They really need to make this change to stop helmet/helmet hits

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If an H-H hit happens during a fumble recovery or interception, give the ball back to the offensive team and add on 15 yards.
If they do this, we will not see any more dangerous H-H hits.
Otherwise, I am not taking the idea of player safety seriously.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negating a turnover would stop the targeting ! I also think that if a player taking a hemet to helmet hit gets hurt, the player doing the targeting should be held out a minimum of two weeks.

John Kowalczyk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it is unfair for the fact that the game would have easily changed the outcome with Adams in for the rest of the game as he was making a big impact before that and he was 1 less wide receiver the Panthers didn’t have to guard. It’s funny how the person who puts the hit on him gets to place for the rest of the game when technically he should’ve been either ejected right away or have the same concussion rule apply to him as there were 2 heads that collided. Suspending the players is not changing the game and is literally doing nothing, they need to suspend these clear and obvious hits with them being gone for the rest of the season of 16 games along with it stretching to the next season if the hit comes late in the season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the ultimate solution for this is, but it needs to be addressed immediately.

That was one of the most blatantly dirty hits I've seen in quite a while. It's not like he was trying to make a play on the ball, or trying to tackle him. He lunged head first into Adams' helmet.

And then they show the clip of him on the sidelines looking "remorseful". Get the **** out of here with that garbage.

John Kowalczyk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the ultimate solution for this is, but it needs to be addressed immediately.

That was one of the most blatantly dirty hits I've seen in quite a while. It's not like he was trying to make a play on the ball, or trying to tackle him. He lunged head first into Adams' helmet.

And then they show the clip of him on the sidelines looking "remorseful". Get the **** out of here with that garbage.
He was looking remorseful because that hit in the head probably knocked his brain back into some sense and I love how the announcers downplay it because he looked like he made a mistake when that was clearly intentional, there was no reason to even tackle Adams in the position he was at that point. The sideline crap about remorse was probably him worried about his own head and why he’s losing the rest of his brain cells. Also, Adams giving the fan the finger is understandable especially since this is the second time he has been hit and they were both hits that could have ended his career.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious suspensions in lieu of fines, period, with consistent enforcement. No picking and choosing depending on the offender or victim. The fines aren't meaningful with the kind of money these guys make.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only remorse he had was when he realized how it was going to affect his pay check WHEN the fine is handed down.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negating a turnover would stop the targeting ! I also think that if a player taking a hemet to helmet hit gets hurt, the player doing the targeting should be held out a minimum of two weeks.

This. Add in a hefty fine for that player too.

NFL announced a $100m spend in concussion research. Throwing money down the drain, when stiffer penalties can prevent it totally.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the league agreed it was dirty. Thomas Davis is suspended for 2 games
I'd be a happier with 2 years lol... but I guess 2 games is more realistic.... especially since it seems like most of these get reduced to one game anyway.

John Kowalczyk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. Add in a hefty fine for that player too.

NFL announced a $100m spend in concussion research. Throwing money down the drain, when stiffer penalties can prevent it totally.
The NFL knew about this whole concussion issue as they had previous players who retired having the same issues and it is finally catching up to them as the CTE brain disease makes sense to why repeated blows to the head would cause permanent damage. They hand painkillers around the league like it’s candy and because of the brain disease, we have Calvin Johnson retiring early which is exactly what I would do after learning more about CTE and how more and more former athletes are experiencing the same symptoms. The MLB took a big hit on $$$ after taking their performing enhancing drugs and testing for them more seriously because I enjoyed watching Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds hitting 50+ home runs every year but when they got serious on testing for steroids + anything else, I will be honest and say baseball is not as entertaining to watch without all the home run hitters I grew up watching. The NFL knows exactly what their doing by not getting serious with that because let’s be honest, have you looked at these NFL players in person and imagine how they got to the size they are? I’ve seen Julius Peppers and I could not believe how big he was, watching him on TV made me think he is a pretty big guy but I seriously did not imagine him that enormous. NFL is all about money and they will do whatever it takes to bring in more profit, I honesty believe football will be gone within 15 years because of the CTE brain disease issue as it is becoming more and more apparent that repeated blows to the head is causing permanent damage after these players retire and knowing that, you would have to be dumb to keep playing knowing your life after retirement will be hell and that it will bring dementia is enough for me to risk that.

John Kowalczyk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...as-davis-suspended-two-games-for-hit-on-adams
Dirty is an understatement and the appeal will lead to a 1 game suspension which is idiotic because that is not enough punishment as you can see it’s not stopping players from doing it and what grounds does Davis have to appeal that? It is going to turn into a 1 game suspension because he will somehow convince the league that it wasn’t intentional and at point we must have been watching a different game because everyone including a Carolina fan can admit that was clearly intentional.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL VP of football operations Jon Runyan handed down the punishment, telling Thomas in a statement: "During an interception return, you took a path toward your opponent who was pursuing the play and delivered a violent and unnecessary blindside block to his head and neck area. You have been previously fined for violations of safety-related rules. Your actions yesterday warrant an escalation of discipline, not only because they were flagrant, but also because of your status as a repeat offender."

I am not so sure the suspension will be reduced to a fine or one game based on this.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, 2 games? It'll hit his pocketbook, but if I'm a coach or owner? He'll be fresher for the playoffs (plus he loses a game check?.... owner get's to KEEP his game check.... or does the league get it??)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not so sure the suspension will be reduced to a fine or one game based on this.

They should start off with 2 games and then keep doubling it (2, 8, 16, Permanent Ban) for repeat offences. So by 3rd offence, you know he's getting a season long sitout.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should start off with 2 games and then keep doubling it (2, 8, 16, Permanent Ban) for repeat offences. So by 3rd offence, you know he's getting a season long sitout.

Single game increments is the right way to go. People will stop watching football if they see start players get banned for a whole month because of one stupid play.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...as-davis-suspended-two-games-for-hit-on-adams
It makes you wonder how many deals Hoodie has made with the devil. This hit gets two games but Gronk's flagrant, after the whistle hit with a several step running start on a downed player only got 1 game.

At a minimum, they should not permit the penalized player to return to play until one game following the medical clearance of his victim. I'm open to what the maximum penalty may be if the victim is IRed for the season or it's a career ender.

Reaction score
Until you hit them in the pocketbook nothing changes. I’m not talking about $25,000 either. I’d start at $100,000 then double each incident
(200K, then 400K, then 800K) until it stops altogether of until the offender has to take out a loan to payback the fines because they exceed their salary. Half of which should go to the unlucky recipient who had his head bashed in

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Single game increments is the right way to go. People will stop watching football if they see start players get banned for a whole month because of one stupid play.
You know what? I don't care if people stop watching up to the point of threatening NFL franchise bankruptcy. I don't think heftier suspensions or kneeling down for the national anthem gets you anywhere near close to that. In fact, despite all the consternation over the state of the game and the falling ratings, the league just sold another $2 billion in media rights.

The game doesn't need to be this big, nor do the stadiums or the salary cap, for it to be football worth watching.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well it'll be difficult to categorize the second offence as 'one stupid play'. Considering the seriousness of a concussion, I think is warranted.

And I doubt NFL will lose any fun if people stop making illegal hits. It'll just get better and safer without cheap targeting shots.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes you wonder how many deals Hoodie has made with the devil. This hit gets two games but Gronk's flagrant, after the whistle hit with a several step running start on a downed player only got 1 game.

At a minimum, they should not permit the penalized player to return to play until one game following the medical clearance of his victim. I'm open to what the maximum penalty may be if the victim is IRed for the season or it's a career ender.

Rob Gronkowski was not a repeat offender. Jon Runyan was very clear in his letter to Thomas Davis that he lost two games because of his fine history.

H

HardRightEdge

Gornk was not a repeat offender. Jon Runyan was very clear in his letter to Thomas Davis that he lost two games because of his fine history.
The outrageousness and egregiousness of the Gronk hit should have been equated to a repeat offender.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do games have to be appealed? The decision should be the decision. Final!!

Appeals are at the player's discretion. A.J. Green decided not to appeal a $42,000 fine for throwing Jalen Ramsey. down by the neck and punching him several times, which I thought deserved a two-game suspension. You know how players are about money, playing time, etc. They don't want to lose a cent.

Members online

Latest posts