why Free Agency is buyer beware

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think Woodson was considered the worst at this position his first year then got hurt.

This year was a bust for the Saints and Byrd, but we will see how it shakes out in the coming years.

Wait.. you think Byrd is the worst at his position? Hopefully that's a typo..being a Packers fan I'm sure you've seen the likes of Conte in Chicago

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait.. you think Byrd is the worst at his position? Hopefully that's a typo..being a Packers fan I'm sure you've seen the likes of Conte in Chicago

I dont know if he is the worst, but several people with credibility have said he was http://blogs.theadvocate.com/blacka...ressed-with-jairus-byrds-play-in-new-orleans/

PFF has him the 69th rated Safety.

Is he the worst? doubtful, but the fact that he is considered one of the worst is a testament to why teams shouldnt overpay for some FAs. talk about cashing in

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson apparently doesn't agree. It's interesting that the only "big name" free agents signed by Thompson were 1st round elite talent. Pickett, Woodson & Peppers. Ted is very choosy. I think Byrd was drafted 42nd which means the Packers passed on him.

While Woodson and Peppers were elite first round talents at the time they entered the draft I don´t consider Pickett an elite guy just because he was picked at the end of the first round and would for sure not rate him over Byrd.

D

Deleted member 6794

I dont know if he is the worst, but several people with credibility have said he was http://blogs.theadvocate.com/blacka...ressed-with-jairus-byrds-play-in-new-orleans/

PFF has him the 69th rated Safety.

Is he the worst? doubtful, but the fact that he is considered one of the worst is a testament to why teams shouldnt overpay for some FAs. talk about cashing in

Byrd has been terrible against the run during the first four weeks in New Orleans, but still pretty decent in coverage. It´s highly possible though that weakness would have been exposed with the Packers.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Byrd has been terrible against the run during the first four weeks in New Orleans, but still pretty decent in coverage. It´s highly possible though that weakness would have been exposed with the Packers.

38th, which puts him in burnett category

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While Woodson and Peppers were elite first round talents at the time they entered the draft I don´t consider Pickett an elite guy just because he was picked at the end of the first round and would for sure not rate him over Byrd.
Pickett at the time we signed him and when he was drafted may have been much higher valued by Thompson. That would be an interesting question to be posed to him though I'm not sure he'd reveal his thoughts. It may be that they thought Byrd wasn't a good fit or that Byrd wanted no part of coming to Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

38th, which puts him in burnett category

I don´t care about the PFF grades, Burnett has allowed a 138.4 passer rating when targeted with Byrd at 93.8 (which is still way worse than during previous years).

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t care about the PFF grades, Burnett has allowed a 138.4 passer rating when targeted with Byrd at 93.8 (which is still way worse than during previous years).
where did that stat come from?

You seem to have a love hate with PFF

you must be glad though we never jumped on that bandwagon and paid him a ton of $$$ like someone were rallying for

D

Deleted member 6794

where did that stat come from?

You seem to have a love hate with PFF

you must be glad though we never jumped on that bandwagon and paid him a ton of $$$ like someone were rallying for

Well, I like using stats from PFF as I don´t have the time to watch every NFL game and record stats for every player. I don´t think their grading system makes a lot of sense though.

I was actually pulling for the Packers to bring in Byrd, but the way he played during the first four games it seems like they made the right decision to not sign him. Four games is a small sample size though.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it would have been prudent for the Packers to have signed Julius Peppers and Jarius Byrd in the same off season considering how much each are due to make, and the guys we have coming up for a new contract.

With that being said through an admittedly small enough sample size it appears Thompson made the right decision in passing on Byrds 6 year $56 million dollar contract in favor of going with the current safety group & drafting Dix as well as signing Peppers to a 3 year $26 million dollar contract. It's basically opportunity cost. Peppers plugged a big hole as a consistent playmaker opposite Matthews, and Dix has stepped in well and made plays as the new guy in the safety group and made much less money than Byrd.

I'm interested to see how Byrd bounces back next year though.