Super Bowl I to be shown on NFL Network

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowl I: The Lost Game will air on Friday, January 15 at 8:00 PM ET on NFL Network
Forty-nine years to the day after the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs squared off in Super Bowl I, NFL Network will be the first network to ever replay this historic game on television....

Considered to be the Holy Grail of sports broadcasts, the CBS and NBC tapes of the game were either lost or recorded over and no full video version of the game has existed…until now....

In an exhaustive process that took months to complete, NFL Films searched its enormous archives of footage and were able to locate all 145 plays from Super Bowl I from more than a couple dozen disparate sources. Once all the plays were located, NFL Films was able to put the plays in order and stich them together while fully restoring, re-mastering, and color correcting the footage. Finally, audio from the NBC Sports radio broadcast featuring announcers Jim Simpson and George Ratterman was layered on top of the footage to complete the broadcast.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...00-PM-CT/2675b39a-f328-47bc-8f6f-2ae44c035ea0

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowl I: The Lost Game will air on Friday, January 15 at 8:00 PM ET on NFL Networkhttp://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...00-PM-CT/2675b39a-f328-47bc-8f6f-2ae44c035ea0

What I recall of the weeks leading up to the broadcast was that this was a fairy tale unique event about to happen. The AFL and NFL lived in almost different worlds. As kids we watched teams play from both leagues. CBS had the NFL contract at the time. ABC had the AFL from 1960-1963. Then NBC picked it up in 1964. Jack Buck broadcast the AFL Game of the Week when it was on ABC. Curt Gowdy and Paul Chrisman took over when it went to NBC. The NFL had 15 teams that 1966 season and the AFL had 9. The NFL had regional broadcasters weekly like they do now. The color analysts were very mundane compared to those there today. Both networks wanted to do the game. I don't think it increased the audience. Just the big egos of the owners. No NFL team had ever played an AFL team before this one. Not even in a preseason contest. So it was hard to measure anything. Kids dreamed of their favorite AFL team going against their favorite NFL team. We never thought it would happen. What was sad is that the game was played in the LA coliseum that saw over 90,000 fans attend for each of the three 1959 World Series contests. Only about 63,000 attended the AFL-NFL championship.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I vaguely remember watching SBI. I was young then, and my Dad and brothers always gathered around the TV for football. I usually watched the first half, then got so excited about football that I would go out in the yard at halftime and play football with my friends.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts