Spitz promoted to starting right guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSonline:

Jason Spitz, a third-round pick out of Louisville in April, got the call at right guard when the Green Bay Packers opened up their third week of voluntary practices on Clarke Hinkle Field, joining second-round pick Daryn Colledge.

Spitz, who had been running with the No. 2 offense, replaced Junius Coston. Spitz had filled in for Coston on the second day of workouts when Coston was not in attendance.

But on Monday, the coaching staff gave Spitz what appeared to be a merit-based promotion.

"I'm making improvements all the time, picking up the offense and those kinds of things," Spitz said. "But as far as how it'll end up, I don't know. I guess that's up to the football gods."

The 6-foot-4, 313-pound Spitz started his final 39 games at Louisville, splitting time between left and right guard, but was drafted by the Packers with the thought he'd initially be a center. With Scott Wells appearing entrenched at that position, though, and the Packers' need for linemen who can move in their new zone-blocking scheme, Spitz slid over to guard.
------------------------------------------------------
Very interesting. Now THIS is what I call battling for a job! Yee-haw! (sorry)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where did it say he struggled(im not saying he didnt, but where)?

Reaction score
Oh my bad trom, I got 2 articles mixed up.

In Christl's blog, he wrote: "Rookie Jason Spitz replaced Coston at right guard with the first unit Monday. Coston admitted he had a rough practice Friday. But Spitz on his first real chance with the No. 1s struggled in one-on-one pass blocking. Although Spitz's strength is his punch, he sometimes overextends himself in delivering it. That happened on his first turn against Williams. On his second turn, Spitz couldn't handle Allen's bull rush. That's an area where Coston has struggled, as well: Pass blocking."

Blog can be found here. :)

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am extremely worried about this offensive line. I'm not sure you can win with all that youth starting. I'm not sure we can win with Wells. You know, he just hasn't done it yet. I do believe you have to have talent to win and my hope is that TT has provided enough talent, but two rookies and a second year guy who didn't play scares the heck out of me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I am extremely worried about this offensive line. I'm not sure you can win with all that youth starting. I'm not sure we can win with Wells. You know, he just hasn't done it yet. I do believe you have to have talent to win and my hope is that TT has provided enough talent, but two rookies and a second year guy who didn't play scares the heck out of me.

Made his initial pro start vs. Detroit (Dec. 12 2004 ), helping Packers to 116 yards rushing in 16-13 win;

I like Wells, in fact I think he is just as good as Flanny was at the end of his time here..

Last year I was not worried to much before the season started..I thought our line coach ( larry) would have had whom ever ready to get the job done...I thought there would be a drop off, but not to the extent of what happened..But then again so many injuries all over the place did not help matters..

This season I am holding out hope that it wont be bad, but until we see them play as a UNIT we really will not be able to tell..

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

It's been done before. The Patriots won a Superbowl with Mankins and Kaczur (sp?) when they were rookies. And I'm not worried about Wells. He'll be fine.

I'm worried about our passing game...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as has been said...youth concerns me...and even though spitz was bumped up based on merit, he didn't shine once w/ the first teamers. Yes it's early, but are there an more June 1 cuts out there?!? :)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

I feel you PackedHouse, unfortunately many on here seem to think everything will be fine. The problem is that it is hard for some people to understand that the O-line is where your whole offense starts. If we had these same issues with the Running Backs or Wide Recievers people would understand.

I am in no way trying to knock anyone but the Guard/Center position is possibly the toughest position to play on offense, which people who have never played will never understand. It's alot of technique being operated in a small amount of space. One missed read or a lapse in proper form and it's hello backside.

I realize this is hard for your average fan to understand. I can tell you right now this O-line is going to be less than spectacular this year. I would almost go as far as saying it will be the same, perhaps worse, than last year. Sadly, noone here wants to hear that. They think because we drafted several guys that it will be at least acceptable, which it may, but you don't win many games with an "acceptable" line.

The line will prevent this team from going anywhere this year. I think .500 or 9-7 with a first round exit from the playoffs, is about as optimisic as one can be. I will get bashed for the O-line stuff but that's fine. I am confident come September people will have that little bubble bursted.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
packedhouse01 said:
I am extremely worried about this offensive line. I'm not sure you can win with all that youth starting.

All that youth? There is 2 possible rookie starters, but it will likely be a rookie starter and a 2nd year starter.

'All that youth' ? eh...i guess thats subjective.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Spitz comes up big that would be a huge boost for this line. I don't think anybody expected him to contribute much this season. Hopefully he is being given a chance because of what he can do.....not what others can't do.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
longtimefan said:
packedhouse01 said:
I am extremely worried about this offensive line. I'm not sure you can win with all that youth starting.

All that youth? There is 2 possible rookie starters, but it will likely be a rookie starter and a 2nd year starter.

'All that youth' ? eh...i guess thats subjective.

Trom, what do you not understand. Outside of Clifton and Tauscher, you have no experience. Scott Wells is only a 3rd year player and basically has only 1 full season under his belt.

Coston, basically a rookie
Spitz, rookie
Colledge, rookie
Moll, rookie
Whitt, second year
Klemm, sucks period

When you have a line it consists of 5 guys. If 3 of these guys have been in the league for less than 3 years and all you have behind them is more of the same, its usually called YOUTH!

This line is young......PERIOD! I am sorry you fail to understand that

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Subjective. Wrong.

3rd year is supposed to be the breakout year, and in Wells 2nd, he showed he can play at a high enough level at center to be a starter. Where is the worry there? Are you worried that he will...get better? Cuz that is the only thing that can happen, especially in this line scheme where a player of his size\abilities is ideal.

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Spitzs will start along with Colledge and I think that's a good sign for the OL. This OL should be better then last year with Spitz and Colledge starting with good back up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder..Ross Verba started at left tackle ( wasnt it left tackle??) his rookie season and it seemed to work out ok..They went to the SB

I know he was a higher draft pick but he was still a rookie..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
No. Subjective. Wrong.

3rd year is supposed to be the breakout year, and in Wells 2nd, he showed he can play at a high enough level at center to be a starter. Where is the worry there? Are you worried that he will...get better? Cuz that is the only thing that can happen, especially in this line scheme where a player of his size\abilities is ideal.

So a guy in his 3rd year is considered a veteran? Sure he played last year but he is still young. Did you see this line last year? Wells SHOULD improve but guessing that he will is nothing more than that, a guess.

So, where is the improvement with this line? 2 rookies and Coston are not going to make this line dramatically better. In fact with the scheme they are running it could very easily head south if Colledge,Spitz, and Coston don't do the job. If that happens, where are we going to turn?

It doesn't matter, the O-Line is in big trouble this year. You can paint your rosey picture and be optimistic but I am realistic. Of course I want it to be OK but I am realistic. These guys could very easily be the future of the Packers, though I doubt it, but it won't be pretty this year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how anyone can say that Colledge\Spitz\Coston won't make the line 'dramatically better' didn't watch the Klemm\Whitticker debacle.

There is no rosey picture, just common sense.

Saying Wells will improve from his already solid play, is not a guess, it is logic, considering his age and physical abilities(which fit in to the new scheme).

and your "2 rookies and Coston are not going to make this line dramatically better. In fact with the scheme they are running it could very easily head south if Colledge,Spitz, and Coston don't do the job. If that happens, where are we going to turn?" line is laughable. GB didn't draft the 2 guys, to NOT fit in to the system. LOL. And Coston was a target for the Falcons(same type of scheme) as well. So...yeah...

Sorry.

But if "big trouble" is code for "improved offensive line" then yeah, I agree.

Wow. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, you definitely are quite humerous. Its like trying to explain Algebra to a 4 year old. You do not understand zone blocking, it obvious.

How are these 2 rookies going to be better. What proof do you have? Just because it was horrible last year you are saying it can only get better? Ok, I will agree with you Trom. We took a Horrible line and made it Terrible, thats better!

Wells getting better is not Logic, if this was the case Wells would just continually get better. Fact is players can improve but obviously thier comes a point when you just are what you are. How come Klemm has not gotten better?

You know nothing about this line, you have never seen them play together yet you state it's dramatically improved?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Wells should get better in any system, as he continues to improve.
2. Wells should flourish in this system that works to HIS attributes.

Common sense tells you(well not YOU) that he will play at a high level.

No, Wells will not continue to get better every year, as there are peaks with football abilities, usually associated with age and body deterioration.

You haven't seen them play together yet either! LOL, but you say they AREN'T dramatically improved?

On paper, the line appears to be better. The mere fact that Klemm isn't there makes the line better. Addition by subtraction.

Man....IM me on AIM (tromadz) let me educate YOU on some things, sonny boy.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Man....IM me on AIM (tromadz) let me educate YOU on some things, sonny boy.

Trom, I don't think you can educate me on anything, my friend. I mean perhaps you can show me how to use MySpace, or play Video Games, or be unemployed and spend all my days on PackerForum, but the X's and O's of football is something I live daily, or at least 8-9 months out of the year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I work with computers(im at work right now, till 5). Maybe I should pull a pyledriver, and since I work\worked with computers, I can be a complete ******* and belittle other people who supposedly do not know as much about computers as I do. PFFF. You are a joke, and are entertaining me till 5, don't you realize that? Dance for me, clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts