When someone targets your QB, you defend your QB. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won't find a bigger Packer fan, but I'm really tired of seeing and hearing my fellow green and gold compadres complain about the "missed referee call" on getting that personal foul squabble settled. Clay Matthews is a tremendous player and made several good plays- that being said he started a fire when he expressed how you stop a guy like Colin Kap. He then proceeds by blatantly diving out of bounds to lay a hit on the QB when he clearly is out of bounds--this was not a mental mistake, this was an aggressive attempt and sending a message.

49'ers had every right to come to their QB's defense, Green Bay would have done the same thing if the situation was reversed. We deserved to be penalized there and I thought it was generous of the refs to basically eliminate the penalty all together. We were given an opportunity to stop them and we failed to, plain and simple.

Tremendous game either way you look at it. Green Bay played an elite team at home and almost beat them. I have a feeling we'll be seeing the 49'ers again in the playoffs, hopefully with both teams healthy. This to me wasn't the revenge game--revenge game comes later. Hats off to you San Fran, your team looks for real, but so are we.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least it wasn't like the Jets/Bucs game where the late hit penalty actually was the reason that Tampa Bay lost the game.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews' late hit also lends credence to Harbaugh's complaints. He doesn't come off as a whiner anymore but as a coach who had a legitimate concern about his QB being targeted.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews' late hit also lends credence to Harbaugh's complaints. He doesn't come off as a whiner anymore but as a coach who had a legitimate concern about his QB being targeted.

Nah, he's still a world class whiner. Solid coach, aggressive play style, smart decisions... but an incredibly loud whiner nonetheless. I've never seen a coach shake their head and yell at the refs as much as he does when GOOD things happen for his team.

"Vernon Davis in for the TD!!!!"

Harbaugh: "HEY! ZEBRA! WHAT WAS THAT? YOU CLEARLY SAW VERNON GO IN UNTOUCHED! THROW THOSE ARMS UP WITH MORE ENTHUSIASM NEXT TIME, WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL!"

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all fairness though, while you could do without having it look like whining, that's what you want your coach to be doing. Your player could walk into the endzone untouched, and while everyone else is celebrating, seeing your coach chew out the refs because they missed an obvious hold/offsides/interference elsewhere is good. He's not pacified by the end result because he knows these things will bite him in the butt later if he doesn't call attention to it now. The key between good and great coaches is to not come off as a whiner to the refs, but as a respectable and reasonable coach with legitimate concerns.

I used to referee. I ignored the coaches that yelled all of the time. Their crap was boring and I couldn't care what they had to say. I'd actively listen to any rational coach, right or wrong, and make corrections and changes as needed.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all fairness though, while you could do without having it look like whining, that's what you want your coach to be doing. Your player could walk into the endzone untouched, and while everyone else is celebrating, seeing your coach chew out the refs because they missed an obvious hold/offsides/interference elsewhere is good. He's not pacified by the end result because he knows these things will bite him in the butt later if he doesn't call attention to it now. The key between good and great coaches is to not come off as a whiner to the refs, but as a respectable and reasonable coach with legitimate concerns.

I used to referee. I ignored the coaches that yelled all of the time. Their crap was boring and I couldn't care what they had to say. I'd actively listen to any rational coach, right or wrong, and make corrections and changes as needed.

I agree with your take on this 100%. This is why, despite my dislike for the man, I very much respect Jim. I still prefer more of the Belichick approach where when you score handle it like a business, move on to the next play and get down to the brass of the situation. Jim does too much honking and wonking for my likings.

Still, nothing compares to the exasperated enthusiasm that Pete Carroll constantly shows. Any time a first down is made seems like he's out there celebrating with his players. Just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staley has done more dirty work in a single game than the entirety of games every player on the packers defense has played combined.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with the Packers 100% right or wrong.
That is being loyal to your team.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big Matthews fan but that was dumb **** (he even said so himself) and I posted that on the shout box at the time.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid penalty by Matthews. He's lucky he didn't get ejected. I'm all for hammering Kapernick but in the legal, good play fashion.
Ejected?! What have you been smoking? It was a late hit - nothing more. Even the retarded announcers said it looked worse than it actually was. As soon as we eject guys for late hits we have a problem.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of refs will turn on a coach that *****es too much.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ejected?! What have you been smoking? It was a late hit - nothing more. Even the retarded announcers said it looked worse than it actually was. As soon as we eject guys for late hits we have a problem.

1) The ejection would be from hitting Staley in the facemask. Twice.
2) Troy Aikman was nuts when he said that. Clay launched himself 2 feet from the sideline and took Kaep down a full 6 yards out of bounds. There is no reason whatsoever to launch yourself from only 2 feet from the sideline.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

I used to coach and I hated refs that ignored my yelling. My crap wasn't boring...it was state-of-the-art, I tell ya.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The "rational" coaches were the boring ones ... phft...

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won't find a bigger Packer fan, but I'm really tired of seeing and hearing my fellow green and gold compadres complain about the "missed referee call" on getting that personal foul squabble settled. Clay Matthews is a tremendous player and made several good plays- that being said he started a fire when he expressed how you stop a guy like Colin Kap. He then proceeds by blatantly diving out of bounds to lay a hit on the QB when he clearly is out of bounds--this was not a mental mistake, this was an aggressive attempt and sending a message.

49'ers had every right to come to their QB's defense, Green Bay would have done the same thing if the situation was reversed. We deserved to be penalized there and I thought it was generous of the refs to basically eliminate the penalty all together. We were given an opportunity to stop them and we failed to, plain and simple.

Tremendous game either way you look at it. Green Bay played an elite team at home and almost beat them. I have a feeling we'll be seeing the 49'ers again in the playoffs, hopefully with both teams healthy. This to me wasn't the revenge game--revenge game comes later. Hats off to you San Fran, your team looks for real, but so are we.
I don't think that anyone has stated that Matthews was undeserving of the penalty, or that what the OL did was entirely unwarranted. However the rules clearly state that there should have been a loss of a down in the situation that occurred. That didn't happen and it lead directly to a TD instead of a FG. The only generosity from the refs at that point was to give the 9'ers another undeserving shot at the end zone. Lets not even get into the whole to decline or not to decline the penalty from one play earlier.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1) The ejection would be from hitting Staley in the facemask. Twice.
2) Troy Aikman was nuts when he said that. Clay launched himself 2 feet from the sideline and took Kaep down a full 6 yards out of bounds. There is no reason whatsoever to launch yourself from only 2 feet from the sideline.

And no reason for Boldin to smack Shields in the face mask either.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I'm with the Packers 100% right or wrong.
That is being loyal to your team.

I believe that I am loyal to the Packers, but I disagree with the choice that Matthews made on making that late hit.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is exactly why BOTH the NFL and Pereira have stated Staley shouldn't have been flagged.

Wait...wha? You can rant all you want...that doesn't make you any less wrong.
Pereira is a hack and the NFL rarely doesn't back up the refs at least in part. Where as you can clearly see the rules called for the flag regardless of how pedestrian it appears. Also those "punches" were more so open palm attempts to move the player out of Clay's personal space. Defend your QB during the play, not after like a mook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts