1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What are you learning from the combine?

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by Cheesehead625, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    If you want to discuss a different topic I would suggest starting a different thread about that. Just a suggestion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    It certainly matters to a degree but c'mon, let's be realistic. I "get it" that scouts look for certain things that most average fans don't see... but... there is no way anyone is going to tell me that some of these drills do very much to differentiate one guy from the next. Like others have said, doing it on the field is what matters. There is no way I'm buying that game film doesn't have 10 times the value.

3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,666
    The idea is that the performance in the drills should sync up with the eye tests applied to the film. If there is a disconnect, then more work needs to be done.

For example, something as basic as Pryor turning out to be 5'11 instead of 6'2" while posting a less than impressive
    34 1/2" vert and a 4.58 forty might cause one to go back and examine more closely what happened when he was defending the bigger and faster college receivers. It might turn out, after all the Combine numbers are in, that he happened to avoid those situations by happenstance or perhaps design.

4. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    I understand and I can agree with that. All I'm saying is, many of the drills are actually pretty funny to watch when a person actually considers that the "goal" is to differentiate players. Some of the drills I clearly can see how they might impact status.