Sherm Locked Up....

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Sherman Could get a New Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 24 May 2005 23:09:44 -0700

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman is entering the final year of his contract. The Packers and Sherman likely will sit down later this summer, in August, and try to reach agreement on a deal that will keep Sherman in Green Bay for years to come. Both sides want to have a new deal work out. In the past five seasons, he is the fourth winningest NFL head coach.
-------------------------------

I really believe he deserves this even though he's manager skills suck. I just hope its no more then 3 years.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*cough* what about Bates *cough*

Let's not get a head of ourselves here and lock Sherman in to something we may regret.

Maybe a 2 year extension or something, let's not get crazy here..

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman does have his ups and downs but, the Packers are 3 time division champs. Maybe Bates is the best thing that has happened in a long time to the team as a whole. Locking Sherman up is a good idea, but not for more than 2 or 3 years, see what happens, then make a decision. By then Favre will probably be gone and we will have to see how he operates the team without the number 1 star. Then a real decision will have to be made. Favre likes Sherman, why should we **** Favre off by not renewing Sherman's contract. Just my thoughts, he does well with Brett, when he does retire (hopefully not soon) the we will see how good of a coach he is.

IU_packfan

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman was handed one of the top offenses in the league, with a Hall of Fame QB in his prime. He lost one reciever(Freeman) and got another(Walker). He was given a #10 pick. The defense was mediocre, but Donatell did a fine job with what he had. Last year the D fell off the edge. Considering what Sherman was given, he has underachieved after the first year. But Sherman was an inexperienced head coach.

Now he has the experience and can concentrate on coaching so it's time for him to get the job done. That would be a run at the SB. If the D improves to mediocrity we should be able to do that. If they improve the top 1/3 we should be one of the very top contenders.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No disrespect to anyone but I think we all need to approach the "Jim Bates Era" with a little caution. He does seem like an excellent coach and all, but look at the tools he had to work with in Miami. Ogunleye and Taylor at both ends putting unreal pressure on the QB, Zach Thomas roaming the middle, and not to mention one of the best cornerback tandems in all of football. If he turns our defense around, I will anoint him but not until then. Sorry, just my thought...

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
No disrespect to anyone but I think we all need to approach the "Jim Bates Era" with a little caution. He does seem like an excellent coach and all, but look at the tools he had to work with in Miami. Ogunleye and Taylor at both ends putting unreal pressure on the QB, Zach Thomas roaming the middle, and not to mention one of the best cornerback tandems in all of football. If he turns our defense around, I will anoint him but not until then. Sorry, just my thought...

of course...that makes perfect sense ND. you're just being a realist and theres nothing wrong with that at all. however it would be fair to say he's an obvious improvement over Slowik, no? i do think that provides a legitimate reason to expect a better show on D.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
NDPackerFan said:

of course...that makes perfect sense ND. you're just being a realist and theres nothing wrong with that at all. however it would be fair to say he's an obvious improvement over Slowik, no? i do think that provides a legitimate reason to expect a better show on D.
A good balance of viewpoints on both sides.... And, I may be wrong here... but ND's comment about Miami was leading towards the final results on the Season last year for Miami, in total... NO? Their Offense just plain stunk all year last year.. with exception to the very weird and somewhat ridiculous New England game - which was a total Twilight Zone. If you go back and read their stats - Miami was definitely better with Jim Bates in there - and to boot, what was the real reason Bill Belicheck was offering a position to Bates, again.....? Think about it - a SuperBowl winning HC... vying for Jim Bates just as we were, at the same time.... hmmmmmmmm!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Miami was on the up and up during the last part of the year with Bates at the helm. In fact, many 'fin players wish he would have been given the job. Bates is an obvious improvement over Slowik without question. I like the approach they're taking with the young D-Lineman (good bye Cletidus, nice knowing you!) but I'm still pretty nervous over the secondary that may have gotten worse :( !

Note: I said MAY because you can't know how much improvement Carroll or Thomas will make in their 2nd year yet. We're talking HC in a couple years for Bates and I just want to see what he makes of this defense first...that's all. Right now, I'm a big Jim Bates fan because I know who ran the "D" last year and it was downright rotten :evil: :evil: :evil: Good Riddance Slow-Ick!

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we got worse in the secondary. We lost Darren "I can tackle better than him" Sharper and we replaced Mark "I am the worst starting safety in the NFL" Roman. I would take Freeman and Little over those two scumbags.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It remains to be seen. I'm going to take the same approach with Little and Freeman as I do with Bates. A "wait and see" approach...don't get me wrong, because I hope they all do extremely well and they probably will. I just remember signing Roman and how it seemed like he was going to be the answer that we were looking for back then. I'd like to think that our D-Line will improve because Bates sounds like a stand-up guy that will sit guys who give minimal effort. Our secondary may improve because of an improved pass-rush that has been lacking.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard a interesting rumor at counter of my favorite "hangout" Restaurant while having Juice & English muffin. That should lend creditability to the rumor. This was suppose to come from a source in the Packer office. My source says is creditable. I usually don't deal in Rumors, that I can't personally check out, but I will anyway.Ha! Ha! The first shot has been fired in renegotiation of Mike Sherman's contact if this rumor is true. The Packer's have supposely offered Mike Sherman a three year contract. And he turned it down!! Where it goes from there(if the rumor is true) stay tuned!! I was just about to post a message commenting on the posters all agreeing that Packers should offer Mike Sherman a two or three year contract & no longer. I was going to say he would probably be insulted and reject the 3 year contract. He is still very unhappy about losing his General manager position, and this 3 year contract (if true) would make him much more unhappy. The Packers will probably come back with another proposal Well if the rumor is true. should make for an interesting 3 months or so. Never a dull moment even in the off season. I can't substanstiate any of this but it is worth what it cost me. Nothing!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care if they offer or let him walk... especially if what you say might/could.... be true!

Number One - If he lives by his words, then any contract whatsoever would be good enough for a guy who supposedly cherishes being on the Staff with the Green Bay Packers. You guys have all read the remarks Mikey comes up with in interviews... all the time. Now, on a personal level, I like the guy, really - but, on a business level - he has yet to relieve himself of the one albatross that has held him back from being on a "Winning Team" - and that's Tom Rossley - whom, if I could prove it, had money on the Eagles in 2003 and therefore had a vested interest in making sure we lost.. but that's a different story for a different Twilight Zone.... Just the same, we all know what happened back then, and Sherman kept quiet and fired the other guy like nothing on the Offense ever goes wrong, ever....

Times change - I'll be glad we weren't on the losing side of the NFL under Sherman, but just the same, we never went anywhere either... stagnant is a word that comes to mind.. If TT decides to give the reins to Bates - that's fine with me - at least, we'll be rid of Rossley in the process... or damn well better be. The ticker tape tells the story, guys... it's not personal with me - I've never met the guy and this is about football.. and nothing else... The Packers deserve better - we've healed ourselves on Defense - NOW, its time we healed ourselves on OFFENSE!

I would make it mandatory - if Sherman wants an extension - He must fire Rossley in the process!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sherman doesn't agree to a contract extension, I think he could easily get a coaching job somewhere else next year because of his won/loss record. There are a lot of teams out there that would kill for his record. It's hard to say though if Sherman would be able to get the GM title along with it.

I got the impression the other month that Sherman's agent was kind of pressing to get a deal done in Green Bay. So I was under the impression that Sherman still wanted to stay in Green Bay despite losing the GM title. Time will tell though I guess.

If the rumor is true, maybe Sherman turned it down hoping to get a better contract offer from the Packers. If he stays, he's going to have to take a paycut since he lost his GM title. At the moment Sherman makes more money than TT. So maybe Sherman is trying to squeeze out a little more money from the Packers. It's hard to say. Just guesses and speculation on my part, which could be totally wrong. There hasn't been to much reported on the subject lately, as both TT and Sherman seem kind of tight lipped about it.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first rule of negotiating is never take the first offer. This is posturing and nothing else. St. Mike will be back in Green Bay with at least a four-year deal.

If he does walk, which is highly unlikely, I also don't think Bates gets the HC position. It's not because he's not qualified, but rather because he's simply too old to be given his first HC position. LIike it or not, the NFL is on a youth kick with HC positions, and I think it's simply too late for Bates.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TD - You might be wrong about that assessment - I'm leaning towards TT viewing this as a talent-oriented approach... A younger HC.... may be more "fashionable"... but not necessarily what's right for GB. How many of you were off the deep end with the picks he made during the NFL Draft? Quite a few, I would gather... eh? Same thinking goes here.... The Packers may have been behind the curve with Holmgren and his getting the DUAL ROLE of HC and GM - but this time around, I think they're more on-target with "getting the right thing done".

Sherman's not exactly another Mooch or Chucky, either.....
Personally, I could care less what the latest "trend" might be with a public image on HC's... The Packers can do whatever they like, as long as it works for us... screw trying to be like other people in this league!

The younger guys aren't necessarily winning everything these days, either... Sherman's problems with winning have always been a lack of focus on Defense preparation and a certain "golfing partner" OC who can't learn from his own mistakes....

You watch - if Sherman walks.... Bates gets the call!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Topackerfan--I am in agreement with you but it could be a five year contract. Jim Bates age is against him, he has a few games at the end of season for Dolphins under his belt as a head coach.. A Team usually wants a coach for a period of years not a caretaker for few years and retire. A Excellent co ordinator doesn't always make him a good head coach candidate. Change of head coaches dosn't always equate to a better team. Sometimes the opposite happens. Remember this present Packer coach is just behind the top three best coaches in Packer History--Lombardi, Holmgren, Lambeau and then Sherman-their winning percentages with the Packere are over .600. The top 4 coaches have most of the playoff games and all the Championships. You could count the play off games the rest of 9 coaches won on your one hand and had a below .500 winning pecentage except Rhodes at .500. Remember Sherman has one more season on his contract, this '05 team could make some of posters regret their posts of Packer's '05 season demise . Remember unusal things can happen during these years of parity with Free agency & Salary cap. Last year a 3-13 in "03 Charger's team went 13-3 in '04. Anything can happen in the new century in the N.F.L.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
...If he does walk, which is highly unlikely, I also don't think Bates gets the HC position. It's not because he's not qualified, but rather because he's simply too old to be given his first HC position. LIike it or not, the NFL is on a youth kick with HC positions, and I think it's simply too late for Bates.

I agree. Bates is kind of in the same boat as Fritz was when he was with us, and Jim Johnson of the Eagles and Monte Kiffin of Tampa are in now with their teams. They are all highly regarded, but they don't seem to get many interviews for head coaching positions because of their age.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will always be someone who does not like the coach no mater what.
I think Thompson is being patient as he has shown so far.

They will have to work closely together so it is best to see if they get along and how they work together.

Bates is an option and leverage on Sherman.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts