WR Porter ready for new start in Oakland

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR Porter ready for new start in Oakland

NFL.com wire reports

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Feb. 21, 2007) -- Jerry Porter is ready for a new start with the Oakland Raiders.

After a difficult 2006 season when he clashed with coach Art Shell and rarely got on the field, Porter announced he is changing his uniform number from 84 to 81 in order to put last season behind him and get off on the right foot with new coach Lane Kiffin.

"For me the new number represents a new start, a new beginning and new attitude," he said in a statement released by the team. "I've had multiple meetings with Coach Kiffin and I am very excited about the direction of our team and especially our offense. I can't wait to get started."

Porter had a run-in with Shell over offseason workout plans soon after the coach was hired last February. The receiver also made public a trade demand at the start of training camp. Porter was inactive the first four games of the season and then suspended for insubordination.

The suspension was cut from four games to two games after an appeal, but Porter played only sparingly after that, finishing the season with only one catch.

Even though Shell was fired at the conclusion of a 2-14 season, it was uncertain whether Porter would want to return to Oakland or the Raiders wanted him back next season. This is an indication Porter will be an integral part of the team in 2007.

Still up in the air is what the team will do with its other star receiver, Randy Moss, who also complained about Shell's coaching style. Moss, who had career lows with 42 catches for 553 yards and three touchdowns, said last season he might be better off with another team.

The Raiders now might be more willing to try to trade Moss, knowing they have Porter in the fold. Porter led the team in receptions in 2004 and '05 with 140 catches for 1,940 yards and 14 touchdowns over the two seasons.

With little production from Porter and Moss last season, the Raiders scored the fifth-fewest points ever in a 16-game season (168). Ronald Curry led the team in receiving with 62 catches for 727 yards and one touchdown.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....it's STILL the Raiders, and STILL is run by Al Davis. I don't know why Porter would be so positive.

Members online

Latest posts