What's going on at camp

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WE're into camp for almost a week and I'm surprised not to hear more on here about what is happening in camp. I'm curious as to who looks good, who doesn't look good? How are all those rookies doing? What's going on with Hodge? I had high hopes for this kid. He seems to have some knee problems that haven't subsided. From what little I've read, it sounds like Aaron Rogers is looking good. What about Ingle Martin?

Reaction score
Martin isn't looking good thus far. He's not running the O effectively, holding on to the ball too long and not making as crisp throws as you would like to see a QB make.

The problem with saying who looks good is that there are a lot of players that look good, and you can't really get a feel for who is standing out on a consistent basis until a couple of weeks into camp.

But so far, WR James (aka Jimbo) Jones has been impressive in catching the ball, Pope has displayed some good strength that might make our Power RB, and some other players have stood out in other sessions too.

Eventually the people who have had good practices will continue to do so, and make themselves known. It'll take a bit of time to find out exactly who, though.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Brandon Jackson is getting his *** handed to him on a regular basis. I do not look at this as a bad thing. He's a rookie doing more thinking than playing right now and a little humble pie is good for the motivation factor.

Hawk is making sure Brandon doesn't get too cocky out there.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge has struggled a lot this camp. He hasn't been the hitter he was last camp.

As far as the rookies go.

1. Justin Harrell is doing pretty decent. He started very slow and poorly but he seems to improve every single day.

2. Brandon Jackson can't pickup blitzes. He's horrible at it. As far as how he'll do running the ball. We'll know more in pre season. He is pretty elusive and he has a running backs build to him.

3. James Jones - Looks the best out of all the rookies. Looks better than Greg Jennings did last year. Bold statement but I believe it to be the truth and that seems to be the buzz around here. I think he'll have an impact on the team this year baring injuries.

3. Aaron Rouse - Looks pretty solid. I don't know if he'll open as the starter but I think he'll work his way into the lineup if Manuel were to struggle. So far it seems he's out playing Marviel Underwood.

Mason Crosby has pretty much kept it up with Rayner. Very little talk about eithe or right now but the last I heard they're having a heck of a battle.

Korey Hall has worked a little with the 1st team but I haven't seen how well he's reacted to the change to FB. Right now I'd say he's a longshot to start.

Deshawn Wynn has looked okay from what I heard. However the only way he'll make the roster is if the Pack keep a 4th RB or they move him to FB and he plays well there.

I really don't know much about the other guys. Offensive lineman really need to go at it in a game for us to see how well their doing.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge has struggled a lot this camp. He hasn't been the hitter he was last camp.

As far as the rookies go.

1. Justin Harrell is doing pretty decent. He started very slow and poorly but he seems to improve every single day.

2. Brandon Jackson can't pickup blitzes. He's horrible at it. As far as how he'll do running the ball. We'll know more in pre season. He is pretty elusive and he has a running backs build to him.

3. James Jones - Looks the best out of all the rookies. Looks better than Greg Jennings did last year. Bold statement but I believe it to be the truth and that seems to be the buzz around here. I think he'll have an impact on the team this year baring injuries.

3. Aaron Rouse - Looks pretty solid. I don't know if he'll open as the starter but I think he'll work his way into the lineup if Manuel were to struggle. So far it seems he's out playing Marviel Underwood.

Mason Crosby has pretty much kept it up with Rayner. Very little talk about eithe or right now but the last I heard they're having a heck of a battle.

Korey Hall has worked a little with the 1st team but I haven't seen how well he's reacted to the change to FB. Right now I'd say he's a longshot to start.

Deshawn Wynn has looked okay from what I heard. However the only way he'll make the roster is if the Pack keep a 4th RB or they move him to FB and he plays well there.

I really don't know much about the other guys. Offensive lineman really need to go at it in a game for us to see how well their doing.

Thanks for your observations. I would like to add some of my own.

From what I'm reading from John Clayton and Packer beat writers the Oline is "miles ahead" of last season which is going to be HUGE for us this year if true.

Jackson seems to be running ok, but is having trouble catching the ball out of the backfield and can't pass protect to save his life(or the QB's for that matter). James Jones is looking to be the early favorite for the #3 reciever and with his physical abilites combined with hands of glue it seems that won't be such a bad thing even though he's young.

Hawk has apparently had alot of big plays which is quite contrast to last season and is even taking somewhat of a leadership role on the defense already. Our LBer corps is something I look very much forward to this season.

I think Harrell will start eventually, but it will either be 10-16 games into the season or possibly just next year when Williams is likely gone. From what I saw in the practice on tv he seems to have alot of natural power and strength.

Reaction score

Interestingly enough, while McCarthy and many others have compared Jones progression to Jennings', CB Charles Woodson has done the opposite.

He said Jones has been good, but not as good as Jennings was last year.

C-Wood went on to say that you immediately knew there was something about Jennings, and that isn't the same case with Jones. He ended by saying to wait and see until after the first pre-season game to get a better idea of how Jones is coming.

Intersting, I thought.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts