Timeouts before/during field goals....what I"m waiting for..

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking a timeout right before the other teams kicks it seems like the trendy thing to do right now. And its kind of annoying. One of these times its going to backfire. What I'm waiting for, is a team to miss the field goal, but get another chance because the other team called a timeout. Then they make the second try. And hopefully its the Packers making that kick.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Timeouts before/during field goals....what I"m waiting f

I don't like it either. Especially when it's done right as the ball is kicked. I have NO problem with it if it's done to ice the kicker as he's out on the field waiting for the team to set up for the kick. But i think it's BS to allow a team to stop the play once the ball is being snapped.
I think their should be a rule to stop teams from doing that. JMO

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have hated this for years, and I am glad that there is finally some talk about getting it corrected. I don't even like icing the kicker, because it annoys fans and adds nothing to the game.

A reasonable solution is to not allow a timeout by the defense on field goal attempts with less than ten seconds left on the play clock. An even better solution is to allow no timeouts by the defense on field goal attempts, period. There's no need for them anyway.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought the rule didn't allow the call during a snap? That's crazy if it does!

You are right about there being no need for it, it's not like the offense can set up some special formation that the defense needs to adjust to.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The call the t/o right b4 the ball is snapped, the coaches tell the refs they are going to do it..

Nothing in the rules saying you cant

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just good strategy. I don't see the problem

It's good strategy, but only because the rules allow it. I can't blame coaches for exploiting a loophole in the rules to the fullest.

But the real question is, what does it add to the game? I think it adds nothing except annoyance. It doesn't even add advertising revenue because by that point in the game the TV networks have used up all their ads.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't do anything, it's just annoying. Take hundreds of kicks in practice, it's just annoying like they are making some huge difference by taking a time out. If "icing the kicker" is some great strategy, it seems to me the rest of your game planning must have been horrible to try and rely on that to keep the lead.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how often this happens after the first kicked is missed and the second chance kick from the time out loses the game because the kicker redeems himself.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how often this happens after the first kicked is missed and the second chance kick from the time out loses the game because the kicker redeems himself.

Someone allready mentioned that and I think that wouild be funny as he11..

thats when coaches might stop doing it

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

It's good strategy, but only because the rules allow it. I can't blame coaches for exploiting a loophole in the rules to the fullest.

But the real question is, what does it add to the game? I think it adds nothing except annoyance. It doesn't even add advertising revenue because by that point in the game the TV networks have used up all their ads.
I agree. I don't blame the coaches for doing it, as it's legal. I just don't like it.
I can't wait for it to backfire on someone! (as long as it's not us!)

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
KGB94SACKEM said:

I agree. I don't blame the coaches for doing it, as it's legal. I just don't like it.
I can't wait for it to backfire on someone! (as long as it's not us!)

Thats what im hoping for aswell

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a former holder for our placekicker, I would've liked to go beat the sh__ out of the *** that called time out. Get down in position; knees going to hell; get spot on field to place ball; worry about 250 pound gorilla on outside right who keeps slobbering foam from the mouth; see idiot on other side of line of scrimmage jumping up and down and telling you all about your girlfriend....and then they call time out.

Bunch of jerks.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost!! I did get the chance to to be on the opposing sideline when one lousy Norwegian Skiier named Stenerud kicked a 57 yarder to beat us in the last 3 seconds. This after I had just put down the "perfect" hold for our kicker who careened one through off the right upright.

By perfect, I mean the ball was somewhere between laying flat on the ground and upright/tilt to the right.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Almost!! I did get the chance to to be on the opposing sideline when one lousy Norwegian Skiier named Stenerud kicked a 57 yarder to beat us in the last 3 seconds. This after I had just put down the "perfect" hold for our kicker who careened one through off the right upright.

By perfect, I mean the ball was somewhere between laying flat on the ground and upright/tilt to the right.

Hmmmm Jan career long was 54 yards per NFL stats (well as far back as they kept the longest (1974)).. say it ain't so Bob :razz:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MontanaBob said:

Hmmmm Jan career long was 54 yards per NFL stats (well as far back as they kept the longest (1974)).. say it ain't so Bob :razz:
Nah.....it was FRED Stenerud. Jan's second cousin! :lol:

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey MB, is the the one that you are talking about ?

"While attending Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana, he (Stenerud) joined the football team and in 1964 kicked a 59-yard field goal, then a college football record, against the rival Montana Grizzlies."

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the one. I was off by 2 yards. Who the hell cared at that time. All I remember is telling the guy next to me, "if he makes this I'm gonna break his leg." Well, he did, and I didn't break his leg, but did shake his hand afterward. Little did I, or anyone at the game, know what was in store for this skinny Norwegian kid who kicked funny.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the one. I was off by 2 yards. Who the hell cared at that time. All I remember is telling the guy next to me, "if he makes this I'm gonna break his leg." Well, he did, and I didn't break his leg, but did shake his hand afterward. Little did I, or anyone at the game, know what was in store for this skinny Norwegian kid who kicked funny.
Wow....i didn't realize you were SERIOUS!!! :shock:
Well....he DID end up playing for the Packers! :lol:

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am waiting for the defense to BLOCK the kick, only to have had their coach call the time out and then have the kicker make the next one. Now THAT would be B-E-A-utiful!!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am waiting for the defense to BLOCK the kick, only to have had their coach call the time out and then have the kicker make the next one. Now THAT would be B-E-A-utiful!!!!
Sooner or later something like thats gonna happen. Maybe that will stop them from doing that.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts