What kind of changes can we expect in the offseason?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we maybe expect a new DC next year? Any other coaching changes? Besides the draft, what sort of player personnel changes do some of you see coming?

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, we're still in the playoff hunt THIS YEAR. We have months and months to talk about this junk when the season is over. Why start now?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I got to thinking about is, have quarless and Bostick done enough to warrant TE not being a huge need in the draft like many thought it would be after Finley went down?

I have to say I'm impressed and if they continue their recent run I would say yes unless a stud fell to us in the second round or something.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, we're still in the playoff hunt THIS YEAR. We have months and months to talk about this junk when the season is over. Why start now?

Never too early to discuss it. I know injuries have sucked yet again this year, but I think a few things need to be addressed on the defensive side of the ball.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The TE spot STILL needs to be addressed. Our current duo is NOT the match up problem that we desperatly need. I would love to see us get a young 6'6" guy with speed and power. That would give us an over the middle threat that we have been lacking since Finn went down.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) An offensive line that shows up every game.
2) A defensive 7 that shows up every game, stops the run and rushes the passer.
3) No injuries.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The TE spot STILL needs to be addressed. Our current duo is NOT the match up problem that we desperatly need. I would love to see us get a young 6'6" guy with speed and power. That would give us an over the middle threat that we have been lacking since Finn went down.

I think if the BPA on Ted's board is a TE he will take him outside of the 1st round if they are able to re-sign Quarless. I think Quarless is an important target to re-sign in that he is probably a better blocker than any guy they could possibly draft.

Don't forget, Bostick has only been on the field for about 6-8 games. What was Finley like at that point in his career? Bostick might possibly become that matchup problem for opposing defenses next year. McCarthy is working him in slowly but he has been getting at least one longer pass thrown to him just about every week since he's been moved up to the active roster.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I got to thinking about is, have quarless and Bostick done enough to warrant TE not being a huge need in the draft like many thought it would be after Finley went down?

I have to say I'm impressed and if they continue their recent run I would say yes unless a stud fell to us in the second round or something.

MM's offense makes TE not a large need. MM was on record as saying that he didn't want to rely on the TE as much after Finley's knee injury knocked him out for the year in 2010. The routes we ask TEs to run are not routes that require a Graham/Gronk/Davis/Thomas. The TE is a release valve in our offense. Those offenses which use athletic TEs don't have the WR group that we do.

Just look at the Bears, they paid decent money for a TE that might, MIGHT, break 700 yards receiving with 7 TDs. Is that really the kind of production that you spend a high draft pick on?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers needs for next year: DEFENSE!

That is all. Rodgers under center with the current oline/WRs/RBs/TEs is plenty to win a Super Bowl. This defense needs help at MLB/DT/S and maybe OLB depending on if you can trust Perry/CM3 to be healthy.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never too early to discuss it. I know injuries have sucked yet again this year, but I think a few things need to be addressed on the defensive side of the ball.

why? are you part of the scouting team?

This season isn't over yet.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why? are you part of the scouting team?

This season isn't over yet.

Season isnt over, but we have an overall body of work for this season to look at to start discussing deficiencies that we see going on and what needs to be replaced and/or fixed come the offseason.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One change this offseason is the offseason program itself. Jason Wilde has an article discussing it.
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=13921&is_corp

I agree with the article: Teams like the Packers who emphasize youth are hurt more than others with the restrictions put in place by the new CBA. I get there has to be restrictions on teams or they’d have players in almost all off season. And I also understand “voluntary” workouts aren’t really voluntary when any coach is involved. Where the article talks about the offseason program being split into 3 phases and it says players who are at the facility “voluntarily are banned from talking football with their coaches or going through playbooks with them”. I’m not sure if that relates only to phase one or during times like in February where players can go to Lambeau and just work out. Either way I think it would make more sense to allow players with one to two seasons in the league the ability to work at their jobs. Even if “voluntary” doesn’t really mean voluntary I don’t see the harm in allowing – or strongly encouraging – young players to learn the playbook with the help of their coaches. It's not adding wear and tear to their bodies.

I got a kick out of McCarthy saying they’ll be using the CRIC (Conditioning, Rehab, Instruction Center) a lot because it doesn’t count as on-field time and therefore avoids the CBA’s restrictions for those kinds of workouts.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...cilities/26df4b65-8c9e-42d6-ae11-d6e937be6d24

I give McCarthy credit for continuing to tweak his offseason plan.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

6403 and 6301 repectively. You can't teach height.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6403 and 6301 repectively. You can't teach height.

We'll draft a tight end or maybe even two, sign a couple UDFA. That will be one of the position battles to watch this year. As a side note, I estimate Finley signing with the dolphins for the playoffs this season and for him to finish his career in Miami. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we maybe expect a new DC next year? Any other coaching changes? Besides the draft, what sort of player personnel changes do some of you see coming?

I think Rodgers and Matthews will retire while Datone Jones will be moved to quality control assistant. It will come to light during the season that Bulaga, while recovering last season, discovered a passion for French cuisine and is leaving the NFL to pursue a culinary degree in Budapest. Our entire secondary will find that they sound amazing while singing Boys II Men songs and they will collectively quit football to pursue their singing careers during our bye week.

As for Capers, he will coach the defense to a top-10 finish but, in a moment of spite towards a hostile fan base, he will give our front seven stool softeners before our first playoff game, leading to the first nfl game to be terminated in the second quarter due to a literally $h1tty field. Capers will be banned from the NFL but write a hugely successful book and use the proceeds to buy the Vikings.

So yes, I think we'll need a new defensive coordinator in 2015 (I'm aware this was written in December, just felt like making next year look good no matter what happens).