Wow. Matthews fined

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's not like Clay is going out and murdering children, is it?
Wears the "wrong" shoes?
It's harmless. BFD.
The NFL is fine happy and their gestapo rules are getting out of control and just ridiculous.

Not sure why your so hell bent on making this such a huge deal? I gave what I thought were logical reasons why they have the fines...

Since you feel so strong about this...Go an the Steelers board and start ranting about Troy's fine for using a cell phone to call his wife to say he was okay...Or stop watching the games if these fines make you so mad??

FTR I do agree the fines are stupid, but there are real reasons why they have them..

Can we move on now?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rules are rules just as laws are laws. If you violate them, you pay the price. It doesn't really matter how ridiculous the rule is, if you still knowingly violate it, then you also know you have to face the consequence.

In Troy's case, he had to of known he was going to get a fine for talking on his phone during the game. Yet it was important for him to call his wife to let her know he was OK. I would of done the same thing if I were him.

In Clay's case, he was aware of the violation and still went ahead with it. As much as I respect Clay, I can't really make a legit case in his defense. There was premeditation, precognition. He knew he was going to get fined the moment he stepped out on the field. Arguing the stupidity of a rule is futile. The end result is going to be the same, no matter how stupid you think the rule is.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have rules in life. Some are laws some are rules. We have rules on the forum. The NFL has rules ( that clay clearly knew and broke reguardless). You break them you will have some sort of punishment. Go spam this forum and it will get you banned. Reguardless of if you agree or disagree with the rule, the nfl dishes out the checks, they will enforce the rules.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His coach kevin had issues like this all the time in his career. He even had to go back into the lockerroom one time because of how illegal his jersey was and change.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess some of us will just have to agree to disagree when it comes to certain rules and even laws.
Clay wearing the wrong shoes. It's harmless and it doesn't make any sense. Did anyone watching even notice and have a hissy fit over that?
But those who are OK with that rule, do you feel like we all should have to follow each and every one of these ridiculous laws all the time? Just because it's a rule doesn't always mean it's right.
http://tjshome.com/dumblaws.php

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
But those who are OK with that rule, do you feel like we all should have to follow each and every one of these ridiculous laws all the time? Just because it's a rule doesn't always mean it's right.

It is your OPINION that the rule is ridiculous. Your opinion is NOT fact. I don't agree with your assumption that it is ridiculous. As to whether "we should have to follow each and every one of these ridiculous laws all the time" I would say yes OR be prepared to accept the consequences. If it is a law, rule, statute, ordinance, or whatever and if it is promulgated by properly constituted authority it ought to be obeyed unless you are prepared to accept the consequences. If Clay wants to be a part of the NFL and accept all of its benefits he must play by their rules.
As has been said by many previous posters, if an employer has dress codes or other standards should they not be able to enforce them? I have a close friend who can be suspended (and for repeated violations ultimately be terminated) for wearing a Coca-Cola shirt to work. That seems ridiculous until one understands that he is employed by Pepsi. Is that ridiculous? You may think so, I do not.
The one thing you said that is clearly correct, is that we can agree to disagree. I believe that we should be governed by laws and you do not -- because if one person can choose whether or not to obey then we each have that right and there is no law.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because it's a rule doesn't always mean it's right.

Yeah, it's a little ridiculous. But it's also a little ridiculous how much these fellas get paid. And it's a little ridiculous how much of my time I spend on this game. I feel like these types of statements should be saved for discriminatory laws. Not rules for a game. It's not like the league is trying to deny them their civil liberties. They're saying that their uniforms have to match...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You want to see something? You think the NFL is ridiculous? Try pulling a uniform violation in the military. I don't even want to think of what they would of done to poor Clay if he was in the military and tried to wear shoes that were not in military regulation while on duty.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
wow...this thread is rather shocking ....

I wonder what would happen if Clay wore the shoes, AND flipped the bird.....:confused:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is your OPINION that the rule is ridiculous. Your opinion is NOT fact. If Clay wants to be a part of the NFL and accept all of its benefits he must play by their rules.

The one thing you said that is clearly correct, is that we can agree to disagree. .

Well said..

So I would like the debate about if it was stupid fine or ridiculous, or was justified to end..

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Excuse me, it isnt a disorder, it is a disease...The worse kind of muscular dystrophy a young kid can get..

It is Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy--it KILLS every boy that gets it...My son has it

By age 10 or so boys can no longer walk

By age 14-16 they need a breathing machine

By age 20 their heart gives out
I'm very sorry to hear that, LTF. I can't imagine how terrible that is for your son however, I'm sure he is receiving lots of love and support through his journey. Sometimes I see kids with a disabling disease and I see how much love and attention they recieve. Makes me happy to think that, though their lives may be comprised & way too short, they are well cared for and somehow protected from outside perils that healthy kids may endure. Little solice I'm sure but it's the best I can give.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear that, LTF. I can't imagine how terrible that is for your son however, I'm sure he is receiving lots of love and support through his journey. Sometimes I see kids with a disabling disease and I see how much love and attention they recieve. Makes me happy to think that, though their lives may be comprised & way too short, they are well cared for and somehow protected from outside perils that healthy kids may endure. Little solice I'm sure but it's the best I can give.

:)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL teams can choose to be either a black cleats team or a white cleats team. We were a white cleats team for a long time and then in 08 (Rodgers era) we switched to black cleats. Players can add colors to them but they have to be mostly white/black. Because of the throwback game players were allowed to wear the brown cleats offered. Only Desmond Bishop (as far as I know) wore the brown cleats.

Packer fan forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is a rule and if Clay knowingly violated it, then he should pay the fine. I don't like some of the speed limits in my area either, but if I knowingly violate them I should expect to pay the fine. If it is a bad rule, change the rule. If it is the rule, everyone should be held accountable -- even the Claymaker.
These are big boys whose mothers no longer get to make decisions for them. Agreed - if they decide to ignore the team or league policy, they should be fined.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
As to whether "we should have to follow each and every one of these ridiculous laws all the time" I would say yes OR be prepared to accept the consequences. If it is a law, rule, statute, ordinance, or whatever and if it is promulgated by properly constituted authority it ought to be obeyed unless you are prepared to accept the consequences.

Well, it was against the rules for us to split with England in 1776, too. Up the revolution!

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Well, it was against the rules for us to split with England in 1776, too. Up the revolution!

Learn your history. That is not true. Every Colonial Charter prepared by Sir Edward Coke incorporated by reference and granted to the colonists all of the protections of Magna Charta. Included in those protections were the right to "no taxation without representation" and a right to trial by jury. Acts of Parliament, one of the most egregious of which was the Stamp Act, not only taxed the colonists without representation, but provided for enforcement in Admiralty courts so that there was no right to trial by jury.
Furthermore, the colonists made several attempts at peaceful resolution (attempts like the "Olive Branch Petition), but King George became more and more recalcitrant. Read the Declaration of Independence some time and realize that it is an appeal to the nations of the world to explain that they had made every attempt to get King George to comply voluntarily with the requirements of Magna Charta, but he refused -- leaving them no choice but to seek the protection of the rights that were secured to them by Magna Charta and their Colonial Charters. The "Revolution" about which you speak was a war to enforce the law; not overthrow it.

Members online

Latest posts