This Team Needs a Reggie White

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great to have a Reggie White type player, but what we need as much if not more is a Reggie White type presence in the locker room. We need someone on this team to step up and be a leader. A leader contacts the boys not here and tells them to get their butts in here. Now to do that, you have to be a highly respected and admired as a good player, a good person and someone who can take you to where you want to go. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if we have that on this team. Brett used to be that type of player, but since the Walker fiasco he's quieted down. I'm not sure you're ever going to see that kind of reckless leadership from him again. So if not Brett, who can it be? These types of players are "difference makers".

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see even a shadow of a Reggie White type leader on our Roster.

In the future perhaps Hawk will step up and fill the bill. For the present perhaps Charles Woodson will step up and be a leader-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------if he ever shows up.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White stood by what he believed. He practiced it in his daily life. Today, there arn't many people left like that. I don't know if we ever will see that type again.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself packedhouse, Favre is still the leader and will be as long as he's playing. He doesn't do alot of rah rah stuff but he is always respected in the lockerroom. Some of the young guys need to take his lead and I think guys like A.J. Hawk, Collins etc will back him up come camp time.

I actually think Kampman can be a leader also.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could totally use another Reggie White. While we're at it we can through in a couple more Brett Favre's, a Barry Sanders, maybe a couple Mike Singletarys, lets throw in a Kirby Puckett also. I know he was a baseball player, but he was a great dude.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but every team would like a Reggie Wgite type. Besides Julius Peppers, I don't see any domiant gamechangers at DE who play great against the run and the pass. Kampy, KGB, and the rest of the DL will be suitable. Pickett, Cole, Jenkins, Montegery, etc will be a good supporting cast in the pass rush. Just watch, the defense is going to be okay, top 10 for sure.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't think there ever will be another Reggie White-type. When I think of him happening again, I think its about as likely as another Michael Jordan or Barry Sanders. For me, I really don't see it happening.

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this question refer to the talent of Reggie White ? Or the character and leadership on and off the field, of Reggie White ? Their will never be another Reggie White, it would be cool if the Packers got a DE that is comparable to Reggie White, but he is a legend the likes of which will never be seen.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certain players come around once in a lifetime and Reggie fits that category as does #4. I think that's what made the SB champion team so special. Favre, White, Butler, and the list goes on with those 'type' of guys.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Certain players come around once in a lifetime and Reggie fits that category as does #4. I think that's what made the SB champion team so special. Favre, White, Butler, and the list goes on with those 'type' of guys.

I am really glad it was the Packers who gave Reggie his only trophy.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my favorite memories was Reggie parading around the Superdome with the Lombardi Trophy held above his head. If anyone deserved to do that, it was Reggie.

God rest his soul.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie was unique. Arguably the best D-lineman of all time. He was a leader by example, the type of person who would give you the shirt off his back. He really cared about people. Unique in his era in that he didnt see a black person or a white person. A person was a person and he was going to love them just the same. He and Brett were and allways will be my favorite players ever.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly appears that all of you feel as strongly about the the character and talent of Reggie that I feel. I can't help but feel that one strong character, who doesn't really care what the others think, but says the right things is what will help to turn this team around. I agree that it can be Brett. I just hate to have players standing up taking a stand on issues that the coaches and GM should be doing. It was TT's job and Mike Shermans job to let Javon know that he's under contract and should be in working out, not Brett. Brett has to play with these guys. You can't put a player in that rough spot. On the other hand, Reggie didn't care one way or the other of anyone wanted to hear him or not. His character was beyond reproach. (although the church issue and all the money collected to rebuild his church still boggles my mind) We just need someone with some character to be getting in the faces of Woodson and the like, and telling them, this is their team now and they need to be in here working to build this team.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noisey Packer Fan said:
This I totaly disagree with this,all most every thing Favre learnd about leadership he got from Reggie

GakkofNorway said:
Favre is a much greater leader than White ever was.

Noisy.....that is not true. Reggie came to Green Bay because of Favre, in part. In fact when he arrived he stated that this was Favre's team not his. I am not for a second diminishing Reggie White's leadership but Brett Favre is a natural leader and was before Reggie came along.

A natural leader is someone that people WANT to be around and WANT to follow. Reggie White WANTED to be around Brett Favre.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:

Strongly disagree. Favre isn't near as outspoken as White. White was the leader of the locker room when we won the Super Bowl. Favre would be the first to say that.

Edit: White would be the one to give the locker room speeches, White would be the one the players went to. White was "thee" leader of that team.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
alot of reggie's leadership abilities came from his strong religious beliefs. that in itself made him a very unique individual in the nfl. suffice it to say he'd be a nearly impossible act to follow.

Noisey Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Noisey Packer Fan said:
This I totaly disagree with this,all most every thing Favre learnd about leadership he got from Reggie

GakkofNorway said:

Noisy.....that is not true. Reggie came to Green Bay because of Favre, in part. In fact when he arrived he stated that this was Favre's team not his. I am not for a second diminishing Reggie White's leadership but Brett Favre is a natural leader and was before Reggie came along.
A natural leader is someone that people WANT to be around and WANT to follow. Reggie White WANTED to be around Brett Favre.

To get a real good insight into this subject you should read Reggies book IN THE TRENCHES It is a good read and I do agree that part of the reason Reggie came to Green Bay was Favre but in the book it was mostly due to the fact Reggie knew Farve was going to win a superbowel and Reggie really wanted to help with that.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson a leader?? NEVER. He's already shown that by not appearing at any OTA's. Forget him. The only one that might develop into a leader in the future is Hawk, IMO. He is totally into football, much like Kampman. His dedication and all-out effort will inspire others and thus he becomes a leader if he never opens his mouth in the lockerroom. Reggie is a once-in-a-lifetime player. Don't look for another any time soon.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Woodson a leader?? NEVER. He's already shown that by not appearing at any OTA's. Forget him. The only one that might develop into a leader in the future is Hawk, IMO. He is totally into football, much like Kampman. His dedication and all-out effort will inspire others and thus he becomes a leader if he never opens his mouth in the lockerroom. Reggie is a once-in-a-lifetime player. Don't look for another any time soon.

I agree with everything you said. In fact to go into it more, one of Hawks best traits is his leadership ability. Kampman I think is the leader on the defensive side of the ball as well, with Barnett being maybe that ball of energy. As for Woodson, he's got a lot to prove. Maybe not to himself but to the Packer fans and the rest of the NFL.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
porky88 said:
retiredgrampa said:
Woodson a leader?? NEVER. He's already shown that by not appearing at any OTA's. Forget him.
As for Woodson, he's got a lot to prove. Maybe not to himself but to the Packer fans and the rest of the NFL.

watch out or the Joker will strike

I'm not going to refrain from my posts, because one member's favorite player seems to be in questioned. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts