Speak up, Packers, if you don't want Favre

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=3475850&sportCat=nfl

Did Green Bay Packers management get dropped on its head as an infant? Tumble down a long row of Lambeau Field concrete steps? Suffer a series of second-degree concussions?

If not, there needs to be a shareholders meeting of the only fan-owned team in the NFL. Somebody needs to ask general manager Ted Thompson why he's gone underground on this Brett Favre un-retirement thing.

So far, the Packers' PR department has issued a "The Packers have no reaction." And Thompson, who wouldn't interrupt his vacation to comment, has been as useful as a grand piano in a marching band. But, of course, his silence says everything.

Thompson doesn't want Favre back. Not now. Not after Favre's official "It's over" announcement. Not after backup Aaron Rodgers was handed the car keys for the minicamps and OTAs (organized team activities). And not after Thompson dropped Favre from the 80-man roster and then drafted two other quarterbacks.

It all makes sense until you ask a simple, essential question: "Is my team better or worse with Brett Favre at quarterback?"

That's it. Nothing else should matter. Thompson's job is to construct the best possible Packers roster. And if he thinks Rodgers is better than Favre, then Thompson needs to submit his resignation yesterday.

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, called this scenario more than four months ago. He told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Thompson did "nothing" to encourage Favre to continue playing.

That could mean two things: Thompson respected Favre's decision, or Thompson wanted to staple gun Favre's name to the NFL retirement list. I'm going with the staple gun plot.

When it comes to football, Favre is a grown kid. He played like a kid. He retired like a kid, all gooey, tearful and conflicted. He said he was retired, "but I know I can still play."

So the Packers closed the book on the Favre era, even though they should have known better. Check that. Packers coach Mike McCarthy knew better (he predicted Favre's "itch" to return), but Thompson didn't. Or didn't want to.

Thompson ought to be in Hattiesburg, Miss., right now, asking ... no, begging Favre to return. Whatever it takes -- ride shotgun on Favre's tractor, wear Wrangler jeans, spring for the worms at the local bait and tackle store -- Thompson should do it.

his can't be about agendas, egos, strategic plans, salary caps or Rodgers. If Favre had done what everyone expected him to do earlier this year -- announce he was coming back in 2009 -- Rodgers still would be on the bench. And anyway, if the Packers are so thrilled with Rodgers' potential, why exactly did they draft Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh?

Favre is a living, breathing soap opera, but in a good way. We all know this. He's playing ... he's retiring. Playing ... retiring. What else is new? He waffles. But when you're just 38, and you can still throw the ball through sheet metal, and your team is good enough to make a long playoff run, well, waffling is an acceptable emotion. He was weary in March, now he's not. It happens.

Ignore for the moment that Favre is a three-time MVP, a nine-time Pro Bowler, owns a Super Bowl ring along with just about every meaningful passing record, and is coming off a 4,000-plus-yard/28-touchdown season. Instead, stay in the present.

The only NFL quarterbacks better than Favre right now are:

Tom Brady. Peyton Manning. And, uh ...

See what I mean? There are 32 teams, and Brady and Manning are the only two QBs you can absolutely, positively say are superior to Favre. And just to be polite, I'll add Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees and David Garrard to the mix.

That's eight. Maybe.

So there are at least 24 other teams, including the Packers, who have starting quarterbacks less desirable than Favre. Again, nothing against Rodgers, who finds himself between a rock and a legacy, but if the goal is to win as many games as possible, Thompson has to embrace Favre's possible return.

On the flip side, Favre owes it to the Packers to publicly announce his intentions. Back-channeling is nice, but the secret is out on this one. So release a statement, whatever, and tell everyone what you want to do. No more vague, half-denials.

Look, Michael Jordan retired three times before it stuck. It didn't make him any less of a legend, any less of a Chicago Bulls icon. His career was defined by what he did in that uniform, not by what he did with the Birmingham Barons or Washington Wizards.

The same goes for Favre. If the Packers don't want him in 2009, or if Favre doesn't want the Packers, it doesn't lessen the bond between him and Green Bay's fans. That relationship is as tight as a green and gold square knot.

A season or two of Favre in some other team's uni would be weird, but not unprecedented. Joe Montana finished his career with the Kansas City Chiefs, but in the end, he will forever be known as a San Francisco 49er. Favre and the Packers are also joined at the chin strap.

The Packers' training camp begins July 28. Between now and then, Thompson needs to understand there are worse things than having Favre as Green Bay's starting quarterback.

Like, not having Favre as Green Bay's starting quarterback.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not going to end til the season starts.

Back on topic, Favre hasn't released a statement saying he wants to return. Why should the organization release a statement if they want him back or not? I hate this journalism/media crap.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all makes sense until you ask a simple, essential question: "Is my team better or worse with Brett Favre at quarterback?"

Bingo! I want an SB ring. If Rodgers is better than Favre, start Rodgers. If Favre is still better, start Favre but give Rodgers clean up duty when we're winning.

Well, Brady was the MVP last year. Favre was the runner up MVP.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Back on topic, Favre hasn't released a statement saying he wants to return. Why should the organization release a statement if they want him back or not? I hate this journalism/media crap.

Yes, it's all speculation.

But to be honest, PF.com was boring in the offseason before this happened. At least it's jumping again.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And Brady would have been nowhere near that trophy if he didn't have the All-Pro Offensive team around him. Honestly, I think Peyton is the only QB better than Favre right now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

And Brady would have been nowhere near that trophy if he didn't have the All-Pro Offensive team around him. Honestly, I think Peyton is the only QB better than Favre right now.

Heh, Peyton kind of blew it in the Playoffs in '07. Peyton also wasn't that good in the SB. It's just Lovie Smith gave them an SB win because he SUCKS as a Coach.

So is Peyton really better than Favre? Green and Gold lenses aside, it's a tough call.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:
Zombieslayer said:

Heh, Peyton kind of blew it in the Playoffs in '07. Peyton also wasn't that good in the SB. It's just Lovie Smith gave them an SB win because he SUCKS as a Coach.

So is Peyton really better than Favre? Green and Gold lenses aside, it's a tough call.

Agreed, it is a tough call. Favre has extremely high points and low points while Peyton is more on an even keel. At least we can agree that Brady is grossly overrated. :lol:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i agree... that is a terrible article. so uninformed.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the Packers should at least release a statement saying whether or not they've talked with Favre. Something like yes we've spoken too Favre and know the situation or Favre has not contacted us about a return and therefor the Packers are treating this as a rumor.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article was beyond stupid. "Why won't Thompson respond?" 1 paragraph later it mentions he's on vacation.

Wow.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Favre owes it to the Packers to publicly announce his intentions."

...I seem to recall Brett saying these are all rumors. But hey why let that stop you from writing your story.

Reaction score
mi_keys said:
"Favre owes it to the Packers to publicly announce his intentions."

...I seem to recall Brett saying these are all rumors. But hey why let that stop you from writing your story.

And right after Brett's brother says there is truth to the rumour, and Favre's mother comes out to say that Brett wasn't "wanted" by the Packers.

It's a story because Favre has let it become one. The media certainly aren't helping matters writing stories to fill these slow news days re: NFL, but Favre can easily end the "rumours" by saying he's staying retired.

Or better yet, he can sign the papers to make his retirement official with the NFL.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why, maybe he wants to come back? Can't Ted and MM go along with their normal offseason routine? Can't they ask Brett? Can't they tell Brett No?

Brett's family speaks, It's Bretts Fault? I have a sister who is a loud mouth, I wish she would **** but she doesn't. Not my fault.

This just in.....Brett is also responsible for rising gas prices

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why, maybe he wants to come back? Can't Ted and MM go along with their normal offseason routine? Can't they ask Brett? Can't they tell Brett No?

Brett's family speaks, It's Bretts Fault? I have a sister who is a loud mouth, I wish she would **** but she doesn't. Not my fault.

This just in.....Brett is also responsible for rising gas prices

This just in, comparing your situation to Brett's is idiotic. Our retirement won't be anything like his. our family speaking out of line isn't anything like his. You just don't get it.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this article is bias and I supprot Favre's return to the Packers.

But I think the Packers are to blame just as much. If this talk happened between Favre and MM, MM and TT should have immediately gone down to the Favre's place and talked about it instead of it leaking out like this.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I laugh at this line from the article:

"And Thompson, who wouldn't interrupt his vacation to comment, has been as useful as a grand piano in a marching band.""

I have seen a Grand Piano in a marching band, in a parade, it was not only useful, but very effective and impressive. How they put a grand piano in a marching band was they used an invention from 3,200 years before Christ. The invention of the wheel.

T.T. has the "Wheels" rolling on this team, the wheels of youth, the wheels of depth, wheels of solid coaching, and wheels of building through the draft.

Why the heck should T.T. "Re Invent The Wheel." by allowing Bus Cook to manipulate his plan.

Brett is the icon for Green and Gold pride. But there is a time to move on for all of us, mortals, and Super Stars. I think Cook is manipulating him, messing with his mind, and just being a general jack ***.

I knew this would happen. I posted this thought that there is no way he will not be back, right after he made his retirement speech.

I wish I was wrong. It is making me sick, as I knew it would.

T.T. has the wheels rolling. Why any one want to roll those wheels into a ditch for the sake of the past is beyond me? You bring Brett back, and everything T.T. has done is in the ditch, because Rodgers will be toast from a confidence and attitude stand point, and I would not blame him based on the number of regular game snaps he has had because Brett needed to me coddled as a starter and "BE" the man regardless of the score and how far the Packers have been ahead late in the game.

All of the extra work in mini camps to take advantage of his strengths in the "O" is thrown into the ditch along with the wheels of progression if Bus Cook is allowed to get his 10% from Green Bay next year.

BY THE WAY... NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE STRENGTHS RODGERS HAS THAT BRETT DOES NOT, THAT THEY WERE WORKING ON?

THAT IS FODDER FOR IT'S OWN THREAD BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
All of the extra work in mini camps to take advantage of his strengths in the "O" is thrown into the ditch along with the wheels of progression if Bus Cook is allowed to get his 10% from Green Bay next year.

BY THE WAY... NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE STRENGTHS RODGERS HAS THAT BRETT DOES NOT, THAT THEY WERE WORKING ON?

THAT IS FODDER FOR IT'S OWN THREAD BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY.

good post. but that would have to mean that they could accept that someone has a strength over Brett Favre. and good luck with that.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article was beyond stupid. "Why won't Thompson respond?" 1 paragraph later it mentions he's on vacation.

Wow.

I can't speak for TT, but if work called me when I'm on vacation, I pretend I don't have the phone with me.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
gopackgo said:
Zombieslayer said:

Agreed, it is a tough call. Favre has extremely high points and low points while Peyton is more on an even keel. At least we can agree that Brady is grossly overrated. :lol:

No dissagreement here

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A coworker and I just were chatting about this, what if the Packers are really just waiting for Favre to commit?

What if they are just remaining silent so they aren't seeming to push Favre into comming back or staying retired?

What if they are allowing what Brett always has asked for in the past, time to sort it out on his own with his family?

So at the end of the day, both sides know Brett is committed and ready to lock it up for another year?

It is at least pausible that would be the reason they are being quiet on this front, letting Brett make is decision and then go from there.

Well there you have it.. Lisa's alternate view on this.. this on the heels of her Cubs rub it in rounds cuz the Brewers lost.. but she has a point I guess.

Chicks that dig sports rock..

Members online

Latest posts