Who would you want as GM?

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious since a few of you know who you hate, then who would you want? One rule is the people must be available and not dead.....

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Walsh, Mark Cuban (wants to be NFL GM, but problem is he also wants to be owner), or Bill Polian (responsible for Bills 4 yr run in the 90's, )

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just curious since a few of you know who you hate, then who would you want? One rule is the people must be available and not dead.....

Brittany Favre.

Then we won't have to hear the *****ing about how the GM is trying to force Brett Favre into retirement.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are those guys "available"? i don't mind thompson, so i don't really have an answer and i don't pretend to have any idea of anyone who could be a possilbe GM.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
are those guys "available"? i don't mind thompson, so i don't really have an answer and i don't pretend to have any idea of anyone who could be a possilbe GM.

Well Bill Polian is the current President of the Colts Organization, but if we offered him enough money he might come this way. LOL

Bill Cower - Im not sure what he's up to, but Id bet he is avaliable.

Bill Walsh - Still has a voice in the 49er Organization but is no longer GM

The rest im not sure about.......

Reaction score
If for whatever reason the Packers had a vacancy at GM, I'd look toward getting people who have experience with successful franchises.

- Tom Heckert, GM of Eagles: He would be my first choice. His first draft (as GM) got the Eagles got them Westbrook, Lito Sheppard, and Sheldon Brown. Was also the GM when AJ Feeley was traded to Fins for second round pick. It doesn't really matter if it was Andy Reid pulling the strings, Heckert would have been exposed to the methods and way to go about things which would be very useful. He was also a member of the player personnel dept. of the Dolphins from 91-00, so he knows about building a solid D to get anywhere in todays NFL.

- Bobby DePaul, Bears director of pro personnel: He has been with the Bears since the 2001 season (when they had a 13-3 year, followed by failing years) and he has remained with the team until their re-emergence past couple of seasons. He'd know how to go about rebuilding a team, and have an idea of what NOT to do when a team has had success.

- Scot McCloughan, 49ers VP of Player Personnel: Ron Wolf describing McCloughan: "He’s very good at what he does and has a tremendous desire to improve...He has an exceptional eye for talent." His father worked under Ron Wolf when Wolf was with the Raiders, and he worked under Wolf when Wolf was with the Packers. Then he made his way to Seattle with Holmgren. He went to the 49ers and blew them up, ready to bring about change. Just two years into his tenure, I'd say the 49ers are headed in the right direction but more importantly, they are on the verge of competing for the playoffs. Reminds me, in some ways, of the job Wolf did in GB.

- Reggie McKenzie, Packers Director of Pro Personnel: Held the same position since 97, when he was promoted by Wolf. Seems to be a candidate for GM vacancies, so I'd think he has potential as a GM.

- Ted Sundquist, Broncos GM: Give him final say over matters, unlike Denver where he answers to the Coach. I really like him, has a scouting background, and has had success with Denver. My 1A choice after Heckert. The questions being answered by Sundquist that I've had a chance to read, he really comes off as a guy knowing his stuff and telling it like it is, holding nothing back, but at the same time trying to be sympathetic with the fans point of view. I respect that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not mine Reggie McKenzie. He's been with the team for so long and he's been with a lot of winning teams.

Scott Pioli would be great too. That's if you could get him out of New England. The Giants couldn't so I doubt the Packers would be able to.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHO GIVES A CRAP WHOSE AVAILABLE... OUR GM IS EVERY BIT AS CAPABLE AS ANY OF THOSE GUYS.
I think he is too.
And theirs NO guarentee that any of those guys would be great.
Heck, they could end up being the next Matt Millen.
Hey, theres an idea........what a way to unite all us fans! We should get MILLEN to be the GM here!
Then we ALL would "hate" him!!!
(We'd have PLENTY of REAL reasons!)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why would that get deleted for being off topic. the freakin thread topic is WHO WOULD YOU WANT AS GM??!

i answered with i would want Ted Thompson as our GM. None of these guys have anything more to offer than what weve seen so far.

RIDICULOUS DELETE! freakin big brother.

haha cheesey
Hey, theres an idea........what a way to unite all us fans! We should get MILLEN to be the GM here!
Then we ALL would "hate" him!!!
(We'd have PLENTY of REAL reasons!)
thats a good point... if packer nation needed to unite... we should bring in Millen. an actually bad GM

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see how anyone could say bill polian woudnt be sucessfull.....He basically matched Jerry Jones talent for talent in the superbowls they faced off in and had twice as low of a salary cap.....For a 4 year period the bills were one of the 2 best teams in the league.....Had it not been for them choking the bills should have at least won one of those matchups with the cowboys.

Also after he finished with the Bills he turned the newly built panthers franchinse into contenders right away. They were also very competetive for a 3-4 year stretch...In fact Im not sure he ever really hasnt been sucessfull.....

Lastly he is now among the top of the colts organization and is given credit for alot of their sucess and the overall direction they are heading....

But in all fairness I seriously doubt he would leave the colts organization, but u never know.....He has moved three times before and all of the moves were while the teams were still sucessful. So that being said I think he would work with the packers, we are the most historic franchinse in the NFL in my opinion.

Here are 8 Facts about Polian:
1. 18 seasons as general manager or president with Indianapolis, Carolina and Buffalo.

2. Polian is in his ninth season with the Colts, where he oversees all football and administrative aspects of the team. Since 1999, the Colts have amassed a 77-35 regular season record, the best in the NFL.

3. Only team to make the playoffs six times in the last seven seasons. Indianapolis has won four division championships during Polian's tenure, and the team's 27 victories from 2003-05 are the highest two-season totals in club history.

4. He helped build Carolina into the winningest expansion franchise in all of sports history, taking the team to the NFC Championship game in its second season.

5. Polian has been a part of nine 11-plus victory seasons during his NFL career and has won a division championship at every stop

6. The Sporting News recognized him as the Executive of the Year for the fifth time in 1999. He is one of three men to win the award multiple times and joins the late George Young as the only executives to earn the honor five or more times.

7.His Buffalo teams reached the Super Bowl three-straight seasons during his tenure and advanced to the big game again the year after he left.

8. In 1985, he was promoted to general manager and helped reverse the Bills' record of 8-40 from 1984-86 to a 58-22 record from 1988-92

---In all fairness I dont think there has been a better GM....Maybe someone started a dynasty with one organization and stayed there, but this guy did it with 3 different teams. thats just unheard of. THIS ISNT A TT KNOCK, but there is noway someone could seriously say they'd rather have TT than Bill...

U asked for who Id rather have and for someone that I feel is available. I believe I have done that. And Although I dislike TT, at least I bring with me a possible solution. Unlike some who just want a change and have no idea where they would want the packers to go. It might be a stretch to get this guy, but hey people also said no one would ever walk on the moon.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Dombrowski, GM of the Detroit Tigers.
I don't care that he is a baseball guy, he definitely has an eye for talent and he is not shy about acquiring pieces to the puzzle.
I'm willing to bet he would be successful as a GM in the NFL.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't rocket science, for GM you want someone who's proven he can build a winning team. That's why I would look to winning organizations like the Patriots, Ravens, Colts and Chargers for their GM or someone on their staff. I also would look at the staffs of teams that have made quick turnarounds lately due to good personnel decisions such as the Saints, Jets and Bears.

The season W/L records of teams TT has been involved in making player personnel decisions have been;

6-10
9-7
7-9
10-6
4-12
8-8

Let's just say, if I were looking for a GM I'd probably look for someone who's been a little more consistently above average than that.

Oh, and I don't hate TT, I just want him to build a winning team someday.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts