So how would you guys feel if we let DJ Williams start for a while over Finley??

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, I know...

But it seems that Williams is having a great camp so far. He looked awesome in the first padded practice from what I could see. Was catching everything. Not sure where his blocking is at but I'm not sure Finley is that good of a blocker anyways, and is usually split out wider.

Finley still seems to be struggling with the drops and I'm wondering if he is getting complacent with being the starting TE for this team. I wonder what the Packers starting Williams over him for a while would do for his ego or his attitude and work ethic?

Just a thought, bored today so I'm coming up with crazy thoughts lol!!

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Step 1 - make the playoffs.
Step 2 - don't turnover the ball once there.

So, whatever is necessary to get 1 and 2 is fine by me.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather go the passive-aggressive route: let Finley start but have Williams get the majority of the snaps!

H

HardRightEdge

It will not happen and it should not happen. Camp is one thing, game play is something entirely other. If Williams shows in the preseason what he showed last season, I wouldn't be so sure he'd make the squad. If Quarless wasn't out of commission, he'd be squarely on the bubble.

You can say what you want about Finley's knucklehead tendencies, but there is no question about his outstanding work ethic.

Reaction score
:eek: WHAT!

Does everyone forget that Finley SCARES defensive coordinators?? He is the biggest mismatch on the team besides Rodgers. It is up to Finley to catch passes. The defensive coordinator simply cannot rely on that!

What do you do if Finley motions out wide? How do you cover him up the seam with a linebacker? He is one of the few players in the NFL to open up the whole passing game. He helps to keep the safeties honest when lining up opposite to Jennings/Nelson. Let's just forget you asked that question!

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, I know...

But it seems that Williams is having a great camp so far. He looked awesome in the first padded practice from what I could see. Was catching everything. Not sure where his blocking is at but I'm not sure Finley is that good of a blocker anyways, and is usually split out wider.

Finley still seems to be struggling with the drops and I'm wondering if he is getting complacent with being the starting TE for this team. I wonder what the Packers starting Williams over him for a while would do for his ego or his attitude and work ethic?

No, nope, negative, notta, narp. Im not sure he is even the number 2 TE on the team right now. The team likes Crabtree for his blocking and he is not like some lineman coming off the line guy can run a route and catch the ball when it comes his way.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, this is what boredom does to me lol...

I was never saying that Williams is the better TE, I was simply noting that it's all great and wonderful hearing how "Scary" Finley is, and how he's a nightmare matchup... but when does all that 'promise' turn into production??

Gronk is a nightmare matchup. Graham is a nightmare matchup. Finley, he's a favorable matchup up to this point. He doesn't dominate anyone. Potential to? Yes. Has he actually done it? No.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see how Finley does during the season. If he continues to be a human backboard when the ball comes his way then something's gotta be done.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I know, I know...

I'd think he is injured. That would mean the Fin and every other TE has taken a big step back

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at the long term in this situation. Finley is injury prone and possibly the most arrogant TE in the league, Williams has tons of potential. Realistically, not this season but next year if he progresses give him a lot more looks because Williams could be the TE of the future and he won't command a bloated salary that he likely doesn't deserve.

Finley will be paid a la Javon Walker in the TE world and be decent at best. Something about the guy throws me off and I wouldn't even mind if he was gone this season IMHO. Williams is very raw, given time I think he can be just fine. During a night game last year one of the announcers said at first we thought 84 was a WR, then realized it was DJ Williams because of his speed and crisp practice routes.

I would rather have a guy be better at his routes than "freestyle" that just sounds like a turnover or monster hit waiting to happen. Keep Finley for now, get Williams ready for the future. Too many important players on that roster above Finley that deserve a bigger contract.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
See, this is what boredom does to me lol...

I was never saying that Williams is the better TE, I was simply noting that it's all great and wonderful hearing how "Scary" Finley is, and how he's a nightmare matchup... but when does all that 'promise' turn into production??

Gronk is a nightmare matchup. Graham is a nightmare matchup. Finley, he's a favorable matchup up to this point. He doesn't dominate anyone. Potential to? Yes. Has he actually done it? No.

7 catches, 85 years and 3 td vs the Bears last year wasnt dominant?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Last year, Finley put up the best production by a Packer tight end ever. What more do you want?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Rodgers doesn't have tunnel vision like Brady and Brees. He doesn't zero in on one or two guys all season long. On top of that, he has 3 or 4 more legitimate targets than those guys have. Do you really think Graham or the Gronktard would have had the same stats as a Packer last year? NO WAY.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I look at the long term in this situation. Finley is injury prone and

One injury in 4 years isn't "injury prone".

possibly the most arrogant TE in the league,

No, that title belongs to Graham.

Keep Finley for now, get Williams ready for the future.

If Williams represents our future at starting TE, we're in trouble. The coaching staff threw their support behind Finley and TT re-signed him for good reason. They're not stupid.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley will be the starting TE just as he should be. Finley has been limited in camp due to some nagging injuries. Plus don't get overly hyped about some training camp high lights.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It was ONE game. Not going to pat him on the back for ONE game when he's been in Green Bay for what? 4 years now? I remember like 2 or 3 standout games. That's it.

You didnt say he needed a certain number of games...dont forget, he was gone for the SB year for a good share of games

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If DJ wins the starting pos then good for him. He would deserve it. That would put more pressure on Finley. Best cow tipper I mean best man win

Members online

Latest posts