title. I'm much happier as I digest today!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With what GB has on Defense right now & if everyone transitions into the new scheme fine then we should have one of the top Defenses in the NFL. No kidding! It breaks down as follows:

3 - 1st Round Picks on the Defensive Line (Harrell, Raji, & Pickett)

3 - 1st Round Picks at LB, 1 - 5th Round Pick at LB (Mathews, Hawk, Barnett, & Kapman)

1 - 1st Round Pick, 2 - 2nd Round Picks at DB ( Woodson, Collins, & Harris) leaving Bigby as the only Undrafted FA starting.

Remind you that Pickett was drafted on the 1st Round by St.Louis, Woodson was drafted on the 1st Round by Oakland, & Green Bay traded a 2nd Round Pick for Al Harris.

Based on these numbers our defense should be fantastic and I would venture to say that right now we have more 1st Round Picks on our Start Defense (7) then any team in the league. Also, 2 - 2nd Rounders giving us 9 Premium Draft Picks on our defense. That's not including Kampman who is probably our best Defensive Player, however that could be argued with Woodson, Barnett, etc.

Reaction score
i mean are defense was average at best when we went far in that 13-3 season. it was ranked proabably around 15 that year. then last year we had many Key injuries to our defense Cullen Jenkins , Nick Barnett, Aj hawk with a bad hammy the whole year. Al harris gone for a while. So we still have that pretty good D but now we got a 3-4 D which can rush the passer like some of The great teams in the NFL ...(Steelers, Ravens) and we just added 2 great players from the draft i see no reason why we cant have a top 10 D if everyone works hard and stays healthy

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it is confirmed for next year the 3-4 so maybe it will give the other teams in our division a little more trouble considering they have less "information" to prepare for the game with our new defense scheme.

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait to see these guys come summer camp.....This year I'm taking my son to take in a practice, we also go up for Family Night.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Raji is a great pick. I think it shows that mgmnt recognizes it's main problem...we need to make the defense a threat. I would like to see them take a young, fresh cb now to replace our starters in the future, they aren't getting any younger.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will really see how good our LB's are now that the DL has been upgraded. Remember they were saying Ray Lewis was washed up until he complained to management to draft another big guy to eat up the blockers in front of him so he can make plays like he use to. They then draft Ngata and the rest was history. Lewis started playing like an All-Pro again. Well when was the last time GB has had anyone on the interior DL that played on All-Pro level. Maybe just maybe we will now see an even better Barnett, the real AJ Hawk and with Kampman & Mathews the sky is the limit.

PackerFan89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We gave them our 2nd round pick and our two 3rd round picks.

This is a very good pick. I watched tons of Raji's college footage and was very impressed with what he could do at the college level. He is going to be a great NT for the Packers for years to come. GREAT PICK.

BTW i also think we got a 5th round pick from the NE in that trade too.

Members online

Latest posts