Why was Kurt Schottenheimer rehired?

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing why this guy was re-hired. I have it on a source that one of the big factors in why Roman wants out is because Schottenheimer was rehired, and the fact that the two don't like each other, which leads Roman to be worried that Kurt will favour Manuel start. The source also told me Roman is a LITTLE hurt, not extremely hurt, over the signing of Manuel, but that isn't the sole reason he wants out. Roman is confident in his abilities, and my source told me Roman isn't as bad as people say he is, and it says something that he beat out Freeman/ Little last year.

So my question is why has McCarthy rehired Kurt, when the facts prove that he isn't a good DB coach? (I'll try to get an answer, but there are a few of you who have more connections then I do, so I would be interested in your replies)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roman is confident in his abilities? WHY?

Oh, and as far as his stay in GB(not talking about his other jobs), it is pretty common knowledge(becoming more common) that Sherman didn't listen to his assistants\coordinators almost at all, so we might not have seen the real KS.

Kinda like how Donatell sucked here, and did good in Atlanta...cuz they um, listened to him.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Roman is confident in his abilities? WHY?

I'm just passing on what was told, but I'd rather have a football player believe in his abilities and be average as opposed to a football player not have faith in himself and suck.

tromadz said:
Oh, and as far as his stay in GB(not talking about his other jobs), it is pretty common knowledge(becoming more common) that Sherman didn't listen to his assistants\coordinators almost at all, so we might not have seen the real KS.

It's not that Kurt has had success anywhere else, because he even failed last year in St. Louis, and has a reputation for riding on his brother's success. I mean if he was any good, you would have heard some complement on the guy, or at least seen his DBs he "coached" do good. I'm sure there is a reason as to why we hired this guy when we have a better guy (many experts say so) in Washington.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roman obviously isn't confident in his abilities and if he is, he's very immature. He beat the talent out last year and now he has to beat Manuel out this year. The Signing of Manuel should not force Roman out of Green Bay, nor should playing for a coach. Your source is defending Roman from the sound of it. I don't mind Roman but from what I'm hearing about his complaints him being angry just doesn't seem justified in my opinion.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
don't shoot the messenger. :p

I trust the person, but I was also shocked he said Roman isn't all that bad. But he is the insider, not me, so I'll trust him. Interesting you say that porky, I'll have to get clarifications about Roman.

I agree that playing for a coach shouldn't matter, but I was told that roman did criticize Kurt a lot, and blamed his bad season mostly on him and Slowik, and now there is animosity between the two. That is why Roman is concerned, that he will get "screwed over" by Kurt, and then eventually see his playing time reduced. But I do agree that his whining is uncalled for, and he is putting blame on everyone else but himself.

I'll post something later on if I can.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hiring of Schottenheimer was and still is one of the most disturbing things that happened in this off season.
I have never heard or read one good thing about him as a coach.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
don't shoot the messenger. :p

I trust the person, but I was also shocked he said Roman isn't all that bad. But he is the insider, not me, so I'll trust him. Interesting you say that porky, I'll have to get clarifications about Roman.

I agree that playing for a coach shouldn't matter, but I was told that roman did criticize Kurt a lot, and blamed his bad season mostly on him and Slowik, and now there is animosity between the two. That is why Roman is concerned, that he will get "screwed over" by Kurt, and then eventually see his playing time reduced. But I do agree that his whining is uncalled for, and he is putting blame on everyone else but himself.

I'll post something later on if I can.

I can kinda relate to not wanting to play for a certain coach but his "anger" towards the Packers for bringing in Manuel without asking him first is kinda ridiculous in my opinion. I'm sure TT didn't know that he needed to ask Mark Roman before he could bring in another safety. I hope they keep Roman and I hope he pushes Manuel for the starting job but most of all I hope he just plays football and not whines like a 8 year old.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One good thing:

In 1999, Kurt Schottenheimer’s Chiefs defense established a team record by producing nine defensive touchdowns, the NFL’s best mark. Kansas City also led the NFL with a plus-21 turnover ratio and ranked second with 45 takeaways, 20 fumble recoveries and 125 points off takeaways. The Chiefs ended that season ranked second in the AFC in interceptions (25).

And some bad things:

Several sources said Schottenheimer also played an instrumental role in the Packers' selection of cornerback Joey Thomas in the third round in '04. Thomas was waived Nov. 2.

Last season, Schottenheimer coached the secondary in St. Louis under coach Mike Martz and Marmie. The Rams ranked 30th in total defense, including 23rd in interceptions and against the pass.

In 2004, the Packers allowed a club-record 33 touchdown passes and a club-record opponent's passer rating of 99.1. They ranked 25th in yards allowed under coordinator Bob Slowik, 25th in passing yards allowed (228.9) and had just eight interceptions, establishing another club record for futility.

Schottenheimer tried a laid-back approach with his players that fell on deaf ears.

"That group needed someone in your face, someone to kind of get after them a little bit," a source close to the team said. "He wasn't a good communicator."

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at Kurt Schottenheimer's record of success.

It isn't because he worked for his brother in Cleveland, Kansas City and Washington that he got those jobs.

Kurt Schottenheimer, has spent time with six teams since he entered the league in 1987. He served as defensive coordinator for Detroit (2002-03), Washington (2001) and Kansas City (1999-2000). Additionally for Kansas City, he coached both defensive backs (1995-98) and special teams (1989-94). His first position was with Cleveland (1987-88) as special teams coach.

Why in the last 10 years he has been promoted from both special teams and secondary coach to defensive backs coach.

Just because he is on his 4th new job in 4 years changing teams after each season is no reason to doubt him.

Many of you remember how overjoyed Mike McKenzie was when Kurt was hired last time.

He is the shining example of hiring by rookie coach Mike McCarthy.

The enthusiastic happy to be here Woodson, happy campers Al Harris, Mark Roman, career substitute Manuel and team leader Ahmad Carroll will be a cohesive unit demonstrating what fine coaching can accomplish.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Roman is that bad. All you have to do is watch the darn game on Sunday's to know that he can't tackle, misses assignements regulary and couldn't cover a wall if he was paint. Why do you think they signed Manual. If I was Roman I'd be worried too.

I don't know why they rehired Schottenheimer. I have heard that many of Sherman's assistants had troubles with him because he didn't listen to them. Maybe the guy is good and Sherman didn't know it. Hunt sucked and took him four years to figure it out.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Well what my source told me regarding Kurt, unfortunatly I can't repeat. All I can say is if the reason I got is true, then McCarthy has made the same blunder as bad as when Sherman hired Slowik.

I also got that in my source's opinion, Washington should have been the guy for the job, but didn't get it because McCarthy isn't comfortable with him since they have never worked together. I was told Washington has some amazing insight, and people often overlook Washington for how he worked with Harris to improve him to the top CB he is today.

I asked about Roman, and I was told he is just calling it the way he sees it, and people can disagree all they want but he isn't going to sit and defend himself. I also got one last thing, I was told that whether or not Roman stays will be decided based on a large part on how well Underwood progresses. If they feel Underwood is ready (and I was told they have been really pleased with all he has done this offseason so far), they won't hesitate to move on without Roman.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
[quote="all about da packers":2798c68d]Well what my source told me, unfortunatly I can't repeat.

After this being said, sorry but nothing after it means diddly squat.

I meant regarding why Kurt was rehired by McCarthy.[/quote:2798c68d]

Why was he HIRED by McCarthy (McCarthy never fired him :p heh)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol, man you should be a lawyer, picking out little details like that.

ha, I know I'm a pain huh :)

So, enough with that bad attempt at a fillibuster and tell us why McCarthy hired someone the general population that can still breath feels is unworthy of employment within the Packers organization?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way i look at it........what it boils down to is this: If the players are good, they make the coach look good. If you have lousy players that can't cover, tackle, and so on, the best coach in the league will look lousy too.
So......IF the new players here, and the old ones take a step up, the coach will look good. Then it won't matter who the DB coach is.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info AADP. I'm sure zero will rip me for complimenting a mod :wink: but getting inside info is great whether you agree with it or not. The problem is that some people think they know more about a situation than an insider.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Thanks for the info AADP. I'm sure zero will rip me for complimenting a mod :wink: but getting inside info is great whether you agree with it or not. The problem is that some people think they know more about a situation than an insider.

I'm sure my name did not need to be mentioned :)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your source is right on the money. Schottenheimer was a crony hire that was by far the worst move by MM and TT to date. The guy is working in the NFL bsed solely upon his relationship to his brother.

There is ill will between Shotty and Roman, because Shottenheimer is not a stand up guy and looks to scapegoat his players rather than look at his own failing in coaching and scheme.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Your source is right on the money. Schottenheimer was a crony hire that was by far the worst move by MM and TT to date. The guy is working in the NFL bsed solely upon his relationship to his brother.

There is ill will between Shotty and Roman, because Shottenheimer is not a stand up guy and looks to scapegoat his players rather than look at his own failing in coaching and scheme.

Well I can now say that I was told that Kurt was hired, to put it bluntly, be a lap dog for McCarthy. I'm nt sure if you got the same Bruce, but my source made it clear that Kurt was someone who would keep watch for McCarthy, and McCarthy hired Kurt to cover his own ***.

I wonder Bruce, have you heard the story behind Bates and Ted?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:

Well I can now say that I was told that Kurt was hired, to put it bluntly, be a lap dog for McCarthy. I'm nt sure if you got the same Bruce, but my source made it clear that Kurt was someone who would keep watch for McCarthy, and McCarthy hired Kurt to cover his own ***.

I wonder Bruce, have you heard the story behind Bates and Ted?

I'm sure his source made the very same thing clear as day to him as well.

Bates and Ted or Jim and Thompson. :p
I heard Bates was offered the job and was asked not to mention anything about it until Ted said so and Bates called Favre to tell him the 'good' news about him getting the HC position. This apparently showed Ted or Thompson that Bates can not be loyal with information and subsquently removed him from consideration of being the HC with the Packers. If you watched Bates or Jim talk on his press conference this scenario makes sense. It's either true or very cleverly thought up.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If thats true....thats...interesting. part of me says, "good job, TT!" since he couldnt be trusted with the info, and part of me says, "damn, give hime 1 mistake!" cuz I like bates...

but holy cow if thats true....

TT doesnt **** around apparently.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
If thats true....thats...interesting. part of me says, "good job, TT!" since he couldnt be trusted with the info, and part of me says, "damn, give hime 1 mistake!" cuz I like bates...

but holy cow if thats true....

TT doesnt **** around apparently.

You gotta be kidding. You can actually spin that story into making TT look good? If this story is true then TT is a flaming a-hole. But I don't think this is true. It would have come out in the mainstream by now.

Members online

Latest posts