Shazor still on board

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry - LL - If NO ONE ELSE in the NFL thought enuf of this guy to take him with the EXTRA picks they had at the end of the 7th round - then, I'd say "uh-huh NO WAY" - The Pack doesn't need the headache... Even Belicheck let him walk and he's pretty good at grabbing lower tier guys who can take on the Superbowl... I'd leave this one be! I liked him at first, too - but obviously, there's something to the entire NFL giving him a pass.... and no one is likely more shocked than Ernest Shazor... trust me... We'll have to just search on the web, or listen to Sports Radio to find out the dirt - 'cause there's sure to be some!

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just talked to my boy in detroit and the radio said shazor signed a 2 yr deal with the cards. we missed the boat on this one.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ernest Shazor has been one of the best safeties in college football over the past two seasons. He came in as a highly sought after recruit, and even though he still has room to grow, he has lived up to expectations. Shazor was All Big 10 as a sophomore and junior, a Thorpe finalist this past season, and was recently named to various All American teams. His two year totals from his sophomore and junior seasons are 141 tackles, 18 for loss, and 4 interceptions.

Ernest Shazor is a super sized safety. He possesses awesome size for a safety, and is bigger than some pro linebackers. He throws that weight around the field, and is a force against the run, and a huge hitter over the middle. But he also possesses very good athleticism and good speed to drop back into coverage.

Shazor could still use some more experience in deep coverage. He can bite on fakes and take himself out of position down the field. With more experience, he will develop a better feel in coverage however. Another concern is his size; he may out grow the safety position. He is almost 230 lbs now, after a couple years in a pro conditioning program, he could easily become too big to play safety in the NFL. It gives him intriguing potential as a linebacker, but he

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
I JUST DON"T GET IT

nope neither do I...last I heard, Shazor's speed concerns might drop him to a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick...not out of the draft completely

Shazor wont remain a safety, he'll move to OLB and be a good coverage LB that can hit and still be impressive against the run. If he has the potential everybody thought he did before saturday, he'll be a good player.

I wanna see Green Bay make a run at UNLV safety Jamaal Brimmer. Rated highly among safeties by some scouts...lacks speed (so what if his 40 time was .2 slower than it should be, its on astroturf, indoors, we play on grass, hell every team does, i hate the importance of the 40)...anyway, Brimmer was a very accomplished college safety, great instincts, can support the run, I wanted him in the 7th round too, but whatever,

Same with UConn DE Tyler King, undrafted, 6'6 and has potential at DE, ditto South Carolina DE George Gause, wow, a lot of talent slipped thru the cracks in my opinion

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
we play on grass, hell every team does, i hate the importance of the 40

i agree. a guy could run a 4.2 everytime he's ever clocked but if he comes out and runs a 4.5 one time at the combine, then he's slow.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the idea that Shazor will prbably be made a OLB, and then trend into a good coverage guy... it makes more sense with his size... especially since he's known to bite like that against the coverage as a Safety... There's still something missing in the tale on this guy... 32 teams took a pass during Draft Day.... What is it - Hey? Keep your ears open!

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much for that idea, Shazor was signed by the Cardinals today. Which isn't the worst news in the world for me, since I live in Arizona. Not that Shazor is all that, but the Cards have had 2 great drafts in a row now and plugged some holes in FA this offseason. I think they have a shot at winning the West this year...no, really.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
I know he had a wrist injury/surgery recently, but there has to be more to it than that ?
Leinart just had tendonitis surgery on his elbow - and that's the real reason he didn't want to come out as the number one pick this year... The truth about Shazor will come out soon enuf - wait for it!

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if there is a problem with Shazor, where's the risk in signing a street FA? Worst thing that can happen is that he doesn't make the team.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likewise, CB/S, Brandon Browner, Oregon State, 6'4" and 205. Rated in top 10 of many CB boards. Hard to imagine why these guys haven't been sought after? I now Chris Canty was recovering from an eye surgery and a joint injury and still was drafted by Dallas. Hard to understand?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard somewheres - forget now - that you don't necessariily WANT your CB's to be that tall (6'4")... and accordingly - with Ty Law as the example for now - we've seen the smaller Playes are the ones which excel at that position, which is considered "Crusoe's Island" in many aspects of the game.

I don't actually agree to this premise - but everyone can see where a more compact Player would be quicker in the turns, etc., of coverage(s)... [I guess... :roll: ]

Just a thought....

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB, I think you're spot on there. It's said Bates likes to use a lot of 1/4 Man to Man which requires Safties to have good cover skills. Shazzor fits that SS model, but Browner was a good CB in college and w/ Safety frame, I thought he might be a CB they could move to Safety? I read some time back that Brimmer was not regarded as a good cover guy either. Apparently, this isn't Browner's best asset either?

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that Browner's problem was speed, and seeing how every defender the Pack draft was fast I think Browner wasn't going to fit in Bates scheme. I'm mad we let the Lions get Swancutt instead of Montgomery.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spaulding said:
I know that Browner's problem was speed, and seeing how every defender the Pack draft was fast I think Browner wasn't going to fit in Bates scheme. I'm mad we let the Lions get Swancutt instead of Montgomery.
I'm gonna go the other way on that Montgomery comment...
I actually like the guy - that makes two of 'em his size out there....
Doesn't Donnell Washington have an arm reach of like 36 inches....
Him and Montgomery could be cousins, practically, if you stand 'em side-by-side!

On Browner - I'm more of a mind to look at his ability to cut and then leap..
Certainly, speed to get across the field is damned necessary....
But isn't Bates scheme supposed to demand that speed from ALL players?

Gonna be interesting to watch as the Season unfolds..
I just wish I had more time to read up on the Players, while I'm at the Office - when I get home, I'm too damn busy with side work...

Members online

Latest posts