Watch this guy

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the website KFFL...
-----

Packers | McNeil Hopes NFL Europe Success Carries Him Over to NFL Success
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:55:41 -0700

Chuck Carree, of the Wilmington Star-News, reports Green Bay Packers LB Nick McNeil is hoping a successful season in NFL Europe will be the stepping-stone to a good training camp with the Packers which results in a spot on the team's final roster. McNeil received All-NFL Europe honors as a middle linebacker. The Packers have him listed third team on the depth chart. He likes his chances of making the squad as a backup linebacker. In NFL Europe he played the run well and dropped back in pass coverage to deliver crunching blows to receivers who caught passes in his area. The Packers have publicly lauded his performance in NFL Europe, but he knows training camp matters the most. "He did a good job as a starter in Europe and we're excited to have him back here," Packers' director of player personnel Reggie McKenzie told the Asheville Citizen-Times. "Hopefully his experience overseas will be evident in training camp."

------
By the way....if you aren't a daily viewer of this website...you should be...go to the NFL section and "Hot Off the Wire".

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are his stats:

Nick McNeil #45
Position: Linebacker
College: Western Carolina
NFL Exp: 1 Season
Packers Exp: 1 Season
Ht: 6' 2"
Wt: 245 lbs.
Aquired: FA-05

At A Glance

Re-signed as a free agent on Jan. 10, 2005, after originally joining the team in 2004, via the practice squad on Dec. 2, 2004
Allocated to NFL Europe as a member of the Hamburg Sea Dogs for the 2005 season
Originally signed with Pittsburgh as a non-drafted free agent on April 30, 2004
Waived by the Steelers on Aug. 27
Three-and-a-half year starter for the Catamounts (2000-2003)
Was a three-time All-Southern Conference selection, finishing his Catamounts career with 223 tackles (137 solo), including 45 tackles for loss (tying the school record) and 181/2 sacks, plus four passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries
Ranks sixth on WCU annals career sack list
Totaled 77 tackles (45 solo), including six TFL and one sack, plus two passes defensed, three forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries as a junior in 2002
Named second-team All-Southern Conference by league coaches
Made 46 tackles (29 solo), including an impressive 13 tackles for loss and a league-leading 11 sacks, plus a forced fumble during sophomore campaign
Named to the All-Southern Conference second team by the SoCon Sports Media Association
Played in all 11 games as a redshirt freshman in 2000 and made 37 tackles (23 solo), including six TFL and two sacks
Redshirted during the 1999 season
Also was a member of the track team in college, earning two letters
Holds a bachelor of science degree in computer information with a concentration in business
Prepped at North Brunswick (Leland, N.C.) High School, earning three letters each in football, basketball and track
"Did it all" on the football field, playing linebacker, defensive end, tight end, center, guard and offensive tackle
All-conference selection sophomore through senior year in each sport
State champion in the discus as a senior
Nicknamed 'Mac'
Enjoys going to movies, working out and shooting pool
Wants to go into real estate with his father
Single, resides in Leland, N.C
Given name is Nick Javon McNeil
Born in Newark, N.J.

Copyright

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to be 6th best for chance to make the team.

Barnett
Diggs
Thompson
Navies
Lenon
Popinga

Maybe a shot at practice squad. He has uphill climb just for that.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great to see a guy his size step up and be a good MLB for us. Then we could move Barnett outside. But I don't see that happening.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you but I don't see it either. It would be nice to move Barnett to his natural outside LB position but he'll prove to be a very serviceable, if not better, MLB by default.

BTW - do you all think the Packers will continue to look to move #56 to the outside or do you think after 3 or 4 seasons (if a MLB is not brought in) the Packers will just leave the notion of the move alone?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't seen any mention of his speed. As the post by Bruce pointed out speed at the linebacker position is of greatest importance in Bates' system. I suspect he doesn't have it, since there's no mention of it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
THE GREAT RAY

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JBlood,

I know this is off the subject, but that is one mean looking mother<bleep>!!!

I know a barber from ****inson, ND who was a linebacker for the Lions back in the 60's and he met Mr. Nitschke. He still shudders to this day at how mean this guy was on the field. A lot of the time, Kostelecky would tell me that #66 would look at you and just growl.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPF

My brother was down on the field during halftime of the Icebowl(he had press credentials) and he was amazed at the Nitschke antics before the start of the game. Yelling, challenging, hitting the other players. Kind of in a "zone" I guess you'd say. Geez, those were great years.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey jblood...

here's a suggestion. could you maybe post some smaller pictures in the future? it makes me have to scroll right to read a sentence, then scroll back left to start the next sentence...big pain in the butt.

thanks.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
hey jblood...

here's a suggestion. could you maybe post some smaller pictures in the future? it makes me have to scroll right to read a sentence, then scroll back left to start the next sentence...big pain in the butt.

thanks.

Or he could do the picture attachment instead of hot linking them? Then again you can't write between them then. Ah well never can win can ya?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy to downsize the pics, but how exactly do I do that?? I'm just copying and pasting them as I find them. Any suggestions?? I'm pretty computer illiterate.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JBlood said:
I'd be happy to downsize the pics, but how exactly do I do that?? I'm just copying and pasting them as I find them. Any suggestions?? I'm pretty computer illiterate.

you could save them to your comp and post them as attachments. to check out the tutorial Click Here.

i would just recommend linking smaller pics though... :idea:

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on topic....those of you who think either Navies or Lenon are going to make the squad are smoking wacky week. Big and slow and on top of it, ineffective.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Youre the one smoking wacky weed if you think Navies won't make the squad. In fact, they both probably will. Sad, but true. Who did the Packers get that is going to knock Navies off the squad? I hope you're right because an upgrade there would be fantastic. Unfortunately, that upgrade is currently not signed with the Pack.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No weed here. No takers in free agency says it all about ability. McNeil and Popinga will get long looks. McNeil will back up Barnett. Popinga will back up Thompson. Look for one of these two to make it: Zak Woodfin or Roy Manning. No Torrence "Box of Rocks" Marshall to kick around anymore.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really have to like the way Ted Thompson has set up the competiton for this year's training camp. It is going to be one of the best in years.

At this point let's just see the competition in action. All spots will be earned (except Rogers).

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa!!! Slow down net...

net said:
Back on topic....those of you who think either Navies or Lenon are going to make the squad are smoking wacky week. Big and slow and on top of it, ineffective.

While Ted has brought in some kids with some talent to set up competition, you are wrong on Navies' speed and on Lennon's effectiveness. Both know and can play all three positions -- you are proposing going with three Rookies as backups???

As much respect as I have for you my brother net, I think it is you who has been smoking on this one, because while one may go, no way do both.

Hannibal Navies, 6-2 250 lbs, is a man who can play all three linebacker positions (and has in his career).
He ran 4.62 40-yard dash coming out of college -- which is impressive for a man his size.
He will fight and push to retain his starting job, but is most likely destine to back up all three LB spots in 2005.
If he is healthy, it is possible he may fight off the competition,
that is if he can convince Bates he is the right man for the job.
Hannibal, who after a solid 2003, where he garnered 87 tackles and 17 assists, was once again bitten by the injury bug in 2004.
He may benefit from being a back up and situational player rather than a full-timer.
He has been and should continue to be outstanding on special teams.
He has a very good size-speed package and can get after the passer.
Has some games where he's always around the ball. Holds the point of attack and can cover most TE's in coverage.

Paris Lenon is a LB who hangs on every year despite being written off each season.
At 6-2 245 lbs he makes the most of what God has given him.
He is a warrior who out works the competition.
He is the last to leave the workout room and the last to leave film studies.
Because of his dedication, he can play all three LB positions, which adds to his value.
And to list him only as a MLB is a misrepresentation of his spot on the depth charts where he is a first line back up.
He is also a premium special teams player -- among the team leaders each season and posting the 4th best total in Packer history.
When he was called upon to start against Detroit for example, he responded with 10 tackles.
I know we want all of our backups to be potential All Pros,
but realistically Paris Lenon is the kind of Veteran leader who pays back way more than the value of his contract every day.

I will close by letting Paris speak for himself

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
You really have to like the way Ted Thompson has set up the competiton for this year's training camp. It is going to be one of the best in years.

At this point let's just see the competition in action. All spots will be earned (except Rogers).

Right on comments from the man from the other state with the cheese!!! (For those of you who don't understand, California's dairy industry has some of the most clever and creative ads promoting its cheese).

Ted has set up competition across the board. Say what you will, but training camp will not be boring.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
No weed here. No takers in free agency says it all about ability. McNeil and Popinga will get long looks. McNeil will back up Barnett. Popinga will back up Thompson. Look for one of these two to make it: Zak Woodfin or Roy Manning. No Torrence "Box of Rocks" Marshall to kick around anymore.

Shoulder surgery is what kept Navies from big offers in free agency.
Lenon made it clear from day one that he only was interested in playing for the Packers, and the Pack did not hesitate to bring him back -- he is like having an extra LB coach, is assignment reliable and plays big on special teams.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I LOVE JBLOOD'S PICTURES...

JBlood said:

JBlood's your pictures ROCK!!! Do not change them, you are the Ansil Adams of Packer forums. I love your selection of shots and timing in presentation.

No disrespect intended to arrowgargantuan or others, but give JBlood the artist/historian the props he so richly deserves -- my brother blood is one of the main reasons I like this forum.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: I LOVE JBLOOD'S PICTURES...

Bruce said:
JBlood said:

JBlood's your pictures ROCK!!! Do not change them, you are the Ansil Adams of Packer forums. I love your selection of shots and timing in presentation.

No disrespect intended to arrowgargantuan or others, but give JBlood the artist/historian the props he so richly deserves -- my brother blood is one of the main reasons I like this forum.

JBlood and Bruce, just keep doin what your doin. Love your posts and the pics and insite you bring with them.

Members online

Latest posts