Training Camp begins in less than a week!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Time!
by Tromadz

I don't know about you guys, but the football season snuck up on me, and I like it!

TRAINING CAMP

Training camp kicks off Saturday, July 28th. I personally love training camp because of the mystery. Most fans have high hopes for all of the newly acquired players, but the bottom line is you do not know how they will do. Training camp is the reality. Last year we had high hopes for wide receivers Cory Rodgers and Greg Jennings. A couple weeks into training camp it was obvious one of them was legit, one of them wasn’t. Cory Rodgers was cut before the regular season started, and Greg Jennings won the hearts of Packers fans with his hustle and hard play.

The new players will begin to show their true colors in training camp. A lot of questions need to be answered. A couple are:

- Are any of the young safeties (Culver, Underwood, Rouse) going to step up and take the SS job away from the mediocre Marquand Manuel?

- Can Justin Harrell crack the starting lineup? Can he be healthy enough to be effective at all?

- Who will jump out of the gate faster and make the starting RB job theirs, Morency or Jackson?

- Rookie James Jones sounds like another winner at WR, but can his good play carry on through training camp and into the regular season?

- Rookie David Clowney is fast, but does he have the hands and route running skills to be a legit threat at wide receiver?

- Green Bay has 2 solid Kickers, 1 will be leaving. Who stays? Mason Crosby or Dave Rayner?

- Who the hell is our starting fullback?!

Training camp is fun because it begins to answer a lot of these questions and more. Starting off strong this training camp will be crucial due to the open competition at key positions (RB,FB,SS,K).

Packers.com will have its daily audio and video interviews after practices, so it will be easy getting some insight on certain situations. I’m sure fans here at Packerforum.com will have camp reports firsthand or from various internet sources. It is the first peek at what will be the 2007 Green Bay Packers. After that, things get more serious…

PRESEASON

The first preseason game is August 11th @ Pittsburgh. We will finally get a first game glimpse of some of these young kids. Training camp is one thing, but in the end, it is how you do on the field on gamedays that will seal your fate. Last year, The starting safety spot was everyones except Marquand Manuel’s, who was getting outplayed by younger players. However, due to injury, Manuel unfortunately got the nod and played the position the entire year. Hopefully injuries will not strike again.

Preseason is NOT to be judged on wins or losses, but on individual growth. There will be a lot of mixing and matching at positions, to see who can get it done. The running back spot will be very hard to keep track of as Jackson comes in, then Morency, then Wynn, then Jackson some more, then Wynn again, then Herron.

What is important is what the coaches see, and the adjustments they make so when the games begin to matter, they have what they believe to be the best recipe to getting wins. While training camp begins to answer the above questions, preseason is the final verdict of most of them. Starters will be named. Respect will be earned. Young players will find their identity on this football team, and hopefully the winning that Green Bay ended the 2006 campaign with carries on into the 2007 season.

Get your cheesehead hats out of the closet! Football season is near!

I'm just excited football season is finally here. Excuse my giddyness!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't watched Sportscenter on purpose in over a month now. Pretty soon I'll be watching it almost every day, in hopes of seeing reports from NFL training camps. I'm ready for football.

Regarding the fullback position, the starter as of now is Brandon Miree. He started last season and did an okay job, though he missed some time due to injury. Possibly one of these young guys could challenge him for the starting job.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before this turns into a "why can't we sign anyone" thread, I too am beyond ready for the Pack. Good article Trom, it didn't hit me how close we are to gameday. For me, my priority questions are in a little different order.

1) HB. No bigger or more important question.
2) Favre. Exciting year for the record books. Will he extend his legend, or hurt is legacy?
3) KGB. Last chance.
4) Who steps up as a co-leader with Favre?

I 'frickin can't wait.

Reaction score
Good article Trom, especially the bit about not judging the preseason on Wins and Losses.

One thing that I am really eager to see is how much Rodgers has improved. We've heard reports that he's getting the O scheme much better, and now doubt he should be more comfortable with the plays after spending a year learning.

I'm also eager to see how Colledge and Spitz have improved. Both needed to add strength, and we'll get a better idea of how much stronger they are in the preseason games.

Finally, I wonder how McCarthy will adapt his play calling. Tomlin was the DC for the Vikes last year, so McCarthy knows a little bit about him. It'll be interested to see how he formulates a game plan against a bright and upcoming D oriented coach (who actually has good D players at his disposal; players that can play both the run AND the pass).

Can't wait. :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Finally, I wonder how McCarthy will adapt his play calling. Tomlin was the DC for the Vikes last year, so McCarthy knows a little bit about him. It'll be interested to see how he formulates a game plan against a bright and upcoming D oriented coach (who actually has good D players at his disposal; players that can play both the run AND the pass).

I think game-planning is pretty much nonexistent during the preseason, and play-calling is based mostly on which plays the coach wants to work on, rather than what will work. The exception is week #3 of the preseason, which is generally used as the dress rehearsal for the regular season.

In the preseason, I'm mostly interested in individual matchups: receivers vs. cornerbacks, O-linemen vs. D-linemen, and so forth. And the Steelers are a pretty solid team that should provide a decent measuring stick for our players.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another question :

Can Hawk and Kampman have as much as an impact, as they will probably have attention on them from opponents this season?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
mike_donnelly said:
another question :

Can Hawk and Kampman have as much as an impact, as they will probably have attention on them from opponents this season?

Excellent comment!

My answer, the more attention that is paid upon Kampman and Hawk, the more Barnett and others will flourish.

We have a sneaky good defense. It's something I continuously have been reading from the 'national' people. (im not saying we have a good defense because of what the national people are saying, im jus noting that even they realize it)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike_donnelly said:
another question :

I do not know much, but I think I do know this.....

Hawk is going to have a pro bowl season thanks to T.T. and his first round draft pick.

Jon Ryan is going to take the punting game to a new level due to his time getting familiar with the NFL Ball, and field.

Brett is going to prove the naysayers wrong.... He always has raised to the top when the challenge is deep. This year he is in his element "Extremely Doubted."

2007 is going to be a season long example (From a perspective standpoint.) of the step up to the challenge attitude that is part of his very being like he displayed in the Raiders Game after his father passed.

Brett is like a fierce free agent with something to prove. He will step up so at the end of the year he can demand a trade to a Super Bowl contender.

Brett will not retire a Packer. I will bet my left nut on it.

This is his year to sell himself for another Super Bowl opportunity, and he will step up because all great players today are concerned about them self first.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

WTF????? :rubeyes: I know this has been talked about a thousand times over, but Brett has said he wants to retire a Packer...I would bet $10 or something instead of your left nut if I was you, RP. :twocents:

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
mike_donnelly said:
another question :

Jon Ryan is going to take the punting game to a new level due to his time getting familiar with the NFL Ball, and field.

I always thought he kicked very well, it was the special teams coverage that was lacking, I hope we do a lot of special teams practice in training camp, like it or not, it all starts there. Field position is crucial.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
....Brett will not retire a Packer. I will bet my left nut on it....

Hey RP, that is a pretty "high cost" bet!.... Might wanna re-think that. :razz:

Remember this? :rotflmao:

Raider Pride said:
I am so confident that this trade (Randy Moss to Green Bay) will happen that I will go out on the line and say.... If it does not happen you can all take a vote, run a poll, and if you vote that Raider Pride is full of crap, well then I will never post another thing on this forum. Never.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

WTF????? :rubeyes: I know this has been talked about a thousand times over, but Brett has said he wants to retire a Packer...I would bet $10 or something instead of your left nut if I was you, RP. :twocents:
He HAS to bet his "left nut!"
(He already lost his right one when he bet Favre would retire last year!)
LOLOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
mike_donnelly said:
another question :

I do not know much, but I think I do know this.....

Hawk is going to have a pro bowl season thanks to T.T. and his first round draft pick.

Brett is going to prove the naysayers wrong.... He always has raised to the top when the challenge is deep. This year he is in his element "Extremely Doubted."

2007 is going to be a season long example (From a perspective standpoint.) of the step up to the challenge attitude that is part of his very being like he displayed in the Raiders Game after his father passed.

Brett is like a fierce free agent with something to prove. He will step up so at the end of the year he can demand a trade to a Super Bowl contender.

This is his year to sell himself for another Super Bowl opportunity, and he will step up because all great players today are concerned about them self first.

By next year we will be in as good of a position to compete as anybody that would need Brett Favre. The other legitimate teams already have that postion nailed down which is why they are legitimate contenders in the first place.
I doubt there's any greener grass out there for him then right where he is. By next season this team will have the things it has been lacking. Maturity and experience.
Exactly what team needing a QB will he have a better chance with? It ain't out there.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Raider Pride said:

He HAS to bet his "left nut!"
(He already lost his right one when he bet Favre would retire last year!)
LOLOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

I guess that would make him like Walter Peck in Ghostbusters. I cannot remember the exact line, No, it's true he has no nuts.

http://www.movievillains.com/archives/2002/03/walter_peck.html

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article trom. I'll put myself out there and answer your questions on what I think will happen. :)

- Are any of the young safeties (Culver, Underwood, Rouse) going to step up and take the SS job away from the mediocre Marquand Manuel?

I really think Rouse will. He has the size and speed. His awareness can't be as bad as Manuel's either. Once he gets used to the speed I think he'll emerge as the starter. I also like Underwood to be the top backup so I could see Manuel cut loose.

- Can Justin Harrell crack the starting lineup? Can he be healthy enough to be effective at all?

I think he'll be the 3rd man in our rotation but Corey Williams and Ryan Pickett will start in my opinion. I think he'll start slow but finish strong in the pre season and he'll be a good 3rd DT in our rotation. A big upgrade from last year in my opinion.

- Who will jump out of the gate faster and make the starting RB job theirs, Morency or Jackson?

I don't think either one is going to jump out of the gate and be the man right away. I think Morency will start the season but eventually Brandon Jackson will be the starting running back in my opinion.

- Rookie James Jones sounds like another winner at WR, but can his good play carry on through training camp and into the regular season?

I think he'll be an upgrade from last year but I'm not expecting huge things out of him. A decent #3 to start the year but I still like Clowney better as a prospect in the future.

- Rookie David Clowney is fast, but does he have the hands and route running skills to be a legit threat at wide receiver?

My gut is telling me he'll emerge as a deep threat this season. I wouldn't expect great things across the middle but I could see Favre hitting him deep for two or three scores. Just a hunch.

- Green Bay has 2 solid Kickers, 1 will be leaving. Who stays? Mason Crosby or Dave Rayner?

I wouldn't call either or solid but Rayner goes and Crosby stays.

Same guy who started a few games last year. Brandon Miree.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article trom. I'll put myself out there and answer your questions on what I think will happen. :)

I really think Rouse will. He has the size and speed. His awareness can't be as bad as Manuel's either. Once he gets used to the speed I think he'll emerge as the starter. I also like Underwood to be the top backup so I could see Manuel cut loose.

I think he'll be the 3rd man in our rotation but Corey Williams and Ryan Pickett will start in my opinion. I think he'll start slow but finish strong in the pre season and he'll be a good 3rd DT in our rotation. A big upgrade from last year in my opinion.

I don't think either one is going to jump out of the gate and be the man right away. I think Morency will start the season but eventually Brandon Jackson will be the starting running back in my opinion.

I think he'll be an upgrade from last year but I'm not expecting huge things out of him. A decent #3 to start the year but I still like Clowney better as a prospect in the future.

My gut is telling me he'll emerge as a deep threat this season. I wouldn't expect great things across the middle but I could see Favre hitting him deep for two or three scores. Just a hunch.

I wouldn't call either or solid but Rayner goes and Crosby stays.

Same guy who started a few games last year. Brandon Miree.

Porky88

Your right as rain, Trom set this up well, as always.

I love your feed back on this, and thank's for taking the time to break it down point by point. You make it easy to read this great web site, and Sir. I thank you for that, as well as the time and effort you put into making your points so readable.

GREAT POST.

R.P.

R.P.

generalbo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Favre will be practicing when training camp starts, or if he is still recovering from his surgery?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
excellent questions Trom.
It is amazing how the next few weeks are going to give us a better picture of what to expect for the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts