This draft is pivotal

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the most important draft of the Ted Thompson era. He has begun to put the pieces in place to build a really good team. The problem is that he didn't fill any holes through free agency and therefore for the Packers to improve upon their record from last year he has to count on every player from last year getting better and finding some players that can eventually be starters. He needs to draft a running back that can be a starter in the NFL. He's got a couple of guys who can back up, now he needs the star. I think that is going to be the most important element of this draft. He also needs to find a safety, corner, tight end and some depth on the offensive line. We'll find out this year what Ted is made of.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, Packedhouse01. This team is either on the cusp of big improvement or a slide into deeper mediocrity, both of which could be long-term. Yet, in spite of our need to hit on every pick, if TT can make a trade to get a proven vet as opposed to an unproved rookie, this may be the most powerful and effective means to an end. I don't believe Moss is that player. He just would NOT be in on most plays as a WR. I look at deals like possibly; Turner from S.D., Jenkins from Carolina, etc. Both these guys would fill a big need and are proven, yet young guys. (relatively speaking.) At this point in time, more rookies/inexperienced players, who will need time to develope can't logically impact our team to improve. I'm againest adding a 30+yr. old guy as his impact would be short-term. We've got the money to acquire/sign a solid vet, or we could sign a high priced rookie with the same money. To me it's a no-brainer. If TT has been hanging onto the cap money just to get Moss signed, I'll be very disappointed in him. One player with questionable attitude is not the answer for us.

Reaction score
I agree with you completely packedhouse01, this draft is really huge for us.

I would just disagree with you on the O-line depth. We have Moll, who can start anywhere on the line (while doing a decent job) and has great potential, and then there is Junius Coston who was in the running for a G spot last year (competing at the LG positions with Colledge I believe). We have some young building blocks, and if I remember correctly, Coston also has experience playing C in college (he was listed as a C/G when he got drafted).

I think perhaps Ted will spend one late 2nd day pick on the o-line and that is cool, but I wouldn't say we need depth at the position.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think this is a pivotal draft for Ted Thompson and the Packers.

If TT is the great talent evaluator and shrewd GM many think he is, we'll see holes filled, players develop and a definite step forward in the competitiveness and on-field production of the team. And if that's the case, we should be not only be in the running for the playoffs but challenging the Bears for the NFC North title.

But if this team continues the trend towards mediocrity that the 12-20 record the last two years would seem to indicate, people will simply have to quit looking for excuses and start questioning why TT and the Packers haven't been any more successful than they've been under his direction.

Should be an interesting draft, and year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this as a big year as well but put it under '06 somewhat.

We were coming off of 4-12 and needing players that fit the zone system on "0" along with a need just about everywhere on "D".

The timing was great because we drafted high for the first time in years and it was a very deep draft talent wise.

If, in fact, we turn this around pretty quickly I think the people will be looking to that draft as the turning point for us.

What we need this year is to polish off a few positions where we are still lacking the talent we need and the challenge is this draft class is not as deep talent wise.

It's critical, IMO, because we are going to have to go to those positions where the production is so critical to our success like RB and WR and we really cannot afford to miss.

Missing here would probably mean we don't improve as much as we all hope we will. TT's going to earn it big time in this draft.

Members online

Latest posts